Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2024, 09:32 PM

1,551 posts, read 1,207,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Okay, so just say you liked some aspects of your job but hated others (such as the commute, schedule, long hours, or management, all of which seem to be common themes) and are "relieved" not to 'have to" deal any longer with the parts you hated. That makes a lot more sense than vehemently insisting you absolutely loved it and yet are absolutely thrilled to be rid of it...
Why are you so hung up on how people express this? We all get their meaning and gist of it. You're either being purposely obtuse, or argumentative, or I don't know what. Stop worrying about the semantics of how they say it. Man, you need to find a hobby, or get a job, or something to otherwise occupy your mind, because you just keep looping in the same worn out path.

There must be some reason you don't just get another job. Maybe you can't get a decent recommendation from your previous employer? Or are somehow otherwise unemployable? I don't know but something is fishy here. You whine about being retired and how much you miss your beloved job, yet you don't do anything to help yourself. It's really annoying when people complain endlessly about some misfortune they perceive to have suffered, but refuse to take action to help themselves, or seek the assistance they obviously need to move past it. Or worse, criticize others who have what you don't - a rewarding and enjoyable retirement which BTW, they don't have to defend to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2024, 07:24 AM

22,128 posts, read 13,151,603 times
If you must know, I'm currently pet-free for first time in many years and am taking advantage of that by traveling (I could also have traveled while employed had I not had pets, but I had no one I trusted to leave them with). I'm not going to commit to another job - certainly not a full-time one in which, unlike in my former one, I would NOT have hundreds of hours of leave time and the flexibility to use it; I'd be starting out with NONE - while getting these trips out of the way. Even PT jobs and volunteering require you to commit to a schedule which, again, I wasn't constrained by when I was working in my former job. Once done, I intend to adopt more pets and work again. Okay?

So other than traveling and engaging in my hobbies (which, again, I had plenty of time to do WHILE working; they don't take up 40 hours a week), I find retirement boring and unfulfilling. But just me!

When I say that continuing to work can be good thing and retirement can be a bad thing and that it's possible to "enjoy life" while still employed (why so many seem to wait until retirement to do anything fun is beyond me; surely, if they've worked for any length of time, they have days off?), I don't view that as "whining about my situation"; it's simply my opinion and would be whether I was retired myself or not. I should be allowed to state my opinion on a topic without being personally attacked for it every time, but mine seems to trigger many retirees here, for some reason. I personally think some protest too much...

Old 01-03-2024, 07:31 AM

7,780 posts, read 3,376,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
If you must know, I'm currently pet-free for first time in many years and am taking advantage of that by traveling (I could also have traveled while employed had I not had pets, but I had no one I trusted to leave them with). I'm not going to commit to another job - certainly not a full-time one in which, unlike in my former one, I would NOT have hundreds of hours of leave time and the flexibility to use it - while getting these trips out of the way. Even PT jobs and volunteering require you to commit to a schedule which, again, I wasn't constrained by when working. Once done, I intend to adopt more pets and work again.

Other than traveling and engaging in my hobbies (which, again, I had plenty of time to do while working; they don't take up 40 hours a week), I find retirement boring and unfulfilling. But just me!

When I say that continuing to work can be good thing and retirement can be a bad thing and that it's possible to "enjoy life" while still employed (why so many seem to wait until retirement to do anything fun is beyond me; surely, if they've worked for any length of time, they have days off?), I don't view that as "whining about my situation"; it's simply my opinion and would be whether I was retired myself or not. I should be allowed to state my opinion on a topic without being personally attacked for it every time, but mine seems to trigger many retirees here, for some reason. I personally think some protest too much...

Approved! LOL!

No, I think that people with a logical thought process get hung in a perpetual loop not understanding. I think this clarifies things because it really did make less and less sense the more time that went by.

I think there are "fun" people and there are the "other" people who enjoy everyday life and experience "joy" instead of the need for "fun." Some people get joy out of the mundane (such as going to work and petting their cat). I can relate. To me "fun" is excruciating. The most I can do is "enjoy."

Old 01-03-2024, 09:35 AM

88,836 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Even PT jobs and volunteering require you to commit to a schedule which, again, I wasn't constrained by when I was working in my former job.
Not always. It's not the usual, but my part-time job schedule is "as I am available". While that's not the norm, you might keep your eyes open for something like that when you are ready to look.

I'm not sure what you did for a living, and I don't have to know, but I did get the impression that, like me, you worked in the public sector in some capacity. Often we public sector retirees are desired for part-time work on the private side because of our contacts and knowledge. You may have opportunities you haven't yet considered.

The first part-time job I had, preparing proposals for construction materials testing services, I was committed to two days in the office, and two days working from home, and then a fifth day crept in with a regular meeting, and it got to be more than I wanted to do. Meanwhile, I ran into this other guy I knew who wanted me to attend industry events on the company's behalf, arrange meetings with my contacts, etc., as I was available, and I took that.

I can still travel because I get to decide when I am available. As a matter of fact, my company has three such of us retirees working for them doing what we do. They are happy to pay a good salary because they don't have to provide health insurance and benefits, and I get the nice mix of money, intellectual stimulation and a sense of purpose, and travel and/or home time. (Fortunately, I have a reliable person for cat care.) I have what I loved about my old job--the feeling of being a part of something larger that will benefit others long after I'm gone.

Something will be there when the time is right.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:44 AM

88,836 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Approved! LOL!

No, I think that people with a logical thought process get hung in a perpetual loop not understanding. I think this clarifies things because it really did make less and less sense the more time that went by.

I think there are "fun" people and there are the "other" people who enjoy everyday life and experience "joy" instead of the need for "fun." Some people get joy out of the mundane (such as going to work and petting their cat). I can relate. To me "fun" is excruciating. The most I can do is "enjoy."
I know what you mean. Some things other people think are fun are not fun to me.

Last month a friend asked me to take her shopping because she had a 15% one-day coupon for her favorite store, but she recently had a minor surgery and could not yet drive. I put her rollator into my car and went and then spent the next two hours following her around as she bought things for herself, Christmas gifts for her sons and grandkids, etc. I HATE to shop. If I want something, I order it online or if I must go to a store, I get in and out as fast as possible, but this was me doing a good deed so I just went with it.

When it was finally over, I had to carry all the bags to the car, then carry the bags into the house for her, then get her rollator and out of the car and haul that into her house, and while I was there, another friend of hers called. I heard her say, "We just got back from shopping, and we had so much fun! I got this and that and the other thing, and it was great! I haven't been shopping like that in at least a month, SO much FUN...."

It kind of startled me that she described the day using that word. If I were the one shopping, I would have viewed it as getting a chore accomplished.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:46 AM

7,282 posts, read 4,653,269 times
I too work part time on my schedule. I book my own appointments with clients and decide when I want to work. I schedule my vacations whenever and for how long I want to. My job doesn’t require travel but I have a reliable pet sitter for when I take vacation.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:47 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,047,383 times
Different things are "fun" for me at different times. That's what I like about retirement - the freedom to whichever fun thing I want to do at the time.

My volunteering schedule is flexible, I choose what slots that I'm available.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-03-2024, 09:51 AM

7,780 posts, read 3,376,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I know what you mean. Some things other people think are fun are not fun to me.

Last month a friend asked me to take her shopping because she had a 15% one-day coupon for her favorite store, but she recently had a minor surgery and could not yet drive. I put her rollator into my car and went and then spent the next two hours following her around as she bought things for herself, Christmas gifts for her sons and grandkids, etc. I HATE to shop. If I want something, I order it online or if I must go to a store, I get in and out as fast as possible, but this was me doing a good deed so I just went with it.

When it was finally over, I had to carry all the bags to the car, then carry the bags into the house for her, then get her rollator and out of the car and haul that into her house, and while I was there, another friend of hers called. I heard her say, "We just got back from shopping, and we had so much fun! I got this and that and the other thing, and it was great! I haven't been shopping like that in at least a month, SO much FUN...."

It kind of startled me that she described the day using that word. If I were the one shopping, I would have viewed it as getting a chore accomplished.

Oh gosh, do not get me started on the long list of things I do not consider "fun."

My friend that liked to shop so much quit doing it much when she retired. We go to nurseries and look at plants and home depot for stuff we need for projects around our houses. I think I have been to the Mall once in about five years. Another friend started to try to introduce me to her shopping addiction and I just really quickly cut her off. I hate to do it because I see them socially and enjoy them. I'm like you with shopping. Mostly online or I know exactly what I need and can do it very quickly.

Old 01-03-2024, 09:56 AM

48,581 posts, read 35,047,383 times
Plus, if you want some work, but don't want to give up your other schedule trips, you can do temp work.

You can accept or turn down assignments, though if you turn down too many, they will stop asking.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-03-2024, 10:02 AM

2,874 posts, read 2,074,038 times
If you’re a boring person during your work career, you’ll be more bored during retirement. I always “worked to live” and had enough interests to stay very busy even at work. Now, my interests are my days. Instead of thinking about what I need to do when I got off work, I do them now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement