Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:07 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times

Advertisements

It's been a loong time since I owned a Subaru. I loved 'em when I had 'em. I didn't have the need for 4WD or AWD. Now I do.

I looked at the web site, and I'm still confused about the different models. I'm interested in a wagon type.

Can anyone give me 'girl type' info about the Forester, Legacy (maybe that isn't made in a wagon type anymore), and the Outback?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 12:35 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post
It's been a loong time since I owned a Subaru. I loved 'em when I had 'em. I didn't have the need for 4WD or AWD. Now I do.

I looked at the web site, and I'm still confused about the different models. I'm interested in a wagon type.

Can anyone give me 'girl type' info about the Forester, Legacy (maybe that isn't made in a wagon type anymore), and the Outback?

Thanks!

Hi Rockky

For a wagon type, you will be looking at either a Forester, or an Outback. We bought a Subaru Outback last October...a 2007 model. Both models have AWD (ALL Subarus have AWD). We looked at both models on the dealers lot, and here is my take on this:
The Forester is shorter, but built a little higher...thus more headroom, but has less storage in the back. It looks sort of like a "mini-Jeep Comanche". It is more "boxy and utilitarian" looking, but costs less than the Outback....good bang for the buck. Some say there is not much leg-room in the back seats. A mini-SUV.
The Outback is more streamlined and sleek looking...looks more like a mini-wagon, than a mini-SUV. It costs more, because there are more "bells and whistles" and luxury stuff...than the Forester. It is longer, creating more room in the back for groceries, etc. Because it is a little lower to the ground, there is a bit less headroom. I have to duck my head a little getting into our Outback, but it's really no big deal.
Both models are available with the standard 2.5 four-cylinder engine, and automatic transmission, which in my experience provides entirely adequate power. The Outback can be ordered with either the turbo-charged 4-cyl, or the 6-cyl engine for more power...but mpg will suffer if you go that route, and I think the 6-cyl requires premium fuel, whereas the 4-cyl takes regular fuel. I would recommend staying with the standard 4-cyl with automatic transmission...it works just fine.
I don't know about the Forester, but the Outback has excellent handling characteristics on icey or snowy roads. Ours has never been stuck, even in snow up to a foot deep...the AWD works well. I think it would also work well in sandy, or muddy, ground.
The EPA mpg estimate appears to be accurate. (20city/26highway) If I go real easy on the throttle, ours will do 28.6mpg highway, with regular gas (no ethanol), and not exceeding 55-60 mph. (Mileage will drop to EPA estimates if you do much 65-70 mph freeway driving) (but that will happen with ANY vehicle). If you have a choice, avoid using ethanol, or ethanol blend, fuels...because they will not deliver the mpg of straight regular gas.
Hope this helps.

Bud

Old 05-07-2008, 05:19 PM

Wow, Bud!! Yes, your post has helped me a lot!!!! Thank you!!

We bought a new Subaru Wagon in the early-mid 1980s. It had on demand 4WD, and I liked it. I assume it uses less gas when you are not in AWD full time. I guess there is no such animal any more. I also had an XT (I think that's what they were) several years ago. That was fun!!

Head room isn't an issue for me....shorty.

Your post gives me a starting place when I go out lookin' IRL.

Thanks again!!

Old 05-07-2008, 05:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Subaru wagons are not limited to the Forester and Outback. Both the Legacy and Impreza also come in wagon form (though I guess the Impreza is more of hatchback shape starting with the 08 model year) without the Outback treatment if you want a wagon that looks like a normal passenger car instead of a wagon that's been dolled up to look like an SUV.

Impreza:

.Legacy:

Old 05-07-2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks, Drover. I guess I need to get out and see 'em all in person.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
The Forester isn't a station wagon-type vehicle anymore. More like a Ford Escape/Mercury Mariner/Mazda Tribute SUV.

http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com//pictures/VEHICLE/2009/Subaru/2009.subaru.forester.20224392-E.jpg (broken link)

2009 Subaru Forester XT First Drive (http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=125348/pageNumber=1 - broken link)

Last edited by mm34b; 05-07-2008 at 08:03 PM..

Old 05-08-2008, 01:18 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,882,138 times
When we were shopping, I had really set my heart on the Forester. Being a guy, I liked the SUV look, and the greater headroom. And...it just kinda looked like it was all rare'n to go to the woods and hills...to all the favorite camping spots...a sportsman's dream car. And I can get by just fine without all the fancy frills of the other models. While I was salivating and drooling over the Forester, my wife came over and informed me that she was "canceling" my pick. That instead, we were going to get one of the Outbacks she had been looking at on the other side of the lot. My protests and arguements went nowhere, and at the end of the day we drove home in "her" Outback. I guess compromises are sometimes neccessary to preserve marital bliss...
Oh well....the Outback is a nice outdoorsy car too. (But, if we ever win the lottery, I'm going back to get that Forester)...
We didn't see any Legacy or Impreza wagons, but since Drover pointed out that they do make them, you might want to have a look at those too...
I wish Subaru would make a compact AWD pickup truck...

Bud

Last edited by BudinAk; 05-08-2008 at 01:28 AM..

Old 05-08-2008, 07:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The only car I have ever owned that even comes close to my '96 Outback wagon in the snow and/or dirt roads was a VW bug with oversize tires and very stiff springs and shocks. That bug would just bounce over everything. Too bad it died of rust.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudinAk View Post
I wish Subaru would make a compact AWD pickup truck...
They did. Nobody bought them, so they were cancelled after a 3-year production run. But there's still plenty of them on the used market.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:42 AM

OK...showing my age here. Do you remember the Subaru Brats? They had those weird seats in the bed with grips that looked like the you were on a delivery table having a baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru