Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM

111 posts, read 313,752 times

Advertisements

Hello, I've FINALLY paid off my 5 yr. loan on my 2001 Nissan Pathfinder. I'm looking to keep it around because it is spectacular in the snow and great for hauling/moving big things.

I'm looking to get a new, smaller car, with good gas mileage and AWD good enough for Colorado driving. I've been leaning towards the STI. I'm impressed with the handling, turbo and overall performance of the car. I'm really not that into super modulations with a giant spoiler on the back, just looking for power and performance.

Is this a good car to start looking into?? Are there similar cars in which I should consider based on my criteria?? Some others I'm considering are the Audi A3 and A4. I owned a 2000 A4 from 04-06 and had a hell of a time keeping up with the maintenance. Are Subaru's cheap and easy to maintain??

Thanks in advance for any advice or insight you could provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:47 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Subaru's are generally very reliable cars, but you need to look into the particualr model years that are in your budget. Some of the earlier model Impreza's (and others) had headgasket issues that were corrected on later designs of the 2.5 engine.

The actual recommendation would really come down to your budget, but I would offer two suggestions:

1. The newest and lowest mileage Impreza WRX you can find. If you are not looking for flat out performance and modding, a regular WRX will suit the bill just fine and will be significantly cheaper than a STI.

2. The newest and lowest mileage Legacy GT you can find. From 2005 - 2009 the Legacy had a GT option that gave it the same 250hp engine that the WRX used and was available in both automatic and manual. It was a very nice handling and performing car, while still retaining all the nice qualities of a sedan.

If you are looking to buy used, the hardest thing is going to be finding one that has lower miles and hasn't been beat to hell. People really tend to hold on to these cars and the turbo versions and especially the STI are favorites among tuners. I think they are great cars, but you really need to be a wise shopper when buying one used and either buy it CPO or get an independent Subaru mechanic to look it over.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:58 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
The performance is excellent for it's class. My issue with the WRX is that it's a rattly, noisy, buzzy, stiff tin can. To me, everything about it is hard edged and minimal. You're buying the performance, not any comfort or relaxed driving. It's not a car I'd want to drive every day.

But that's just my humble opinion.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
The performance is excellent for it's class. My issue with the WRX is that it's a rattly, noisy, buzzy, stiff tin can. To me, everything about it is hard edged and minimal. You're buying the performance, not any comfort or relaxed driving. It's not a car I'd want to drive every day.

Which is why the 05-09 Legacy GT is such a good option. All the performance with none of the compromise.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:06 AM

That's a good point, I hadn't though about the Legacy GT. It seems so be a little bigger and roomier than the STI. I even saw some pictures of some models which had a GPS unit in them. Price point is much cheaper as well.

Quote:

This would be an everyday car, so comfort, noise level, and overall driving experience will take precedence over a high powered 300hp engine without much else. If I were 19 years old again I probably wouldn't care about rigidity, but being older now, comfort is a big plus. I'd like it to be smooth and quiet over a 10 hour road trip if needed, not listening to engine noise and feeling each and every bump in the road.

In regards to the Legacy model, is the "GT" model what I should go after, or is the 2.5i just as good??

Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Which is why the 05-09 Legacy GT is such a good option. All the performance with none of the compromise.
When you say compromise are you suggesting that the Legacy GT is comfortable, quiet, etc? I'm not familiar with that car at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac10 View Post
That's a good point, I hadn't though about the Legacy GT. It seems so be a little bigger and roomier than the STI. I even saw some pictures of some models which had a GPS unit in them. Price point is much cheaper as well.

This would be an everyday car, so comfort, noise level, and overall driving experience will take precedence over a high powered 300hp engine without much else. If I were 19 years old again I probably wouldn't care about rigidity, but being older now, comfort is a big plus. I'd like it to be smooth and quiet over a 10 hour road trip if needed, not listening to engine noise and feeling each and every bump in the road.

In regards to the Legacy model, is the "GT" model what I should go after, or is the 2.5i just as good??
Same here. My days of pure performance daily drivers are over. I realized that when I was car shopping 6 years ago, and ended up with a GTO.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmac10 View Post

Are we talking new or used?

Regardless, the 2.5i is the standard engine and makes ~175hp and is not turbocharged. These cars are also a little less optioned as there are more standard features on the GT. The GT has the 250hp turbo engine and comes with more standard features.

The big difference is if we are talking new or used. Currently you can only get a manual in the 2010 GT. On the older 05-09 GT's you could get either a manual or automatic. I personally prefer the manual on this car, but some people need/prefer the automatic.

If it were me I would go with the GT regardless of year. You get the best engine and more standard equipment. If you are after a little performance in your ride, the base 2.5i is pretty pedestrian.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
When you say compromise are you suggesting that the Legacy GT is comfortable, quiet, etc? I'm not familiar with that car at all.

Yes, the Legacy GT really makes up the deficiencies of the Impreza in terms of creature comfort and ride quality. They are also just as moddable as the WRX and STI. A guy I raced with was running 12.7's @ 105 in his with nothing more than a tune and exhaust.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Are we talking new or used?

Regardless, the 2.5i is the standard engine and makes ~175hp and is not turbocharged. These cars are also a little less optioned as there are more standard features on the GT. The GT has the 250hp turbo engine and comes with more standard features.

The big difference is if we are talking new or used. Currently you can only get a manual in the 2010 GT. On the older 05-09 GT's you could get either a manual or automatic. I personally prefer the manual on this car, but some people need/prefer the automatic.

If it were me I would go with the GT regardless of year. You get the best engine and more standard equipment. If you are after a little performance in your ride, the base 2.5i is pretty pedestrian.

Sounds good, I'd like the turbo for those drives in 8,000 feet of altitude. Besides, it give you a good zip on the highway when you need it. GT it is.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:31 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
I would save the money and get the WRX. It's just as quick due to the gearing, but the STi is built for the track better. The STi also has a better 6 speed tranny, which is why it's heavier. The STi will take more modifications without blowing up anything. For a daily driver, the WRX is the wiser choice. You can spend $~1300 for Stage2 (cobb tune, exhaust) and will be putting out 256hp/316lb-ft to all four wheels (stock is 223hp/255lb-ft).

This is a good deal at Heuberger (Colorado Springs) - Has the basics: heated seats, bluetooth, homelink/compas, sunroof:
Subaru : WRX: eBay Motors (item 120633631630 end time Nov-03-10 10:45:52 PDT)

If you want something more grown up and with leather and power everything, the Legacy GT Limited is an awesome choice. Expect to pay $30k new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru