Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2023, 05:22 PM

1,153 posts, read 629,451 times

Advertisements

I would NEVER fault anyone who doesn't reveal anything about their identity.

Doxing and stalking are real things, and whether or not the probability is high or low is irrelevant.

Her actual age is pretty much irrelevant to most of the posts. One can surmise the ballpark age just from her way of speaking and her "life experiences".

Heck I can be an ageless ChatGPT for all everyone knows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2023, 09:00 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,593,016 times
If I lived alone on a ranch I would be very careful about any identifying information so someone could find me. However, I don’t think revealing age is a big deal. I am more open because I don’t think anyone wants to stalk a senior and I live in a secure place.

Old 12-29-2023, 09:36 PM

7,688 posts, read 3,314,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
If I lived alone on a ranch I would be very careful about any identifying information so someone could find me. However, I don’t think revealing age is a big deal. I am more open because I don’t think anyone wants to stalk a senior and I live in a secure place.
I think the only concern is identity theft. That's the whole point of being anonymous though. It would take a hacker that could follow the breadcrumbs. But, in order to do that they would already need to know they had a big enough target to make it worth it. I can't see it. But, I am not a computer expert.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:06 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,051,170 times
WHATEVER.........

I have answered that question about my age and unless it comes back that it is necessary to know how old we are to figure out how we sleep in retirement, I have said what I am going to say on that and say no more about that.

Now is how we sleep related to the amount we waste time? One of the things I like about this Holiday Break is that I have wasted a lot less time than I have on other breaks. Maybe not have gotten done all the grand things I wish to, but not so much time frittered away with nothing to show for it.

But was sleep a factor in it, either in the wasted time or now? I can't say for the wasted time for such didn't make it into a trackable diary entry and for now, I am still sleeping a lot....

.......but maybe that feeling of some accomplishments push it off some.

Finally, maybe the wishes of the past come back to haunt us. In the 70s flick, "The Omen", Damien has his first day at church with the obvious disaster. Lee Remerick says that he just had a bad day and the best thing to do with a bad day is to end it, go to bed. Back in that time, I was a struggling undergrad and couldn't do that, had to burn much the midnight oil, and wished, if unwisely, for that ability to do that.

Maybe all the times of youth when we had to push the midnight oil and wished we didn't, well maybe this is the wished time we finally get.......and am not realizing the cost of it.

Old 12-29-2023, 10:17 PM

It could be your age.

Old 12-30-2023, 09:15 AM

10,583 posts, read 7,808,293 times
In the NYT end of year words of wisdom, this one is relevant:

Retire from your job, not from life. — Margaret Johnson, Dunedin, Fla.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:49 AM

22,029 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
I think the only concern is identity theft. That's the whole point of being anonymous though. It would take a hacker that could follow the breadcrumbs. But, in order to do that they would already need to know they had a big enough target to make it worth it. I can't see it. But, I am not a computer expert.
I can't imagine anyone "stealing a poster's identity" from comments made on City-Date, but I CAN see someone being recognized by someone who happens to know them. There are enough clues left in the sum of all posts made by anyone who frequents this site to put two-and-two together and identify a friend, relative, neighbor, coworker, or acquaintance. After all, we have no idea who's on here besides us! I like to keep things vague when I can for that reason; most of my personal information isn't that relevant anyway.

As for OP, whether she's 60 or 70, she's apparently able to retire if she wants to. However, from what I've gathered about her, she's not the most social person (doesn't have a large group of friends to hang out with), tends to be a homebody, and already engages too much in a fantasy life. I'm not sure it would be healthy.

Old 12-31-2023, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I can't imagine anyone "stealing a poster's identity" from comments made on City-Date, but I CAN see someone being recognized by someone who happens to know them. There are enough clues left in the sum of all posts made by anyone who frequents this site to put two-and-two together and identify a friend, relative, neighbor, coworker, or acquaintance. After all, we have no idea who's on here besides us! I like to keep things vague when I can for that reason; most of my personal information isn't that relevant anyway.

As for OP, whether she's 60 or 70, she's apparently able to retire if she wants to. However, from what I've gathered about her, she's not the most social person (doesn't have a large group of friends to hang out with), tends to be a homebody, and already engages too much in a fantasy life. I'm not sure it would be healthy.

Identity theft means they are able to get the information leading to who you really are and your finances. Not stealing your online identity.

I do not have any opinions on whether or not Tamara should retire. Though, generally if she is 60 I'd so no and if she was 70 I would say yes (true for anyone). 60 can be too young. The last 5-10 years can be important financially speaking (to continue to work).

I think she is fine and would adapt to retirement just like most people do.

Old 12-31-2023, 04:12 AM

22,029 posts, read 13,054,832 times
I know what identity theft is. I don't agree that it's likely or "the only concern," as you said.

Old 12-31-2023, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I know what identity theft is. I don't agree that it's likely or "the only concern," as you said.
What other concern could there possibly be? I assume if you are CIA or something you would not be posting here for any reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement