Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,116,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Chucktown is more a creation of Generation Xers....I liken it to Charlie Brown being called 'Chuck'
Sorry, I am a gen Xer and a lifelong resident of South Carolina and never heard of it! Maybe it is something out of towners do that locals don't?

Charleston is a very conservative, proper town; sticklers for protocol and that would never fly. My great grandmother is rolling in her grave!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,961,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Sorry, I am a gen Xer and a lifelong resident of South Carolina and never heard of it! Maybe it is something out of towners do that locals don't?
Perhaps it started with the CofC students, but "Chucktown" is a fairly common nickname with locals as well.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:47 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,473,451 times
"
Originally Posted by Woodlands
Chucktown is more a creation of Generation Xers....I liken it to Charlie Brown being called 'Chuck'"

Quote:

Charleston is a very conservative, proper town; sticklers for protocol and that would never fly. My great grandmother is rolling in her grave!
It's been called Chucktown for as long as people named Charles have been called Chuck. I'm from here too, and for as long as I can remember we've all called it chucktown now n then... and when they finally incorporated N.Chas it became North Chuck

sorry, but it happened wayyyyyy before the X'ers were even a twinkle in theirs mom's eyes...

Old 01-10-2012, 07:55 PM

1,195 posts, read 3,473,451 times
Quote:
No one ever uses Chucktown to refer to Charleston. As a life long resident, I never heard the term until I started reading this board.
not sure what closest you were raised in but I've heard it called that for the last 50 years, I myself have used it off n on since I was a kid... once North Chas finally became N.Chas and not just the "north area" we started calling it North Chuck too

I was raised all over Chas,, from downtown, James Is., West Ashley... as an adult in all of those and in Goose Creek, N.Chuck, and in S'Ville for the last 15 yrs... I've called it and heard it called that in all of those places...

Old 01-25-2012, 02:06 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,177 times
git shed of - get rid of
piddlin' - small amount
uppity - what Northerners are
fixing - getting ready
kin folk - your relatives
people - your relatives
show - the movie theater
I gots to - I need to
Buerick - Buick
chuck - throw
Dinner - Lunch
Suppa - Dinner
hankering - urge
nearbout - almost
okra - a vegetable Northerners will not eat, especially stewed
hear tell - heard
light - sit down - quit running around and light somewhere.
pine float - glass water, toothpick and a napkin
no count - good for nothing
furriner - Northerner
letback - convertible
right - very - It's right cool in here.
you rekon - do you think
spect so - probably is
cheer - here
hi yew - how are you
swanee - swear - I swanee - I don't here it much any longer
figure - work out. I am trying to figure out Northerners
riled up - angry
chitlins - hog intestines
sweet tea - its what you drink for dinner and suppa
sass - backtalk
the war of northern agression - civil war
**** or go blind - no options available. When he saw the damage he did not know whether to ...
cold drink - a soda
gimme some sugar - give me a kiss
ugly - acting badly. Don't be ugly now.
red eye gravy - the gravy made from frying country ham
pok likker - the liquid left from cooking collards
homeade sin - ugly - She is uglier than homemade sin.
winder - window
going uptown - going to the city

Old 01-26-2012, 08:53 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,672,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meks View Post
not sure what closest you were raised in but I've heard it called that for the last 50 years, I myself have used it off n on since I was a kid... once North Chas finally became N.Chas and not just the "north area" we started calling it North Chuck too

I was raised all over Chas,, from downtown, James Is., West Ashley... as an adult in all of those and in Goose Creek, N.Chuck, and in S'Ville for the last 15 yrs... I've called it and heard it called that in all of those places...
This might be the same as is San Francisco, CA called San Fran or Frisco?

Is Huger St. You-gee, Hue-gee, Hugg-er, Huge-er? Some of it depends on what side of the tracks you were brought up on even when a local....LOL

Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
You probably picked it up from a transplant and didn't know. That's what's happening with that horrible "you guys" phrase.
I live a few miles above the South Carolina line in North Carolina and hearing someone call a person anything "guys" makes me ill as a hornet. The origin of the word "guys" is a person of grotesque appearance. It is so ill-mannered to call anyone "guys." That is a four-lettered word that I wish had been left up North.

When I hear someone say the word "guys" that is a red flag that the person saying it will never be up to my social level. Political candidates need to realize they are on very thin ice when they constantly spout the "guys" word. I don't care what the dictionary says, it is a bad word to me. I don't usually vote for people that "cuss."

Old 10-21-2012, 07:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
My grandparents were from Laurens, SC, Aiken, SC, Wrens, GA, and Jackson, GA. I grew up in Evans, GA and Aiken, SC.

"Lissun heer nah"= Listen here now= to get your attention
"Gon git you a switchin"= Going to get a switching= a switch was a bush limb used for spanking
"yawnt to"= Do you want to
"done did"= already done
"catch cold"= have a cold
the word "on" is pronounced "own"
"straddle of a stump"= knocked down or over
[SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri]I am very thrilled finding this website. I am 50 plus years old and from Charleston, SC. My parents are from Orangeburg County and because of their accentI talk fast , not geeche. Mainly, older people from surrounding regions in SC, sounds Geeche. Such as Kingstree, Santee, Cross, James Island, etc. I travel a lot and because of my SC accent, people constantly ask me what island I am from. [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri] I have never heard anyone refer to N. Charleston as Chuck Town. Do anyone know nickmanes for other places in SC?

[/FONT][/SIZE]

Old 11-07-2012, 03:18 AM

2,277 posts, read 2,656,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millcreek View Post
[SIZE=3]I am very thrilled finding this website. I am 50 plus years old and from Charleston, SC. My parents are from Orangeburg County and because of their accentI talk fast , not geeche. Mainly, older people from surrounding regions in SC, sounds Geeche. Such as Kingstree, Santee, Cross, James Island, etc. I travel a lot and because of my SC accent, people constantly ask me what island I am from. [/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][SIZE=3] I have never heard anyone refer to N. Charleston as Chuck Town. Do anyone know nickmanes for other places in SC? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Think you maybe wrong on two accounts. Chuck Town has been around like the person said above; since North Charleston became a city.
And Geeche is a take off of the way people from the islands talk, not Santee, etc.
I've lived here almost 70 years.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:47 AM

505 posts, read 941,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
When I hear someone say the word "guys" that is a red flag that the person saying it will never be up to my social level.
Pathetic, but thanks for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina