Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 04:26 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,358,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Is WW really pushing their customers to go in and ask for the weight loss drugs? I mean, in some cases it's probably very appropriate, but otherwise, it's hard to imagine hearing that.
Yes, they are pushing them thru their program - offering them online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 04:32 PM

21,984 posts, read 13,019,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post
Yes, they are pushing them thru their program - offering them online.
I'd say every other form of weight loss is going out the window unless and until something horrible comes out about these drugs.

Old 02-17-2024, 05:57 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,255,233 times
Smile Wish I had done this sooner

Just quit eating potatoes, bread, ice cream, any processed food.

It's been a month and I know it will be slow but I'm starting to feel it come off (inches) and actually I'm sleeping much better.

Also, I quit caffeine. I only had green tea from Starbucks but quit that back in August 2023.

I hope to do more walking and back up to 4 miles a day but not there yet. Lucky if I get to do it at all right now.

I'm really against taking any drugs.

I go to the eye doctor March 1st and I'm anxious to see what the pressure is in my blind eye.
When I went in 2019, it was 55. My "good" eye is 15-17 which is fine.

The doctor has me on some medication which says two times a day but I've gotten it down to once every other day. If the pressure improves, it will be a sign my diet had a lot to do with it. Just eating the bad stuff may not have been good for me.

So, in answer to the OP, I hope to lose over 35 pounds this year. Then, I'll be back to where I was in 2003 through 2005.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:00 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,564,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
lost 30lbs whether i wanted to or not . new endocrinologist has me on trulicity for my diabetes.
My doctor put me on Jardiance because I wasn't "behaving" on watching my A1C. Lost 60 pounds. I'm down about 75 pounds and now have been told I need to gain weight! I'm around 270 now. Drs. found cancer in lymph nodes and the base of my tongue. Will be getting 3 chemos, 3 weeks apart and 7 weeks of radiation at the same time. They said I need to gain some of the weight back because I'll lose quite a bit when treatments start.

Old 02-18-2024, 03:55 AM

106,817 posts, read 109,039,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
My doctor put me on Jardiance because I wasn't "behaving" on watching my A1C. Lost 60 pounds. I'm down about 75 pounds and now have been told I need to gain weight! I'm around 270 now. Drs. found cancer in lymph nodes and the base of my tongue. Will be getting 3 chemos, 3 weeks apart and 7 weeks of radiation at the same time. They said I need to gain some of the weight back because I'll lose quite a bit when treatments start.
wow , best of luck

Old 02-18-2024, 10:38 AM

166 posts, read 96,606 times
I checked out a book from the library written by a lady doctor who understands our concerns. The book is "The Galveston Diet". I ended up ordering my own copy off of Amazon and have been following it using my Lose It app to get the right proportions of macronutrients. It combines intermittent fasting with a low carb/high healthy fat/moderate protein diet that can gradually increase in carbs, so it is not just another keto diet. I recommend it!

Old 02-18-2024, 12:04 PM

905 posts, read 669,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
Wow-sorry to hear this. Hope all goes well.
My brother in law was on Ozempic for his type 2 diabetes. He lost 30 lbs. Went off of Ozempic because he has some nasty side effects. He has kept the weight off. He walks 3-5 miles a day.

Old 02-18-2024, 12:11 PM

905 posts, read 669,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Wow! That is incredible progress for only a month and half! What are you all eating?

I'm hoping to get about 15 pounds off over the course of the next couple of months.

I'm actually going to do the Cabbage Soup diet starting on Sunday.
I remember the Cabbage Soup Diet-the soup was really good. Just hard to only eat that. Weight Watchers had a very similar recipe that I use to use.

We only eat lunch and dinner. I have never-ever, even as a kid liked breakfast. We stay with protein, lower carb veggies for lunch and dinner and some lower carb fruit for dinner. Sometimes we take strawberries and ice and toss them into the Bullet and it is a good frozen dessert. We will put some fresh basil or mint in it.

Hubby is in his car all day-so we do easy things for lunch. Shrimp and veggies-chicken and veggies. He does have a dish he can plug into his car so he sometimes brings soup. I tutor on-line so like things I can grab between classes. We make our lunches the night before and put them in a container in the refrigerator.

We also make soups or chili for dinner. No dairy and no snacks. I have always been a big water drinker. So lots of water. I still would like to lose 60 lbs and hubby about 30.

Old 02-18-2024, 01:51 PM

17,416 posts, read 16,579,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllieKay56 View Post
I remember the Cabbage Soup Diet-the soup was really good. Just hard to only eat that. Weight Watchers had a very similar recipe that I use to use.

We only eat lunch and dinner. I have never-ever, even as a kid liked breakfast. We stay with protein, lower carb veggies for lunch and dinner and some lower carb fruit for dinner. Sometimes we take strawberries and ice and toss them into the Bullet and it is a good frozen dessert. We will put some fresh basil or mint in it.

Hubby is in his car all day-so we do easy things for lunch. Shrimp and veggies-chicken and veggies. He does have a dish he can plug into his car so he sometimes brings soup. I tutor on-line so like things I can grab between classes. We make our lunches the night before and put them in a container in the refrigerator.

We also make soups or chili for dinner. No dairy and no snacks. I have always been a big water drinker. So lots of water. I still would like to lose 60 lbs and hubby about 30.
I've decided to start the Cabbage Soup diet tomorrow (Monday) instead of today. My husband made a nice breakfast this morning and a late lunch/early dinner of crab stuffed shrimp. I wasn't about to turn my nose up to that!

Eat Drink and Be Merry for Tomorrow We Diet.

I usually try to stick to a lean protein and veggie for lunch and dinner. I typically only have a mug of seasoned bone broth for breakfast. But I saw this cabbage soup recipe and thought I might try the actual diet for 7 days. You supposedly burn more calories digesting this soup than you actually get from eating it.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-18-2024 at 02:03 PM..

Old 02-18-2024, 04:08 PM

16,397 posts, read 30,314,168 times
Lost 30# since August mostly through diet and exercise.

Weight loss programs should be discussed with your physician and a registered dietitian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement