Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 03:10 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Lmao, no idea there even was a camping/rv forum. My eyes probably glazed over it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 09-10-2023 at 03:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 03:40 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Lots of pros and cons. Definitely by used in case you hate it. The seller can give you the basics, and youtube will fill in all the questions you didn't know to ask. Towing classes might be in your area.

Maybe rent a class C and try it out? They're not cheap to rent, but cheaper than buying and finding out you hate it.

Take a day and go through camper models at a lot.

Campsites with full hook ups are more expensive than dry camping, so that can help give you an idea on travel budget.

Do you have a vehicle with towing capacity now? Or need to buy?

Feel free to DM me. I don't have a lot of experience (had 5th wheel for 3 years), but I did a LOT of research.

I think you definitely have the spirit for doing it.
That is me. I would research the hell out of it before I did anything.

I drive a 2010 Toyota Corolla rofl. But I will be in the market for a better vehicle. I can afford one, but I have been keeping this thing going out of obstinance, plus as I think you know, I had been back and forth to Canada for a few years, then mostly up there and planning to marry and move there, then my fiance got sick and died a few months ago. This car was good on gas for 1000 mile round-trips.

So now all my plans evaporated and I am alone again, I don't know what's next, only kid is child-free and doing well in her new city, and I have nothing really to look forward to. I mean that exactly as it is, not in a depressed way. I am working PT to fill my life but won't do that forever. I am not the "volunteer" type, don't knit or enjoy making tchotchkes with felt and glue guns or such. I have friends, but they have lives. I like to write but can do that anywhere. And I have to jettison the aforementioned brother because I am not going to be his mommy.

So this idea has my wheels turning, pun intended.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is me. ...

I drive a 2010 Toyota Corolla ... This car was good on gas for 1000 mile round-trips.

Keep your eyes (and pocket) open for a used Sienna Toyota minivan with low miles.
An older couple who has seldom used it, and it's lived inside a heated garage! (I know just the couple!, but I'm on their list ...) They bought it new, but had to move to an assisted living center (campus) and use it to drive 2 blks to the dining hall, 2x / day.

Then have one of the conversions added (There are many YouTubes and companies doing them. It's pretty slick and good ideas abound)

Make up a little wish list of places you'd like to visit, and what season of the year.

My mom did solo for yrs, she had her favorite spots, and would call ahead to reserve her site by the creek.
I'm sure my spouse is getting anxious to spend my estate sale proceeds on her next RV trip. (probably planning for many yrs on the road). We have a very nice and restful home, which she loves, so... as we often do... she'll take the RV to some favorite spots, then park it at an airport (or nearby storage) and head home for awhile. Tucson has great deals on parking!!! $3/ day covered (with sale coupons). We've used $60 / month places near airports. Grab an Uber to get to the airport.

We've done that in NM, AZ, Las Vegas, Reno, Sacramento, Santa Barbara, and plan to do in San Jose (Half moon bar or Santa Cruz) next yr.

We have a picture window and a few different tables to write on. I did a distance master's program (2 yrs) while traveling in her RV. Flew home one weekend / month for classes.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Have the prices come back down? I know in the last few years there was nothing worth buying in that range.
Yes, people are getting fed up with fuel prices and tired of the Covid camper life.

Just need to be quick and wise. I saw (3) this last week that were potential for me. (But I'm very picky, since I have had a few, and know what I want. One owner, (non-rust belt), Small, compact, efficient, and diesel powered. (for me). Most of the real bargains are Class A (self contained / bigger). but I'm not going there.

Old 09-10-2023, 04:53 PM

373 posts, read 310,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That is me. I would research the hell out of it before I did anything.

I drive a 2010 Toyota Corolla rofl. But I will be in the market for a better vehicle. I can afford one, but I have been keeping this thing going out of obstinance, plus as I think you know, I had been back and forth to Canada for a few years, then mostly up there and planning to marry and move there, then my fiance got sick and died a few months ago. This car was good on gas for 1000 mile round-trips.

So now all my plans evaporated and I am alone again, I don't know what's next, only kid is child-free and doing well in her new city, and I have nothing really to look forward to. I mean that exactly as it is, not in a depressed way. I am working PT to fill my life but won't do that forever. I am not the "volunteer" type, don't knit or enjoy making tchotchkes with felt and glue guns or such. I have friends, but they have lives. I like to write but can do that anywhere. And I have to jettison the aforementioned brother because I am not going to be his mommy.

I think you are "wired" for it.

Went to the Great Sand Dunes in Colorado. Mountains capped with snow. Sand dunes everywhere. River running through sand dunes. Deer everywhere and you can walk beside them.

Not everyone is made for it, but for those who are ... heaven on earth

Take tiny steps and it will direct you.

Old 09-11-2023, 09:11 AM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Wondering how RV people handle regular doctor visits , dental care, etc. I know that you can't just walk into a dr's office anywhere and expect to get treated. Would emergency rooms become your doctoring experience? Just wondering.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:09 AM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I think most have a "home town" of sorts, and plan their trips around doctor appts. I HAVE to see my docs on a regular basis for my meds.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-11-2023, 10:16 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I thought of living in a small RV in the summers in Colorado (with a house near Boston) but thought of the issues of multiple cars, pets and simply not feeling part of a community, especially as a single person. I recently met a young couple (late 20s) living and working from their van and they were able to meet people and take part in things but I think with age, it's a whole lot more difficult.

Old 09-11-2023, 10:24 AM

Medical care... as long as you're not 'out-of-network' (Medicare Advantage), you can utilize most any Dr. Keep your recent records and meds anyway while traveling. I've done fine as a 'walk-in' patient around the world. I used to keep a regular Dr at my domicile, but they've all left their medical careers after A(?)CA.

I usually ask for a fill-in appointment due to cancellation, and it can come very quickly.

I'm sure there are lots of answers over on Escapees, they even have a medical rehab facility for FT RVrs.

https://escapeescare.org/

Old 09-11-2023, 01:10 PM

1,419 posts, read 753,549 times
We're both on traditional Medicare with a Supplement, so network isn't an issue. We had pre-existing appointments already in Sarasota for late fall and we're trying to get them to let us do our bloodwork elsewhere and send the results then have a teledoc session for this year only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement