Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2008, 12:00 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,010,062 times

Advertisements

Oh,

And very few black people; about what you'd expect in the Dakotas, by percentage.

Keeps certain issues out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 02:48 PM

8,260 posts, read 13,407,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Rednecks. Car chases. Country Music. California Hill Country passing for the South. Moonshine. Upcountry twang. Confederate Flags. Girls in cutoff jeans.

That's about it.

LOL- I actually liked the Dukes of Hazzard.. early episodes were shot in Conyers, GA or Covington, GA... and seemed alot more natural.Sheriff Roscoe was a little more serious and the corruption little more realistic. When they moved it to the back lot of California and the "plasticville" that served as Hazzard... it got a lot more corny and Roscoe became more of the bumbling Sheriff that he is known for today and things got a lot more whimsical... thats my take anyway.. though nonetheless still offensive to many southern communities. The Andy Griffith Show was alot more entertaining in terms of some of the highlights of small town living circa 1960s and life in North Carolina. I believe it too was filmed mainly in Cali though the "real" Siler City, NC was the inspiration for Mayberry?

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-15-2008 at 02:59 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 06:45 PM

113 posts, read 425,518 times
Quote:
Rednecks. Car chases. Country Music. California Hill Country passing for the South. Moonshine. Upcountry twang. Confederate Flags. Girls in cutoff jeans.

That's about it.
Oh, that's too funny... right on the money!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:52 PM

113 posts, read 425,518 times
Geechie North, thank for the info on Gullah. I asked a few of the teachers at school about some of the words that my students were saying, and the teachers said that I was definitely hearing Gullah. One of the kids asked me the other day if I had any churn.... I was absolutely lost as to what he was asking me!!! I made him slow it down at least 3 times & finally another student said, "He's saying children & he's speaking Gullah!"... Like I was completely stupid. It was quite funny. So now I know that churn is chidren. Ha ha. The teachers that I spoke to were in their 50's & told me all of the different words that their grandma's used to say that were gullah. I enjoyed learning & hearing about it! You learn something new every day!

Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,131 times
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned, "Bless your/his/her heart." It seems to be a pass to say anything you want to say without being construed as rude. for example, "Well, honey, aren't you just dumber than a fence post, bless your heart." When we first moved down here, I figured out that the people in the South aren't more polite than up North, just more passive/aggressive about their rudeness. I like it!

Old 12-23-2008, 12:36 PM

Default Sandlapper

Those of you from the Palmetto State may recall this term.. Sandlapper. When I was growing up here this was a term of endearment used by some people in the state to describe themselves and their residency here... I later found out that it could actually be perceived as a derogatory term. There was a song in the seventies that was called the "Sandlapper Song" sung by a bunch of elementary school kids that used to celebrate this term and a kid's television show on SCETV that discussed the State's History/Geography (Sandlapper's Corner) that was hosted by a dummy (no.. I am not insulting anyone..the host WAS a dummy or to be more PC a puppet) Was an interesting little low tech show that is probably now buried in the ETV archives........

Old 12-23-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Gullah is a patois of the coast; pure gullah is spoken by only a few older people. For a while it looked like it would become extinct but there has been a revival of sorts as people try to keep something of their traditional culture. Far more common (and what I believe you are hearing) are Gullah-influenced speakers.

Geechee is a term for people, not a language.

The mass media (e.g. Hollywood) is the reason for many misconceptions about many subjects- including the south. Until the 80's, the dominant view of southern culture in the mainstream oscillated between the "Plantation, Moonlight and Magnolias" hype, and the "Tobacco Road Redneck" view; whichever view was en vogue depended largely on whether black people were seen in a positive or negative light.
But in 1979 a show- based on the stereotypes of a guy named Morrie,who'd never been east of Nevada- changed the region's PR forever:
The Dukes of Hazzard.
The Dukes, set in Georgia, and very based on Piedmont southern culture, popularized a view of the region that was as authentic as William Shatner's toupee.
But it's the expectations that most outsiders now have for the entire southern US.

Dont... forget about the TV Sitcom... "Carter Country" starring Victor French as a small town sheriff with a bumbling Mayor .The show was kinda a spoof on the popular movie "In the Heat of the Night" and definately a subtle slight at the native son "Mista Presooodent Jimma Kotta" who I believe was in office when the show aired. The mayor's "Roy, Handlit Handlit" was one of the shows memorable reoccuring lines.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:58 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,566,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
. I believe it too was filmed mainly in Cali though the "real" Siler City, NC was the inspiration for Mayberry?
I thought Mt Airy [Andy Griffith's hometown] was the inspiration but Frances Bavier was from Siler City.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I thought Mt Airy [Andy Griffith's hometown] was the inspiration but Frances Bavier was from Siler City.

I believe you are correct... my mistake

Old 12-26-2008, 01:38 AM

835 posts, read 2,309,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Those of you from the Palmetto State may recall this term.. Sandlapper. When I was growing up here this was a term of endearment used by some people in the state to describe themselves and their residency here... I later found out that it could actually be perceived as a derogatory term. There was a song in the seventies that was called the "Sandlapper Song" sung by a bunch of elementary school kids that used to celebrate this term and a kid's television show on SCETV that discussed the State's History/Geography (Sandlapper's Corner) that was hosted by a dummy (no.. I am not insulting anyone..the host WAS a dummy or to be more PC a puppet) Was an interesting little low tech show that is probably now buried in the ETV archives........
I know of an auto-repair shop with the word Sandlappers in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina