Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2024, 12:19 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,639,191 times

Advertisements

One thing that seems to be quite helpful for those getting on in years is resistance training and/or weight training. This includes "heavy lifting," where weight lifted is increased over time, so that one is maximizing their lifting ability at all stages. The body builds new muscle tissue. It's not fast, not necessarily easy, but good for metabolism and improving body fat % over time.

A lot of cardio isn't necessary. Enough to warm up (10 - 15 min) and then the rest of the time is spent on weight training. On the other days, a walk of moderate pace is good, along with stretching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 12:50 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
One thing that seems to be quite helpful for those getting on in years is resistance training and/or weight training. This includes "heavy lifting," where weight lifted is increased over time, so that one is maximizing their lifting ability at all stages. The body builds new muscle tissue. It's not fast, not necessarily easy, but good for metabolism and improving body fat % over time.

A lot of cardio isn't necessary. Enough to warm up (10 - 15 min) and then the rest of the time is spent on weight training. On the other days, a walk of moderate pace is good, along with stretching.
Not for me. I need a heavy cardio at least 30 mins a day, 5 days a week. But yeah, I need weights too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-20-2024, 09:34 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Not me

Old 02-15-2024, 02:48 PM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
We have been working hard on weight loss since 1/1. I hit 30 lbs today. Hubby is down 27.5 lbs.

He went to the doctor for the 1st time in 16 months. His cholesterol was down 90 points. His doctor asked him what he was doing. He explained and then the doctor asked if it is sustainable. And he said it is. I am so happy for him. He has battled with his cholesterol for years.

Old 02-15-2024, 03:23 PM

9,848 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
We have been working hard on weight loss since 1/1. I hit 30 lbs today. Hubby is down 27.5 lbs.

He went to the doctor for the 1st time in 16 months. His cholesterol was down 90 points. His doctor asked him what he was doing. He explained and then the doctor asked if it is sustainable. And he said it is. I am so happy for him. He has battled with his cholesterol for years.
Wow, 30 pounds in 6-7 weeks? That's amazing, congrats! You two must've made huge changes.

Old 02-15-2024, 04:23 PM

903 posts, read 663,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Wow, 30 pounds in 6-7 weeks? That's amazing, congrats! You two must've made huge changes.
Thanks-yes a lot of healthy eating combined with exercise.
We are heading to AZ March 1st-grandson plays college baseball and they go there to play for spring break. So we wanted to lose some weight before that. Still have more hard work to do.

Old 02-16-2024, 09:14 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I only managed to drop by 10 lbs., though was not really trying to lose weight. At age 66 I was taking the bus to work, but the last stop was a mile from the office. In the morning it was slightly downhill, but the afternoon walk was uphill. The 2 miles 5 days a week resulted in 10 lbs. loss, then stayed at that weight. When Covid hit and we went to remote working, and later hybrid two days a week I gained it back and then some. I'm now 71 doing treadmill and exercise bike every day now but that seems to just keep me from gaining more, not losing. I also eat a lot less, but I think it's just hard to burn that many calories now, especially in winter when I'm not doing yard work or working on my project car.

Old 02-17-2024, 10:11 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post

Wow! That is incredible progress for only a month and half! What are you all eating?

I'm hoping to get about 15 pounds off over the course of the next couple of months.

I'm actually going to do the Cabbage Soup diet starting on Sunday.

Old 02-17-2024, 03:57 PM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
I started a Keto diet and exercise regimine about 3 weeks ago. Since then I have lost 10lbs. My biggest change though was not eating after dinner or at least not eating very much and only very low or no carb bite or two. I am 66 so I hope that qualifies me for that. My exercise I settled on is walking on the tread mill. I put it at 3.2 mph and do 3 miles. During that walk I also do some small twists and arm movements. I used to be a runner but I have a knee that cannot take that kind of punishment anymore, but I can march to edge of dawn.

Old 02-17-2024, 04:15 PM

7,430 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Yup, on AI tech. Faster hence more effective weight loss program than Photoshop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement