Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:34 AM

835 posts, read 2,306,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnord View Post
Are these slang terms across the board, as far as "black vs white"? Are there differences between black slang and white slang, and accents? Just curious.
I was asking about things like South Kahlina because it seems only Lowcountry/Charleston/Geechie/certain words in some older white folks, etc. would not pronounce the "r". Aside from these groups, the only other people who wouldn't that i can think of are black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 02:38 PM

4,465 posts, read 8,000,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestposter24 View Post
Geechie North, just curious but what dialect are some of your slang terms from?

Is it Charleston or Geechie or black folks that aren't Geechie?

I live in the Upstate and don't really hear some the words you have pronounced by white Southerners here. Ex: South Kuhlina, etc.

The "slang" (actually a patois- language combo of African and peasant English tongues) I am using here is actually based on Gullah, the language of the Rice Culture.
The Upcountry (e.g. Upstate), and for that matter what they now call the "Midlands", were never part of this area for climate and geographical reasons, and therefore are not areas where you'd hear these terms.

FYI, Gullah is the derivation for what some call "Ebonics", and Geechies can be either black, white, or a mixture.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:49 PM

765 posts, read 1,911,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie
North;6451298

The "slang" (actually a patois- language combo of African and peasant English tongues) I am using here is actually based on Gullah, the language of the Rice Culture.
The Upcountry (e.g. Upstate), and for that matter what they now call the "Midlands", were never part of this area for climate and geographical reasons, and therefore are not areas where you'd hear these terms.

FYI, Gullah is the derivation for what some call "Ebonics", and Geechies can be either black, white, or a mixture.
She Or He could not reproduce geechie or gullah dialog here because it is spoken FAST ... you gotta know it to ...KNOW it

Old 12-06-2008, 03:08 PM

Y'eddy bou gullah?
Bin speekem all time, fo' tru.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,612,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Ever heard of Mosquito Beach? Where is it? Went to College with some guys from Chucktown and they used to say that you should never go to Mosquito Beach or and area on the Pennisula called "Back The Green"? If you let me know I will give you a "case quotah"
"Case quotah" is mostly used by older black folks here in Alabama. My first job was working in a convenience store, and a black lady came in and handed me a dollar and asked for a "case quotah". I said "you want a case of what?".

Old 12-07-2008, 10:26 AM

113 posts, read 425,129 times
So I want to know more about the geechie & gullah. When I moved down here in August, I guess I was expecting everyone to have some form of a country accent. Well, when I went to school (I'm a teacher) my first day, I thought that many of the people had these weird accents... almost Jamacian or from some islands somewhere. I had never really heard anything like it. & it was pretty hard for me to catch on to what they were talking about. They all talk really fast all the time. So is what I'm hearing geechie or gullah? When I talk to people from Ohio (where I'm from) they always ask about the counrty accent... and I just don't know how to explain to them that is def not what I'm hearing. And info would be appreciated! Oh, I'm living in the little town of Lane... It's near Kingstree.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:23 PM

Gullah is a patois of the coast; pure gullah is spoken by only a few older people. For a while it looked like it would become extinct but there has been a revival of sorts as people try to keep something of their traditional culture. Far more common (and what I believe you are hearing) are Gullah-influenced speakers.

Geechee is a term for people, not a language.

The mass media (e.g. Hollywood) is the reason for many misconceptions about many subjects- including the south. Until the 80's, the dominant view of southern culture in the mainstream oscillated between the "Plantation, Moonlight and Magnolias" hype, and the "Tobacco Road Redneck" view; whichever view was en vogue depended largely on whether black people were seen in a positive or negative light.
But in 1979 a show- based on the stereotypes of a guy named Morrie,who'd never been east of Nevada- changed the region's PR forever:
The Dukes of Hazzard.
The Dukes, set in Georgia, and very based on Piedmont southern culture, popularized a view of the region that was as authentic as William Shatner's toupee.
But it's the expectations that most outsiders now have for the entire southern US.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post

Oh okay thanks or clarifying.

Old 12-13-2008, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geechie North View Post
But in 1979 a show- based on the stereotypes of a guy named Morrie,who'd never been east of Nevada- changed the region's PR forever:
The Dukes of Hazzard.
The Dukes, set in Georgia, and very based on Piedmont southern culture, popularized a view of the region that was as authentic as William Shatner's toupee.
But it's the expectations that most outsiders now have for the entire southern US.
Too young to have seen the Dukes of Hazzard. Could you please explain?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:08 AM

Rednecks. Car chases. Country Music. California Hill Country passing for the South. Moonshine. Upcountry twang. Confederate Flags. Girls in cutoff jeans.

That's about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina