Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2023, 10:08 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times

Advertisements

did you read the posts in the RV form here on CD? might be good info in there since people do live perm in rvs and still deal with mail, banks etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2023, 10:15 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,215,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post

OP's issue is with mail..no permanent address.
^This. Anyone not interested in camping, campers, RVs, full timing, etc. need not declare their rejection of the idea. The OP is, for now, full timing and is looking for a permanent mail solution. recycled addressed the issue above.

We are into camping and enjoy it. Not into full timing but have met some who are or have been. The story OP shared earlier fits right in with what we heard from the full timers. While we are not considering this, it can be a good choice for right people for certain length of time.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:35 AM

8,333 posts, read 4,375,272 times
How about this?

https://www.anytimemailbox.com/#how-it-works

Not quite certain how "open and scan" feature would work... sounds like the company would open your mail with your authorization, scan it, and send you the pdf?

I had a variant of this mail problem when I traveled for long blocks of time for work, but I did have a physical address and an excellent mail carrier, so he'd just hold my mail for however long it needed to be held. You could conceivably make a similar arrangement with a family member of friend, and either use their address or a PO box that they would empty at intervals.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,691 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
it is if you lease a plot of land and camp it there. But with a camper you can just travel and park yourself for one night, one week, one month and then be off again.

OP's issue is with mail..no permanent address.

Or use a Barndominium in a tax free state.
I have some that I rent out FT as RV 'homes', each has a bath, laundry, kitchen, and RV hookups (sometimes several). You can build them in a month for about $50k + land costs (and permits + utility hookups). Consider a tax free state with few building / RV restrictions (and fair weather). Many choose TX. I keep a few in central TX off I-10, near Fredericksburg. Quite easy to pass through often on your way elsewhere (Tons of stuff to do while in region... 290 Wine Trail, Luckenbach, Bandera all within 1/2 hr; San Antonio or Austin ~ 1 hr). No building permits required in my county (only septic permit). I've bought some rural lots for under $20k (pre covid) At the moment the lots are too expensive, so you must head further out. A few friends have set up seasonal RV spots near (on) the Guadalupe River. Near Comfort, TX. There is a big shop for storage / repairs / community events.

(BTW) If you rent out (1) RV spot FT at your Barndominium, $400/ month, it will cover your capital costs, and you can stay there anytime you like for free. + you have a FT caretaker to get your packages / mail / bills... and mow the lawn / blade the snow. (Seldom need for either in TX)

South Dakota Domicile for FT travelers (one 'overnight' per lifetime required)

https://americasmailbox.com/sd_residency
When you have South Dakota residency, you’ll enjoy:
  • No intangible tax on investments
  • No pension tax
  • No personal property tax
  • No state income tax
  • No state tax on Social Security income
  • Only 4% net tax on vehicles and RVs
  • Affordable vehicle insurance rates
  • Low vehicle license fees
  • No vehicle inspections
  • No State inheritance tax
With so many benefits, it’s easy to see why South Dakota residency might be a smart choice for you.
https://escapees.com/education/domicile/south-dakota/
https://gnomadhome.com/becoming-south-dakota-residents/
https://www.thewaywardhome.com/how-t...kota-resident/
https://dps.sd.gov/driver-licensing/...time-travelers

Many people choose to keep a MT LLC for licensing their expensive vehicles / boats / airplanes (Rules apply in your own domicile state (and insurance)... don't break them!)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-08-2023 at 11:56 AM..

Old 09-08-2023, 02:25 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
^This. Anyone not interested in camping, campers, RVs, full timing, etc. need not declare their rejection of the idea. The OP is, for now, full timing and is looking for a permanent mail solution. recycled addressed the issue above.

We are into camping and enjoy it. Not into full timing but have met some who are or have been. The story OP shared earlier fits right in with what we heard from the full timers. While we are not considering this, it can be a good choice for right people for certain length of time.
In between home purchases sounds like a good time to experiment with this.

Old 09-08-2023, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
In between home purchases sounds like a good time to experiment with this.
We already do. We have a fair sized camper - 21' that allows us to sleep well, eat what we like, work (with Starlink) and be in and hike in beautiful nature. Living in it full time isn't something we'd contemplate but we find it quite rewarding.

Old 09-08-2023, 04:42 PM

506 posts, read 342,621 times
We are "homeless" nomads and use Escapees RV Club mail service even though we don't have an RV: https://escapees.com/mail-service/

Old 09-08-2023, 05:16 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
We already do. We have a fair sized camper - 21' that allows us to sleep well, eat what we like, work (with Starlink) and be in and hike in beautiful nature. Living in it full time isn't something we'd contemplate but we find it quite rewarding.
Oh, sorry, I meant OP is doing this between selling their house and buying another....

Old 09-08-2023, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
Oh, sorry, I meant OP is doing this between selling their house and buying another....
That makes sense. Sorry for misunderstanding.

Old 09-08-2023, 05:37 PM

350 posts, read 195,851 times
I understand using the catchy term homeless but it's kind of off putting IMO no offense. Homeless suggests NOT by "choice" unless you're mentally ill.

You have a home. It's on wheels. Or not. Like all the OTHER full time RVers in America.

Anyway, if you research full time RV Life people there's an entire network of companies/people who can direct you on the mail situtation. There are three states, I think, that you can forward to/from. It's all explained.

Just google it full time RV mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement