Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 PM

4,465 posts, read 7,997,031 times

Advertisements

Again the absolute predominance of the Piedmont/Upland dialects over the Coastal ones.

"Children" are "chirren" in those patois.

And "wrench" is a verb:

"Wrench ya mout."

Never be ashamed of a regional accent, whether it's the Southern (Upcountry) of "Come yonder fuh suppa." to the still-kicking Euro-Midwesternese of "Whistle me out when use come, so Ma'll see who I'm wit, en so?".

Anchor man/woman American is not the standard anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 PM

135 posts, read 525,627 times
My great-grandmother (85 yrs old) will say..."For truth? "(If something is surprising to her).
Also, my grandmother calls the sink a "basin", which I always thought was funny.("Go put that in the basin") If we started talking gullah/geechie sayings, I could go on for several more pages, lol.

Old 11-16-2008, 10:39 AM

Same here.

Miss hearing the language with its sweet sound.

How about "spang", meaning "A far distance to travel."?

As in: " 'E done run spang over to Jim (another one, pronounced "Juhm") Island."

Old 11-17-2008, 08:24 AM

8,223 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Lee Atwater - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here's Atwater's bio. He's the guy who taught Rove everything he knows about sleaze/lies/dirty tricks. Note that in his last days he repented of the racist-based politics he'd help export from the outhouse to the national stage, and converted to Catholicism.

He definately was a character.. the program stated that before he died that the he wrote letters and apologized for the "dirty tricks" but some of the folks who knew him said it was an "act" ... I guess only God knows now.

Bow= a salute or term of endearment+++" Hey Bo" of course the flips side of this would be more of the classical use as "beau" or "boo" (my boo)in reference from a woman's title for her man.

Jeeezus H Christ= cursing

Gawd Almighty= more cursing

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
He definately was a character.. the program stated that before he died that the he wrote letters and apologized for the "dirty tricks" but some of the folks who knew him said it was an "act" ... I guess only God knows now.

Bow= a salute or term of endearment+++" Hey Bo" of course the flips side of this would be more of the classical use as "beau" or "boo" (my boo)in reference from a woman's title for her man.

Jeeezus H Christ= cursing

Gawd Almighty= more cursing

My guess is Atwater's conversion was legit.

South Carolinian politicans are like the feudal monarchs of old:

They spread hate and agitatation that directly or indirectly contributes to murders, but they also internalize ehough of the Christian ethos to be scared s***less of paying for their deeds in the afterlife.

So before the clock runs out on the game, why not try a "Hail Mary"??

Old 11-18-2008, 02:05 PM

543 posts, read 2,363,665 times
My mom will say "over yonder" and all my life I have wondered where yonder is! LOL! Can someone explain?

Old 11-18-2008, 05:42 PM

In Romania, it's "Mai la munti" ("Over the mountain"). Which mountain?

In Brazil, it's "La" (out there).

In Australia it's "The back of Bourke."

In my family, it is " Just down the road."

Same place.............................

Old 11-25-2008, 01:26 AM

293 posts, read 826,512 times
My family on my father's side always said "Folk" instead of "person".

When my girlfriend get upset...or talk to her family back in Charleston I chuckle when i hear her say "EYE NOH RYTE" (I know! Right)

"Go'ne up dere to see yo people" aka "Go ahead to visit your family" (Up, Down and Ova are interchangable depending on location...if u travel north...that's Up...south that's Down and Ova is if it's not to far away or east/west)

Gead Dey!!! translated "Great Day"....but it's usually used when something startling is seen or heard

Nem is really Them

'round hea = Around Here.... usually used to convey the location you are currently at... "He ain't from 'Round Hea"

Old 11-25-2008, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
My family on my father's side always said "Folk" instead of "person".

When my girlfriend get upset...or talk to her family back in Charleston I chuckle when i hear her say "EYE NOH RYTE" (I know! Right)

"Go'ne up dere to see yo people" aka "Go ahead to visit your family" (Up, Down and Ova are interchangable depending on location...if u travel north...that's Up...south that's Down and Ova is if it's not to far away or east/west)

Gead Dey!!! translated "Great Day"....but it's usually used when something startling is seen or heard

Nem is really Them

'round hea = Around Here.... usually used to convey the location you are currently at... "He ain't from 'Round Hea"
I literally lol'ed when I read this post. I do say those things when I with my people. I purposely didn't put "I'm", j/k. They don't understand up here in DC..

Old 11-25-2008, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
Same here.

Miss hearing the language with its sweet sound.

How about "spang", meaning "A far distance to travel."?

As in: " 'E done run spang over to Jim (another one, pronounced "Juhm") Island."
Alright, you got me on "spang". I do know about Jim Island or we would call it DTI-Down The Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina