Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2021, 04:33 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,670,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealD View Post
I feel ya dude. I used to work security for the San Jose water company when I was in college. When the area next to happy hollow was known as the jungle the water treatment area would get broke into all the damn time. No matter what we did they would find a way to get in. It cost the company so much money to maintain all the equipment in that area.

Sometimes we would catch them in the act and they would run back through a hole in the fence or the carpet over barbed wire and then it would be a mob of tweaked out homeless people all in the jungle taunting us two security guards. Only a broken messed up fence kept us at bay and there were times when we had to call in back up and run out of there. It was crazy patrolling that place at night hearing them have a schizo outbreak in the middle of the night or people fighting at 2 am in pitch black, couldn’t see any of it just hear it, scary stuff.

Eventually when the police raided the jungle and helped us out with patrols the whole culture of the few homeless people left changed. They no longer felt in control and would actively try to stop other homeless from breaking in because they knew the police would come back in force and stop there asses. Never really had major problems after that.

It sucks that you keep going through that but if there is a solution to my statement is that if you put people in line judicially they usually get there act together. It’s frustrating as hell always having to deal with break ins.
One of my daughters lives very close to the area you're describing. I can't even imagine what it would have been like patrolling it at night. You're lucky you lived to tell about it.

I heard they are evacuating that area and others along the river soon (just read this in Merc).

I am at my wit's end. I honestly don't know what to do and I can't live with this much angst all of the time.

The tools they have have to be very expensive and sophisticated (to cut huge chains, etc.).

If they applied this much effort into a regular job they would be getting awards left and right.

Does the water company still have problems, I wonder?

The most frustrating thing for me is "fighting" an invisible threat who is determined to get in. It feels like Whack-A-Mole. Literally fix one side of a fence and they get in another side. Constant. And there is nothing super valuable on display. It feels like we need a guard tower armed with BB guns. I am half-way kidding. I wish we were allowed to erect taller fences - the City won't allow it.

I have razor wire on all fences and that does not stop them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 04:49 PM

11,675 posts, read 6,104,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
16 yo girl arrested after attempting to carjack a 75-year old in SF.

Teen girl arrested in connection with San Francisco Safeway carjacking attempt caught on video
Further research reveals the Safeway was in the inner Richmond at 7th and Cabrillo. I have never been to that Safeway. I went to some in the Richmond when I was living in the Sunset District but that one doesn't ring a bell. There aren't many groceries in the Sunset and Richmond. Pickings are kind of slim, so I'm surprised I never was at that store.

https://sfist.com/2021/03/16/deplora...at-sf-safeway/

Old 03-22-2021, 04:55 PM

11,675 posts, read 6,104,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
It's most of CA, as far as property crime goes. Car alarm, home alarm (and any other alarm you can get), ring app, and cameras should be standard for every home/business at this point.

Until 2/3 of tax payers can agree that we need to build more prisons, thieves will simply go through the revolving door system we have now that puts them back on the street with in less than 24 hours. Prisons and County Jails are filled to the brim with lowlifes. So many that the overcrowding has forced Judges, State Legislature, DA's, Parole Boards and County Sheriffs to think of creative ways to let them out quickly.
I disagree. Huge portions of rural and small town California are safe enough to leave your doors unlocked at night. I wouldn't do it, but it is big urban cities where all this high property crime is focused.

Last week, I was watching my crime app while I was just joyriding around Granite Bay and parts of Folsom and El Dorado Hills. No property crime to speak of anywhere that I could find, unless there was a mall or large shopping center, but not even there really. I kept checking my app and the property crime was low to non-existent everywhere I went. Violent crime was even lower.

Old 03-22-2021, 05:40 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Yeah mostly likely as I thought the same thing when I read it. I actually posted it because I was more in shock by the student being dragged into the bathroom on Zoom class.

But you also have to wonder how much the perpetrators even knew the victim.

This car was targeted but it looks like just because the robbers saw them using the camera equipment and followed them after. Video shows driver robbed while in San Francisco traffic
Good observation, unfortunately it's impossible to know. The vast majority of burglars try to make sure no one is home. Small store owners who do most of their business in cash are sometimes victims of home invasion robberies but for the most part it's about drugs or laundered money and the suspects and victims usually know each other quite well. Another 'fun fact' about burglars is that they usually commit dozens or hundreds of burglaries before they are caught, it's almost as though they get addicted to it. When people see a rise in burglaries in their neighborhood they tend to think that there are dozens of burglars in the area and are somewhat shocked to find out there was actually only one.

Old 03-22-2021, 07:53 PM

68 posts, read 62,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
One of my daughters lives very close to the area you're describing. I can't even imagine what it would have been like patrolling it at night. You're lucky you lived to tell about it.

I heard they are evacuating that area and others along the river soon (just read this in Merc).

I am at my wit's end. I honestly don't know what to do and I can't live with this much angst all of the time.

The tools they have have to be very expensive and sophisticated (to cut huge chains, etc.).

If they applied this much effort into a regular job they would be getting awards left and right.

Does the water company still have problems, I wonder?

The most frustrating thing for me is "fighting" an invisible threat who is determined to get in. It feels like Whack-A-Mole. Literally fix one side of a fence and they get in another side. Constant. And there is nothing super valuable on display. It feels like we need a guard tower armed with BB guns. I am half-way kidding. I wish we were allowed to erect taller fences - the City won't allow it.

I have razor wire on all fences and that does not stop them.

They WILL find a way to get in. I mean they stole everything, it kind of reminds me of those prison documentaries with how clever some of them are. They stole battery operated tools from the nearby Walmart to use on our fences and for our water systems. Copper was huge theft material. They would also have power generators and beg money for gas.

They would use the generators to power up tv’s and DVD players. I remember one time I saw it looked like an Xbox was being played. One homeless guy named “ whisper” (ironic cus he was always the one to go off on meth induced psychosis screams that would last all through my shifts) would beg in the day for money for gas and what not and come back at night to watch movies. He was responsible for stealing our barbed wire to protect his assets. I wasn’t there the day this happened but apparently he used the barb wire to set up a trap that sent another to the hospital. I heard she got absolutely tore up. Ironically she had the guards that day call for 911 but was always responsible for giving us ****.

It was an entertaining job and for the most part I was never bored which is a major problem with security jobs. One of my best friends was met there and we still talk to this day. They were not lying when on the job post they said veterans with combat experience would be given first preference lol. I left after I graduated college and they transferred most of the security to a third party named “Orion security”. I didn’t trust them as a company cus I have personally seen them hire anyone with a pulse and I didn’t want that as my backup.

I got one more for you. There was a guy who used to commute from Fresno and hold post at our twelth and Martha street location, kind of an ******* but he can be alright at times, was huge into police gear. I hadnt slept the day before, was exhausted, and I was on patrol with my coworker (best friend) and we had already dealt with the jungle crowd before and some dude who was high and throwing **** at other homeless and our gate. As we get to our last spot to drop off our car (12th street) and switch shifts I told the guard at post I am gonna wait tell my wife picks us up and we will nap in the car in the meantime.

The guy complained and said it’s ok but hopefully not long. Well as me and my friend are napping we get woken up to yelling and arguments. It was two trucks full of what looked like drugged out norteno gang members arguing with the other guard. They came out with machetes and bats and demanded to be let in. The guard I gotta say was brave and yelled at them to “ **** off”. He yelled for help and then they got back in there car and started ramming the fence.

By the 3rd attempt the fence looked like it was gonna topple over soon so my friend puts our car in drive and rams the fence from the opposite direction to make a barrier on our side. We jumped out the car just as they were gonna ram us and the fence. The car had gotten smashed up on its right side. The other guard got in his truck that he always illegally parked in the permiter and drove it over to the fence and helped make a barrier. After like 8 rams the fence was just starting to bend over and it looked like they could crawl over and try to avoid the barb wire at this point. Then our next shift arrived to clear us. The guard who all I know was some Sudanese refugee just started freaking out in some high pitched yell and pointing a gun in every direction. They took off in there trucks while also hitting his car like *******s.

We were ecstatic as hell and laughing at the situation afterwards and told him to hide his gun. The police (who we called right away) showed up like 40 mins later and our supervisor showed up about an hour after. it was quite the report to write up. My wife was blown away when she showed up to pick me and my friend up and the street looked like a war zone lol. Crazy job! Anyways, rant over and I hope you get some piece of mind over this break in crap.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:48 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,670,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealD View Post
They WILL find a way to get in. I mean they stole everything, it kind of reminds me of those prison documentaries with how clever some of them are. They stole battery operated tools from the nearby Walmart to use on our fences and for our water systems. Copper was huge theft material. They would also have power generators and beg money for gas.

They would use the generators to power up tv’s and DVD players. I remember one time I saw it looked like an Xbox was being played. One homeless guy named “ whisper” (ironic cus he was always the one to go off on meth induced psychosis screams that would last all through my shifts) would beg in the day for money for gas and what not and come back at night to watch movies. He was responsible for stealing our barbed wire to protect his assets. I wasn’t there the day this happened but apparently he used the barb wire to set up a trap that sent another to the hospital. I heard she got absolutely tore up. Ironically she had the guards that day call for 911 but was always responsible for giving us ****.

It was an entertaining job and for the most part I was never bored which is a major problem with security jobs. One of my best friends was met there and we still talk to this day. They were not lying when on the job post they said veterans with combat experience would be given first preference lol. I left after I graduated college and they transferred most of the security to a third party named “Orion security”. I didn’t trust them as a company cus I have personally seen them hire anyone with a pulse and I didn’t want that as my backup.

I got one more for you. There was a guy who used to commute from Fresno and hold post at our twelth and Martha street location, kind of an ******* but he can be alright at times, was huge into police gear. I hadnt slept the day before, was exhausted, and I was on patrol with my coworker (best friend) and we had already dealt with the jungle crowd before and some dude who was high and throwing **** at other homeless and our gate. As we get to our last spot to drop off our car (12th street) and switch shifts I told the guard at post I am gonna wait tell my wife picks us up and we will nap in the car in the meantime.

The guy complained and said it’s ok but hopefully not long. Well as me and my friend are napping we get woken up to yelling and arguments. It was two trucks full of what looked like drugged out norteno gang members arguing with the other guard. They came out with machetes and bats and demanded to be let in. The guard I gotta say was brave and yelled at them to “ **** off”. He yelled for help and then they got back in there car and started ramming the fence.

By the 3rd attempt the fence looked like it was gonna topple over soon so my friend puts our car in drive and rams the fence from the opposite direction to make a barrier on our side. We jumped out the car just as they were gonna ram us and the fence. The car had gotten smashed up on its right side. The other guard got in his truck that he always illegally parked in the permiter and drove it over to the fence and helped make a barrier. After like 8 rams the fence was just starting to bend over and it looked like they could crawl over and try to avoid the barb wire at this point. Then our next shift arrived to clear us. The guard who all I know was some Sudanese refugee just started freaking out in some high pitched yell and pointing a gun in every direction. They took off in there trucks while also hitting his car like *******s.

We were ecstatic as hell and laughing at the situation afterwards and told him to hide his gun. The police (who we called right away) showed up like 40 mins later and our supervisor showed up about an hour after. it was quite the report to write up. My wife was blown away when she showed up to pick me and my friend up and the street looked like a war zone lol. Crazy job! Anyways, rant over and I hope you get some piece of mind over this break in crap.
Wow. You've got some crazy stories. Glad you survived. Sounds like complete mayhem - Wild West stuff.

Old 03-23-2021, 01:59 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,792,685 times
Quote:
I personally don't care about others cities as that wasn't really the point of this thread; to compare to other cities or act like these criminal acts are unique to here. I know they are not. But since it was brought up, what does it say about SF if it's being compared to New Orleans and the Bronx now? Not really helping your case there Mutt lol.
What is missing, is that while such has happened all through history, it is worse now from a police situation. In the past a thief would be killed, then people softened a little and they were in prison for years, then more softening and they are in a jail for a short while and then ..... Now they are ignored.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:22 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,063,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
Omg. It is NOT a CA thing. It happens everywhere. But people love crapping on CA.

https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/ani...bulldog-owners

Right...and if you point this out, you're not using "logic" or "critical thinking" according to the CA bashers

Old 03-23-2021, 04:23 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
What is missing, is that while such has happened all through history, it is worse now from a police situation. In the past a thief would be killed, then people softened a little and they were in prison for years, then more softening and they are in a jail for a short while and then ..... Now they are ignored.
They are not ignored, unless you live somewhere with a lazy sheriff who allows his deputies to do whatever they want. Every theft offense is still on the books, the felony threshold for petty theft was raised, but it has been raised in most other states as well and none of them have seen an increase in crime because of it. https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...research-shows

Old 03-23-2021, 04:34 PM

18,983 posts, read 32,714,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
They are not ignored, unless you live somewhere with a lazy sheriff who allows his deputies to do whatever they want. Every theft offense is still on the books, the felony threshold for petty theft was raised, but it has been raised in most other states as well and none of them have seen an increase in crime because of it. https://www.pewtrusts.org/en/researc...research-shows
So then why have we?

Organized Retail Theft On The Rise; Cops Blame Prop 47, Safe Neighborhoods Law

Proposition 47 Linked to Increase in Some Property Crimes, But Not Violent Crime

Thefts rise after California reduces criminal penalties, report saysl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland