Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 04:47 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Interesting. I move around a lot less and eat out a lot more (and spend a lot more and also weigh more) since retiring. I'm obviously doing it all wrong.
There is no right way or wrong way to enjoy retirement.

There is happy and not happy though.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 08:05 PM

383 posts, read 665,364 times
I am 72, husband is 74. I lost 25 lbs since last January, he has lost 40. We do Weight Watchers. No real exercise. It can be done.

Old 12-22-2023, 08:15 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
I got rid of 35 pounds last year just by trying to do away with as much fat in my diet as possible. I ate anything I wanted as long as it had no fat grams.

Breakfast was Greek Yogurt, banana, and coffee with 0 fat milk.
Lunch was lettuce spring mixture with one corn on cob and coffee with no fat milk and sometimes an apple.
Dinner was 4 ounces of low fat meat, often ground chicken burger and a bun with one cup vegetables of my choice. I love pickled beets and pickled cucumbers (bread and butter flavor) I know it is not for everyone but I like shredded cabbage and shredded carrots with just a little salt.
Spice drops candy from Dollar General have absolutely no fat in them when I wanted a treat.

I have lightened up a little since my heart test showed no change which was good. I used the no fat Food Lion Italian dressing but hated it so I have changed to Olive Garden lite dressing which is much better. It does have a few grams of fat in it and I use about 1/4 cup in each salad.

I just had my 78th birthday this week.

Last edited by NCN; 12-22-2023 at 08:38 PM..

Old 12-22-2023, 11:15 PM

1,628 posts, read 1,714,134 times
One of the best doctors I ever had once told me it's not a bad thing to be 10 pounds or so over your ideal weight because you can easily lose that much or more due to an illness. I eat and drink pretty much what I want and don't exercise as much as I used to. At age 70, I should weigh 185, but hover around 200 unless I really pig out. I don't eat sweets, but like wine and other alcoholic beverages. I like carbs (pasta, potatoes, rice) and eat too many, but can do all the work I need to around the house and often amaze myself at how fit I am. I walk a few miles at a fast pace, do sit ups and pushups and stretch to keep somewhat toned and flexible, but I'm not going to try to look as good as I did 20 years ago again. I'm aware of the need to keep healthy to be able to function as I get older. I suggest you spend time on aerobic exercise, flexiblilty and muscle tone/strength. Look at Essentrics, yoga and pilates. Get some resistance bands and learn how to work all the muscles. Muscle burns more calories than fat.

Bottom line is, you need to burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. Our metabolism gets much much slower as we age, you need to work harder to achieve the same goals. Don't spend too much time sitting around, get up frequently and walk around the block or inside the house if necessary. Move more, sit less.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 759 times
It's inspiring to hear about your balanced approach to staying healthy and fit at age 70. You've touched on several key elements, such as maintaining a manageable weight, enjoying your diet while being conscious of what you eat, and keeping active. Your routine of walking, doing sit-ups, pushups, and stretching is commendable. It's great that you're focusing on aerobic exercises, flexibility, and muscle strength, understanding the importance of these as we age.

Your emphasis on muscle work, like using resistance bands, is particularly insightful. As muscle burns more calories than fat, incorporating strength training into your fitness regimen is vital, especially as metabolism slows down with age. Yoga, pilates, and Essentrics are excellent practices to maintain flexibility and strength.

Your approach resonates with the principles shared on BloggyNest, a site dedicated to sharing valuable insights on health, fitness, and wellness. Their content often emphasizes the importance of a balanced lifestyle, integrating both diet and exercise, which aligns well with your practices. This resource could be beneficial for you and others looking to maintain or improve health and fitness at any stage in life.

As you rightly mentioned, managing weight effectively involves burning more calories than you consume. It's impressive to see how you've adapted your lifestyle to meet your health needs and capabilities, serving as a motivational example that age is not a barrier to staying fit and active. Keep up the fantastic work!

Old 01-01-2024, 11:11 AM

Well, I'm going for a 15 lb loss at 57. I got out of steady exercise since a little before our Scotland trip. Ate and drank my way through that, the holidays, a Halloween party....

I haven't been that undisciplined in about a decade... so back to the grind.

Old 01-01-2024, 11:14 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,298,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I got rid of 35 pounds last year just by trying to do away with as much fat in my diet as possible. I ate anything I wanted as long as it had no fat grams.

Breakfast was Greek Yogurt, banana, and coffee with 0 fat milk.
Lunch was lettuce spring mixture with one corn on cob and coffee with no fat milk and sometimes an apple.
Dinner was 4 ounces of low fat meat, often ground chicken burger and a bun with one cup vegetables of my choice. I love pickled beets and pickled cucumbers (bread and butter flavor) I know it is not for everyone but I like shredded cabbage and shredded carrots with just a little salt.
Spice drops candy from Dollar General have absolutely no fat in them when I wanted a treat.

I have lightened up a little since my heart test showed no change which was good. I used the no fat Food Lion Italian dressing but hated it so I have changed to Olive Garden lite dressing which is much better. It does have a few grams of fat in it and I use about 1/4 cup in each salad.

I just had my 78th birthday this week.
The interesting thing about this post is, I did almost the polar opposite and lost the same amount of weight (more or less). I am at a perfect 180. Man, 78.

I love fat and I eat plenty of it. Ditto with most meats, but I don't like chicken much. Never touch salads, and you couldn't force any type of salad dressing down my throat. I cook in beef tallow, lard or butter.
Breakfast is always the same - pork chop, fried in tallow; eggs fried in butter.
I don't eat most vegetables, although there are exceptions.
My rule is, if it has a list of ingredients, I don't want it.

Been eating like that for about 2 years. No plan to change.

I used to eat more like NCN, but heart surgery changed that. I believe the constant need for insulin caused my problems, not cholesterol like we have been told, and I act on my own beliefs.
But I also work out 3X a week.

Old 01-01-2024, 03:26 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,022,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Well I'm not losing weight or gaining weight but the clothes keep getting bigger and bigger.
What happens when size 0 is "too big" ?
AFAIK, 0000 is not yet available, but 00 and 000 have been around for years.

Old 01-05-2024, 09:55 AM

904 posts, read 666,863 times
Hubby and I started healthy eating on Monday 1/1. Today- in 5 days I lost 10.2 and he lost 11.5. I know it is mostly water weight but I feel better. And he stopped snoring so bad.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
Hubby and I started healthy eating on Monday 1/1. Today- in 5 days I lost 10.2 and he lost 11.5. I know it is mostly water weight but I feel better. And he stopped snoring so bad.
Pounds?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement