Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 03:34 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,195,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Woman attacked in attempted rape at Idaho Falls park, police say
Eric GrossarthEric Grossarth, EastIdahoNews.com
Crime Watch Published at 4:13 pm, October 14, 2020

IDAHO FALLS — A Dubois man has been charged for allegedly trying to accost and rape a woman in broad daylight at Russ Freeman Park.
https://www.eastidahonews.com/2020/1...rk-police-say/
5 months ago and the guy was arrested and still in jail. Good job Idaho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2021, 11:40 AM

18,983 posts, read 32,714,847 times
SF girl, 11, reportedly forced to hide from robbers while in Zoom class

According to KGO, his house was torn apart, pillowcases taken as makeshift bags to store the thousands of dollars in cash and camera equipment that were stolen — and inside the bathroom was his cousin, hiding from the thieves who were in the house. Neither were identified by the news outlet.

She was in the midst of an online class when one of the robbers grabbed her by her shirt, dragging her into the bathroom, her cousin told KGO.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:46 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,670,042 times
I don't know if this thread is just about violent crime, but I have a commercial property in the South Bay and just got hit again (fences, locks cut).

I could barely sleep last night and am furious. We keep repairing and trying to outsmart them, but they keep coming in. This time they just rifled through truck storage units and didn't seem to get anything, but they again ruined a portion of fence, cut a chain and I guess took this new, fancy lock we had just purchased. The perimeter of the property is large and we have to keep dealing with fence issues all around. It's a nightmare.

I have been crying out of frustration all morning.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I don't know if this thread is just about violent crime, but I have a commercial property in the South Bay and just got hit again (fences, locks cut).

I could barely sleep last night and am furious. We keep repairing and trying to outsmart them, but they keep coming in. This time they just rifled through truck storage units and didn't seem to get anything, but they again ruined a portion of fence, cut a chain and I guess took this new, fancy lock we had just purchased. The perimeter of the property is large and we have to keep dealing with fence issues all around. It's a nightmare.

It's not, just crime in general including property crime which an even bigger issue than violent in much of the Bay Area especially SF. Violent ones tend to grab the most headlines so that is what I have been sharing.

I did mean to post this one about the SF supervisor car who got broken into while he was in a meeting discussing crime. San Francisco supervisor’s car broken into in front of City Hall

I'm sorry to hear about your property, I can only imagine how frustrating and stressful that is.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:45 PM

580 posts, read 519,146 times
It's most of CA, as far as property crime goes. Car alarm, home alarm (and any other alarm you can get), ring app, and cameras should be standard for every home/business at this point.

Until 2/3 of tax payers can agree that we need to build more prisons, thieves will simply go through the revolving door system we have now that puts them back on the street with in less than 24 hours. Prisons and County Jails are filled to the brim with lowlifes. So many that the overcrowding has forced Judges, State Legislature, DA's, Parole Boards and County Sheriffs to think of creative ways to let them out quickly.

Old 03-22-2021, 12:51 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
SF girl, 11, reportedly forced to hide from robbers while in Zoom class

According to KGO, his house was torn apart, pillowcases taken as makeshift bags to store the thousands of dollars in cash and camera equipment that were stolen — and inside the bathroom was his cousin, hiding from the thieves who were in the house. Neither were identified by the news outlet.

She was in the midst of an online class when one of the robbers grabbed her by her shirt, dragging her into the bathroom, her cousin told KGO.
99% Chance that the perpetrators know the victim, they knew they would have cash and camera equipment in the house. That doesn't excuse the crime, but those kind of burglaries are not an indication that your home is now at greater risk of being broken in to, so it's always a good idea to put crimes like that in perspective. Just like gang related shootings, unless you are unlucky enough to be walking or driving by and get caught in gunfire it doesn't mean that your risk of being shot has increased.

Old 03-22-2021, 01:52 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,670,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
It's most of CA, as far as property crime goes. Car alarm, home alarm (and any other alarm you can get), ring app, and cameras should be standard for every home/business at this point.

Until 2/3 of tax payers can agree that we need to build more prisons, thieves will simply go through the revolving door system we have now that puts them back on the street with in less than 24 hours. Prisons and County Jails are filled to the brim with lowlifes. So many that the overcrowding has forced Judges, State Legislature, DA's, Parole Boards and County Sheriffs to think of creative ways to let them out quickly.
I wonder if there's such a thing as a fence alarm? If not, someone could be making millions inventing one.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:05 PM

42,868 posts, read 26,375,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post

The last thing we need are more prisons, look back a decade, California prisons were stuffed with prisoners, they were sleeping in hallways and gyms and the crime rate was higher than it is now. I'm not sure why anyone would think that more prisons is a solution; you send a kid who steals a car to prison and he comes out hijacking cars and doing armed robberies, it's the best place in the world to get an advanced degree in criminality.

PS California currently has 30-40k FEWER prison inmates than they did before SCOTUS ruled that they had to reduce overcrowding.

Old 03-22-2021, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
99% Chance that the perpetrators know the victim, they knew they would have cash and camera equipment in the house. That doesn't excuse the crime, but those kind of burglaries are not an indication that your home is now at greater risk of being broken in to, so it's always a good idea to put crimes like that in perspective. Just like gang related shootings, unless you are unlucky enough to be walking or driving by and get caught in gunfire it doesn't mean that your risk of being shot has increased.
Yeah mostly likely as I thought the same thing when I read it. I actually posted it because I was more in shock by the student being dragged into the bathroom on Zoom class.

But you also have to wonder how much the perpetrators even knew the victim.

This car was targeted but it looks like just because the robbers saw them using the camera equipment and followed them after. Video shows driver robbed while in San Francisco traffic

Old 03-22-2021, 03:57 PM

68 posts, read 62,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post

I feel ya dude. I used to work security for the San Jose water company when I was in college. When the area next to happy hollow was known as the jungle the water treatment area would get broke into all the damn time. No matter what we did they would find a way to get in. It cost the company so much money to maintain all the equipment in that area.

Sometimes we would catch them in the act and they would run back through a hole in the fence or the carpet over barbed wire and then it would be a mob of tweaked out homeless people all in the jungle taunting us two security guards. Only a broken messed up fence kept us at bay and there were times when we had to call in back up and run out of there. It was crazy patrolling that place at night hearing them have a schizo outbreak in the middle of the night or people fighting at 2 am in pitch black, couldn’t see any of it just hear it, scary stuff.

Eventually when the police raided the jungle and helped us out with patrols the whole culture of the few homeless people left changed. They no longer felt in control and would actively try to stop other homeless from breaking in because they knew the police would come back in force and stop there asses. Never really had major problems after that.

It sucks that you keep going through that but if there is a solution to my statement is that if you put people in line judicially they usually get there act together. It’s frustrating as hell always having to deal with break ins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland