Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 11:53 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times

Advertisements

My job didn't exhaust me, wear me out, wear me down, wipe me out, or stress me out, but I seem to be in the minority there. I would say, if it does, perhaps you need a new job.

I was usually itching to get back to the office and my routine after a long holiday weekend.

I sometimes oversleep in retirement simply because I'm bored stiff and somewhat depressed, but I seem to be in the minority there, too. Habitually having nowhere to go and nothing to do becomes coma-inducing after a while.

So are you retiring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 11:57 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
The only thing that changed in retirement that with daylight savings, I tend to sleep until the sun comes up, so it can vary from 5am to 730am depending on the season.

Otherwise I do not really sleep more in retirement, I don't sit and watch TV, I DO post to much.

Over the last few months I have been less scheduled (trips back and forth to various place), but after the holidays... back to a schedule. Set projects, set exercise, etc. I like being productive.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-18-2023, 11:59 AM

1,197 posts, read 527,858 times
Most people are sleep deprived, so yes, catch up on your sleep - sleep as much as you need.

As for retirement - I've never been busier, which I think is a common experience.

Do what you love.

Enjoy your life.

Old 12-18-2023, 03:47 PM

314 posts, read 179,657 times
Too many things left to do, too little time. I'll sleep when I'm dead.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:07 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
I didn't realize how sleep deprived I was until I retired. So, I slept a lot those first few weeks. After a while I got into a more routine schedule, though it's not the same one I had when working.

With all the volunteer work and projects, I have, I'm actually busier than when I was working so my project list is getting pretty long.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:22 PM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
I am on vacation, Christmas break and the first 2 days has been a lot of sleep. I have been thinking, well, why not? No schedule to keep, so if I feel weary, why shouldn't I?

BUT....is this what retirement will be? No more schedules so throw it all out the door or is it just like that, for the first few days?
It’s whatever you make it. If you are easily bored and need external entertainment\distractions then it might be a problem but you can prepare for that by carefully chosen volunteer jobs and activities. If you’re not easily bored then easy peasy.

Old 12-18-2023, 06:10 PM

1,119 posts, read 606,309 times
I think it truly depends on if you love sleeping lol.

Some ppl can sleep all day and be happy. Others can't and have to do things or go nutty.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle.

Also depends on how much disposable $$$ you have when you retire and how healthy you are.

I suspect it would be incredibly nice to wake up whenever you want and sleep whenever you want. But after a few months of non structured life, it would wear me down.

I would hopefully be outdoors a lot... and have the luxury of enjoying it during the weekdays whenever ppl are working. Launch the boat out in the lake when most of the population is working on spreadsheets and banging on nails.

Maybe sleep in on the weekends when most ppl are out in lineups and driving each other crazy

Old 12-18-2023, 07:12 PM

2,045 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I sometimes oversleep in retirement simply because I'm bored stiff and somewhat depressed, but I seem to be in the minority there, too. Habitually having nowhere to go and nothing to do becomes coma-inducing after a while.
That's exactly why I don't ever plan on retiring. I've had periods in life where I was out of work for a while and started going out of my mind, like I had no purpose anymore even though I didn't need the money. I need some kind of routine or schedule or else the depression drags me down even more.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:53 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Guy View Post
I took my watch off…haven't worn it once in 8 years of retirement.
I started wearing my watch after I retired. No good reason, just wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
…sitting around in my PJs…All of a sudden I realize it’s 10:30 and I haven’t even taken a shower yet.
I don’t shower until 1600. Then it is time to prepare dinner.

Quote:
I sometimes oversleep in retirement
I never oversleep. I get up when I get up. Sometimes at 0700 and sometimes at 0930.

Last edited by davebarnes; 12-18-2023 at 09:03 PM..

Old 12-18-2023, 09:36 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
My job didn't exhaust me, wear me out, wear me down, wipe me out, or stress me out, but I seem to be in the minority there. I would say, if it does, perhaps you need a new job.

I was usually itching to get back to the office and my routine after a long holiday weekend.

So are you retiring?

It helps if you live in a physically beautiful place. I never tire of my environment, well except for winter. If I retired where I grew up, I would be an addict, alcoholic, or dead, as happened with many I grew up with.

I think I remember that you didn’t retire voluntarily, or something like that? That might make a difference in your boredom threshold. I chose my profession & was dedicated to it, but it was stressful & I had enough. I’m sure you realize that people can’t just get a new job if they are stressed out. But there are jobs & there are professions.

Regarding sleeping, I really believe there are morning people & night owls. My sister was always a night owl & so am I. My ideal bedtime is 1:00 a.m., but I had to get up at 5:00 a.m. for work, so that was a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement