Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 10:20 PM

3 posts, read 7,835 times

Advertisements

lol @ livebyoptimism. I never understood why we call Lane "Lanes", but we do.

I'm originally from the Andrews, Kingstree, Lane, Greeleyville area. Blakely/Trio to be specific. Never knew I had an accent until I moved away and came back. I live in DC now. I spoke to a girl from home a couple days ago & it makes me miss SC a lot.

I miss people saying "fay-ist" instead of face.

"Poe-lease" instead of Police.

"I finna go to "Jee-orge Coo-puh" to buy some buttsmeat", instead of I'm about to go to Cooper's Country Store to purchase two dollars worth of Salt Butt... which I think is still wrong.

I asked someone up here to "drop'me off at the head ada road" and they completely stopped the truck in the middle of the street, because they didn't know what I meant.

I still say things like "Ope'nawindo" only to find people looking at me like I'm crazy. lol

I say things like "You gut any churn" to women up here just because I know they gonna smile and ask me "What did you say,Where you from?" I usually reply, "I frum sou kach/sou kurlina. I bun out chere sunce Janu-ury." My sister-in-law always tries to get me to talk different & act like I'm from DC, but I refuse to.

Its a lot of terms that people from my area use. I'll get into that a lil layta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:31 PM

6 posts, read 17,001 times
Personally, I don't think you should try to learn the slang. It only adds to the "uneducated redneck" stereotype South Carolina is unfortunately recognized for.

(I don't mean to offend anyone! I swear!)

Old 04-01-2009, 09:38 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
A person called me a cracker once.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:44 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,027 times
Does everyone out there know the origin of "cracker"?

(Hint: Think Kansas cowtowns, only circa 1720.)

Old 04-01-2009, 09:55 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,003,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio_damarco View Post
lol @ livebyoptimism. I never understood why we call Lane "Lanes", but we do.

I'm originally from the Andrews, Kingstree, Lane, Greeleyville area. Blakely/Trio to be specific. Never knew I had an accent until I moved away and came back. I live in DC now. I spoke to a girl from home a couple days ago & it makes me miss SC a lot.

I miss people saying "fay-ist" instead of face.

"Poe-lease" instead of Police.

"I finna go to "Jee-orge Coo-puh" to buy some buttsmeat", instead of I'm about to go to Cooper's Country Store to purchase two dollars worth of Salt Butt... which I think is still wrong.

I asked someone up here to "drop'me off at the head ada road" and they completely stopped the truck in the middle of the street, because they didn't know what I meant.

I still say things like "Ope'nawindo" only to find people looking at me like I'm crazy. lol

I say things like "You gut any churn" to women up here just because I know they gonna smile and ask me "What did you say,Where you from?" I usually reply, "I frum sou kach/sou kurlina. I bun out chere sunce Janu-ury." My sister-in-law always tries to get me to talk different & act like I'm from DC, but I refuse to.

Its a lot of terms that people from my area use. I'll get into that a lil layta

Thank you.

Had not heard/read "buttsmeat" in over 3 decades.

It was a common word growing up.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,515 times
Just get a book on jeff foxworthy...that will let u know how we talk here in the south....some say we are rednecks....who knows..maybe we are

Old 06-13-2009, 09:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octiskeet View Post
Personally, I don't think you should try to learn the slang. It only adds to the "uneducated redneck" stereotype South Carolina is unfortunately recognized for.

(I don't mean to offend anyone! I swear!)
UNEDUCATED? I DONT THINK SO..THATS NOT FUNNY..JUST BECAUSE WE TALK WITH A SLANG DOESNT MEAN THAT WE ARE DUMB FOLKS..EVIDENTLY U ARE THE DUMB ASS!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:06 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,307,324 times
i love the slang down here. it took me awhile to get used to it but it's interesting to here people talk different. my favorite of all is YA'LL that one is the best and i have even picked up on it when i talk. the thing about REDNECKS is they aren't just from the south their all over the country. just watch the show redneck weddings and you will see they come from all over. also i might add is that people from down here are very freindly.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:58 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octiskeet View Post
Personally, I don't think you should try to learn the slang.
I can't speak for the others but personally I don't want to learn "SC slang" to use it myself, but to (at least try to) understand what people tell me. I live here now so communication is key! So this thread helps a lot, believe me!

Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,307,324 times
i don't think you'll have to learn it because you will probably start to pick it up over time since you will be around people that speak it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina