Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2010, 11:27 AM

7,004 posts, read 21,353,794 times

Advertisements

Autocar: Next Subaru STI to go diesel, rival Mitsubishi Evo going hybrid — Autoblog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 12:11 PM

968 posts, read 2,627,132 times
deisel ain't bad.

the other side of the pond (the pacific) seem to be embracing deisels in smaller cars and doing a really good job of it, and considering the germans hashed that out decades ago, hopefully we'll see efficient deisels in domestics soon too.

i bet subaru will do very well with deisel, but i also don't see it becoming a replacement of their other offerings at all despite the lower price and rims from japan.

P.S. omg that subaru is sexay

Old 06-11-2010, 12:29 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
A little late for April Fools...

Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 PM

7,004 posts, read 21,353,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
A little late for April Fools...

Whatcha talkin bout Drover????? The report seemed legit to me.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,293,311 times
Then you must not have read it. First, they cite no sources, not even the standard "anonymous inside sources." Second, the headline states its claims with certainty while the article is heavily couched with weasel-word qualifiers. This is about as legit as an Us Weekly headline shouting "Russel Crowe is Gay!!" followed by an article stating "Russel Crowe was having lunch with his male agent and they seemed pretty comfortable being seen together."

I'll believe an STi diesel when I see it. And probably not even then.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:35 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,638,632 times
I know we have been talking about the Subaru diesel for a year now on a VW forum. Easy engine swap for air cooled VW's, a lot of 181/Thing owners are excited about it.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:24 AM

4,500 posts, read 12,359,144 times
Subaru has mentioned Diesel WRX or STi ever since they first released the new Impreza with diesel power.

Not having driven it myself, I'll rely on the words of a professional competition car driver I know who races STi's and has the diesel as an everyday car.

He says it's great, power delivery is good and the low end torque keeps going through a long power band (much like BMW diesels), being a flat-4, it also produce very little of the vibration that diesels are known for.

A diesel could very well prove to be a great idea as an option next to the WRX or the STi, the way power is delivered in diesels are becoming more and more similar to petrol powered cars (high end power), but without losing it's inherent low end torque, add onto that Co2 emission levels and fuel consumption far superior to it's petrol siblings, and they'll be much cheaper to buy and run too, with very little compromise when it comes to driving pleasure.

And no, they generally don't sound like tractors anymore either.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:52 AM

1,331 posts, read 2,635,567 times
... and this is happening in Europe and/or Asia and/or Australia where there already exist diesel Subies? Did anyone see mention of North America?

I would buy a diesel Outback or Forester. Of course I've been saying that for a few years now.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:56 PM

317 posts, read 827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
... and this is happening in Europe and/or Asia and/or Australia where there already exist diesel Subies? Did anyone see mention of North America?

I would buy a diesel Outback or Forester. Of course I've been saying that for a few years now.

They said it was suppose to happen this summer with the Forester. Then gas went down and the economy did it's thing. Fuji Heavy Industries, owner of Subaru, doesn't seem to think it will sell contrary to what Subaru of America and Canada dealer reps tell them, so they are waiting on the economy to get better, and gas prices to rise.

I heard they can turn production in about 6 months. Once they get the go ahead, they have the capacity to deliver on the cars. These would be coming from oversees and not the Ind. factory, which is weird because they are no where near capacity at the us factory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Subaru