Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:16 PM

3,555 posts, read 7,854,416 times

Advertisements

The automotive press has been talking up the Subaru diesel (2010 model, I think) and now here comes Honda with a 2009 Acura TSX DIESEL Touting 50+ mpg on the highway, it's supposed to have great passing acceleration with little of the telltale smoke and clatter of diesels.

Hmmm, Acura is a pretty popular marque, enough of these on the road might start to change some American minds about diesels.

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2008, 05:19 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,578,002 times
With Diesel being over $1.00 more per gal than reg. gas at this time. I'll pass.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:26 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,798,982 times
Quote:
With Diesel being over $1.00 more per gal than reg. gas at this time. I'll pass.
Now is a great time to buy a diesel because there is so little interest in them. As much as the truckers are complaining about the current price hike, none of them are switching to gas engines. That should tell you something.

When things balance out again, diesel will go back down in relation to gas, and people will drive the price up in the clamor to buy them. That will probably happen just about the time that the warranties (and batteries) wear out on the hybrids that everybody is paying premium prices for.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:38 PM

681 posts, read 2,914,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
From what I've read the financials on D v. G don't support your position. Could you have decided this more because of custom than reason?

Btw, if Acura and Subaru are using the advanced type of D engines they use in today's European models you may not be able to tell which is which when one passes by. They are quiet, fast and don't smell at all like the diesels I remember from a couple of decades ago.

Cheers

Old 05-18-2008, 07:57 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,013,433 times
Default AAA National Current Average Fuel Prices

Gasoline - $3.793
Diesel - $4.512

Old 05-18-2008, 08:15 PM

1,331 posts, read 2,633,902 times
Default PSA: Math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post

4.50 dollars per gallon diesel / 50 miles per gallon diesel = 0.09 dollars per mile

3.50 dollars per gallon gas / 30 miles per gallon gas = 0.1167 dollars per mile

Old 05-18-2008, 10:14 PM

26 posts, read 49,865 times
you people forget how EASY diesel is to make. (bio, veg, hell, even old motor oil can run in a diesel)

Old 05-18-2008, 10:29 PM

3,380 posts, read 9,216,082 times
I wish the government would at least do something to mitigate the cost of diesel.

I mean if you could lower the cost of diesel everything gets cheaper. Well everything that is delivered by a truck. So lets see that is just about everything!

Edit

It absolutely floors me that the Smart Car diesel did not make it to our shores. I mean what does that thing do 60+mpg?

Last edited by wankel7; 05-18-2008 at 10:44 PM..

Old 05-18-2008, 11:04 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,597,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wankel7 View Post
I wish the government would at least do something to mitigate the cost of diesel.

I mean if you could lower the cost of diesel everything gets cheaper. Well everything that is delivered by a truck. So lets see that is just about everything!

Edit

It absolutely floors me that the Smart Car diesel did not make it to our shores. I mean what does that thing do 60+mpg?
There are other diesels in Europe that do well in the mileage arena, too. Chevy's Lacetti coupe gets something like 63 MPG, while their wagon version gets about 54 MPG if I remember correctly. Why are these vehicles available there, but not here? If I were able to get that kind of mileage out of a compact car there, why couldn't I expect the same here? Everything I've heard on this issue is that the EPA won't allow these vehicles here. How does that help the environment? I'm sure that burning one gallon of diesel every 60 or so miles puts a lot fewer contaminants in the air than burning one gallon of gasoline every 30 or 35 miles.

Old 05-18-2008, 11:59 PM

2,741 posts, read 8,889,654 times
You are correct: you can "thank" the EPA for not allowing diesels in cars. For some reason trucks were exempted. (now why would a diesel in a truck burn any differently than a diesel in a car? Your right: it makes no difference what kind of vehicle it is mounted in...) Put a diesel in a truck, and you're fine. But put that same exact engine in a car, and you are breaking the law! A stupid law, but the law, nevertheless. (but then, this is what happens when politicians make the rules) Had something to do with not meeting the new emission standards for cars. What it means is the government would rather we burn 1 1/2 to 2 gallons of gas, rather than one gallon of diesel....
We could be burning biodiesel...from recycled vegetable oil. But instead, we're gonna import fresh oil from foreign countries who hate us? They will have our money, and we will have their expensive oil? So we can burn gas at 30mpg, instead of diesel at 50mpg? A bunch of those politicians need to be FIRED!

Bud
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive