Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2023, 02:05 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am on vacation, Christmas break and the first 2 days has been a lot of sleep. I have been thinking, well, why not? No schedule to keep, so if I feel weary, why shouldn't I?

BUT....is this what retirement will be? No more schedules so throw it all out the door or is it just like that, for the first few days?
No. It's whatever you make it. Retirement is certainly not the same experience for every person. Surely you know that by now from all the many many threads on this topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 02:09 PM

7,573 posts, read 3,254,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I was not "indoctrinated." I simply enjoy and see the value in working; always have. The fact that you feel "relieved" not to have to get up and go to your job anymore tells me it was a negative experience for you. It wasn't and isn't for everyone.
Otter, I am not trying to offend you. I understand your attachment to work. However, isn't this argument getting kind of long in the tooth since you have had so many years in retirement that you could have gone back to work in some capacity? So, I think it is kind of hollow at this point that work that you see value in work for works' sake.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:11 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then go get a job! Everyone and their uncle is hiring.

I liked working, and I like retirement.

90% of life is learning to enjoy the hear and now, OR, changing it so you are happy.
I loved my job too. Still meet with my ex-coworkers every couple of months - they are lifelong dear friends now.

And I love retirement!

Old 12-20-2023, 02:12 PM

Tamara,

You might Google articles such as the attached that recognize and point out there are stages of retirement and the transition to retirement.

https://www.actsretirement.org/lates...of-retirement/

Old 12-20-2023, 02:14 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
No. It's whatever you make it. Retirement is certainly not the same experience for every person. Surely you know that by now from all the many many threads on this topic.
Exactly. I expect retirement to be quite the opposite, less sleep. I'll actually have time for all of the fun hobbies and projects that I enjoy doing, and will be able to stay up later and get up at the same time without worrying about being late for work. I have in-laws that are retired, and after a good night's sleep take two naps a day, back in bed. I could never nap other than dozing off a few minutes watching TV. That's wasted time, and we don't have that much left! Neither of them has any hobbies, they just watch TV all day and pay people to do anything needed around the house, even mowing their tiny lawn. Fine for them, but I couldn't "live" that way.

When I retire in the spring I'll spend my days working on a large vegetable garden, tinkering with my classic car, doing stained glass art, working on my bonsai collection, and whatever work is needed around the house and yard. This is why my work hours are now 6am-2:30pm, so I have time for a bit of work on my hobbies after work.

Old 12-20-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Exactly. I expect retirement to be quite the opposite, less sleep. I'll actually have time for all of the fun hobbies and projects that I enjoy doing, and will be able to stay up later and get up at the same time without worrying about being late for work. I have in-laws that are retired, and after a good night's sleep take two naps a day, back in bed. I could never nap other than dozing off a few minutes watching TV. That's wasted time, and we don't have that much left! Neither of them has any hobbies, they just watch TV all day and pay people to do anything needed around the house, even mowing their tiny lawn. Fine for them, but I couldn't "live" that way.

When I retire in the spring I'll spend my days working on a large vegetable garden, tinkering with my classic car, doing stained glass art, working on my bonsai collection, and whatever work is needed around the house and yard. This is why my work hours are now 6am-2:30pm, so I have time for a bit of work on my hobbies after work.
Just being "a professional homeowner" is a lot!

Old 12-20-2023, 02:40 PM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
That malaise or bordom you are feeling is why pre-retirees need to plan their retirement 6-12 months in advance.

Lots of choices.

The only bad decision is no decision.

Well....unsustainable decisions are bad decisions too.

Old 12-20-2023, 03:16 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Then go get a job! Everyone and their uncle is hiring.

I liked working, and I like retirement.

90% of life is learning to enjoy the hear and now, OR, changing it so you are happy.
Thank you! I am so sick and tired hearing the same old tripe that retirement = being unproductive or doing nothing. I retired from a career I enjoyed. For the most part. It was a functional outlet for my personal beliefs, hopes, and energy. Paid employment provided me with a roof, food on the table, the chance to experience many different areas of the USA and a way to leverage savings for the future. I feel very fortunate. Many folks never find a vocation, passion or whatever you choose to call it.

All that being said, this does NOT mean there weren't aspects of my career I didn't particularly like and in a perfect world would not choose to put up with. The sweeping broad brush statement "working was a negative experience" simply doesn't apply.

I don't feel leaving those negative aspects behind meant I voluntarily gave up being productive, active, vital, or interested. I am still involved in the same causes and interests...just in a different way. I do not "sit around and do nothing" now that I'm not being paid to show up at a job site M-F, 8 to 5. I have the freedom to focus on specific aspects of those same interests and to do as much or as little as I choose from day to day.

Instead of "work" being an imperative it is now a prerogative. Why this is such a difficult concept for some to understand eludes me.

For Pete's sake, otter, if you miss being employed so much, go get a job! Who's stopping you? Quit making judgments about people you don't even know and for heaven's sake quit whinging!

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-20-2023 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-21-2023, 07:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Thank you! I am so sick and tired hearing the same old tripe that retirement = being unproductive or doing nothing. I retired from a career I enjoyed. For the most part. It was a functional outlet for my personal beliefs, hopes, and energy. Paid employment provided me with a roof, food on the table, the chance to experience many different areas of the USA and a way to leverage savings for the future. I feel very fortunate. Many folks never find a vocation, passion or whatever you choose to call it.

All that being said, this does NOT mean there weren't aspects of my career I didn't particularly like and in a perfect world would not choose to put up with. The sweeping broad brush statement "working was a negative experience" simply doesn't apply.

I don't feel leaving those negative aspects behind meant I voluntarily gave up being productive, active, vital, or interested. I am still involved in the same causes and interests...just in a different way. I do not "sit around and do nothing" now that I'm not being paid to show up at a job site M-F, 8 to 5. I have the freedom to focus on specific aspects of those same interests and to do as much or as little as I choose from day to day.

Instead of "work" being an imperative it is now a prerogative. Why this is such a difficult concept for some to understand eludes me.

For Pete's sake, otter, if you miss being employed so much, go get a job! Who's stopping you? Quit making judgments about people you don't even know and for heaven's sake quit whinging!
Same here as far as my career, or rather careers, as I was lucky or adventurous enough to have several very different career paths while working for the Navy. The two that gave me the most satisfaction were running the environmental program and being the Inspector General for the command. Both involved problem-solving, investigating, inspections, and a great deal of travel to some very out of the way locations. I loved the work and the opportunity to interact with people all over the world. I consider being a Master Gardener now an outgrowth of my environmental program days, and I love doing that as well. I've also recently become involved in model railroading, and plan to have a garden railroad in the future. In the meantime, I have two different gauge tracks in my "man cave", which was previously unused space. I don't sit around on my bum all the time (although I do like to read immensely) doing nothing and being bored. What would be the point?

Old 12-22-2023, 11:27 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

The best thing to do for someone looking for post-retirement work, part-time or full-time, is to let your network; i.e., former colleagues and/or contacts like clients or contractors, know you are looking and open to employment.

I work part-time, and I could go full-time if I wanted to. Last year I heard from a former exec, now retired, from the public agency agency from which I retired. He knew of an opportunity working for another former colleague and asked if I was interested.

At the time I was caregiving and living out of the country. Just heard from him again this week. Sent his condolences on my loss, and if I am interested, our other colleague is still looking for someone like me.

And note, I don't even have a college degree. Experience is worth a lot more than one might think.

Put the feelers out. Something will come to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement