Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 09:19 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times

Advertisements

I would really love to live on the road for a while (without getting rid of my domicile, though), but I could do it only in a small car - as I mentioned, I could not drive a camper. When I was working (generally far from home), I was constantly renting (small) cars, and one model of the rentals which impressed me with potential adaptability of a really small car into an acceptably sized place to sleep (after removing all seats except the driver's) was PT Cruiser. But that car wasn't around for long - anyone knows why they discontinued it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2023, 10:58 AM

844 posts, read 420,248 times
I "fantasize" about living on the road for awhile but ultimately decided against it. Two things come to mind, tow vehicle or RV tend to be low gas mileage thus will be expensive to drive. Secondly; we are creatures of comfort and the idea of roughing it more than a weekend is not attractive.

Old 09-10-2023, 11:16 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I would really love to live on the road for a while (without getting rid of my domicile, though), but I could do it only in a small car - ... PT Cruiser. But that car wasn't around for long - anyone knows why they discontinued it?
10 yrs, and it Aged out. (Fell victim to Chrysler merger / self destruction)
https://www.slashgear.com/1028312/th...he-pt-cruiser/

There are other equivalent options for cross country travel... Such as Ford Transit -Connect or any number of CUV's. Honda Element was similar and came with some camping perks (fold down seats and dining table).

I just saw a very nice minivan / camper package. for $12k with 56k miles. including a $5k camper conversion package. Vanpackers.com + a rain fly / dining canopy / screened extra room

Our VW poptop camper van was really quite superb for cross country travel. (They are currently quite expensive)

Old 09-10-2023, 01:49 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Anyone on here ever do this as a single, not a "we"? There was a poster here for a time named stepka who I believe must have died by now (last I heard from her she had terminal cancer and was on palliative care), and I know she lived in her van for a time by choice.

I recently half-joked with my late bf's son about becoming a "floater", drifting around to visit him and others because I don't know where to go. I have a home, but I let a homeless brother stay "temporarily", and I am now resigned to the knowledge that it will never again be my home to enjoy and the only way to get rid of him is to sell and leave the state. Wandering for a time may be the answer. Not sure about the RV thing though as a person alone without mechanical skills, and I don't want to enter a world again where I am a single surrounded by grinning happy couples. BTDT as a divorced mom in the burbs for many years.

Nothing personal against grinning happy couples lol, but it is sad to be around you for too much time.

Not wealthy, but I have a decent enough income that I could probably pull it off. Where do the oddball floating-alone types go?

I think this beats the cruise ship idea!

Old 09-10-2023, 01:58 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Anyone on here ever do this as a single, not a "we"? There was a poster here for a time named stepka who I believe must have died by now (last I heard from her she had terminal cancer and was on palliative care), and I know she lived in her van for a time by choice.

I recently half-joked with my late bf's son about becoming a "floater", drifting around to visit him and others because I don't know where to go. I have a home, but I let a homeless brother stay temporarily, and I am now resigned to the knowledge that it will never again be my home to enjoy and the only way to get rid of him is to sell and leave the state. Wandering for a time may be the answer. Not sure about the RV thing though as a person alone, and I don't want to enter a world again where I am a single surrounded by grinning happy couples. BTDT as a divorced mom in the burbs for many years.

Not wealthy, but I have a decent enough income that I could probably pull it off. Where do the oddball floating-alone types go?
I've given it some thought, if I would still RV if single. 1) While I can drive the 5th wheel, I would NOT by myself. 2) I would probably get a small trailer 3) Class 3 are easy to drive, but then you do not have a dedicated car at your travel location 4) the trailers that go on the back of trucks are convenient, my sister and took hers camping, and had no trouble getting it off the truck at camp (some places do not allow that), and 4) we went to a perseid meteor shower and lecture put on my the University and two ladies had the camper van thing and it seemed easy to work with, but again, no dedicated vehicle to go do other things.

Would probably go in this direction: https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/16-trailers

They do have a 19 foot 5th wheel I would be comfortable pulling. I just did a quick google. I know nothing about this brand.

I would go for less bells and whistles. I swear something is always breaking on our 5th wheel and it would cost a small fortune if DH wasn't doing the work.

At most campsites, there are quite a few lone people camping by themselves, definitely no out of the ordinary
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-10-2023, 02:04 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've given it some thought, if I would still RV if single. 1) While I can drive the 5th wheel, I would NOT by myself. 2) I would probably get a small trailer 3) Class 3 are easy to drive, but then you do not have a dedicated car at your travel location 4) the trailers that go on the back of trucks are convenient, my sister and took hers camping, and had no trouble getting it off the truck at camp (some places do not allow that), and 4) we went to a perseid meteor shower and lecture put on my the University and two ladies had the camper van thing and it seemed easy to work with, but again, no dedicated vehicle to go do other things.

Would probably go in this direction: https://www.scamptrailers.com/showroom/16-trailers

They do have a 19 foot 5th wheel I would be comfortable pulling. I just did a quick google. I know nothing about this brand.

I would go for less bells and whistles. I swear something is always breaking on our 5th wheel and it would cost a small fortune if DH wasn't doing the work.

At most campsites, there are quite a few lone people camping by themselves, definitely no out of the ordinary
Oh thanks! Now how does one learn to operate all the parts? Like a propane tank, etc. I think I am trainable, but are there people who can give instructions to someone starting from scratch?

I have never gone camping except once in a tent with other people on a trip where we rafted down the Delaware. That was 20+ years ago, and I resolved never to sleep on the ground again. I am pretty sure I have never been inside an RV or camper of any sort.

This thread seriously has me thinking. Why not?

Old 09-10-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Oh thanks! Now how does one learn to operate all the parts? Like a propane tank, etc. I think I am trainable, but are there people who can give instructions to someone starting from scratch?

I have never gone camping except once in a tent with other people on a trip where we rafted down the Delaware. That was 20+ years ago, and I resolved never to sleep on the ground again. I am pretty sure I have never been inside an RV or camper of any sort.

This thread seriously has me thinking.
Lots of pros and cons. Definitely by used in case you hate it. The seller can give you the basics, and youtube will fill in all the questions you didn't know to ask. Towing classes might be in your area.

Maybe rent a class C and try it out? They're not cheap to rent, but cheaper than buying and finding out you hate it.

Take a day and go through camper models at a lot.

Campsites with full hook ups are more expensive than dry camping, so that can help give you an idea on travel budget.

Do you have a vehicle with towing capacity now? Or need to buy?

Feel free to DM me. I don't have a lot of experience (had 5th wheel for 3 years), but I did a LOT of research.

I think you definitely have the spirit for doing it.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:42 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Anyone on here ever do this as a single, not a "we"? ...
There are 2000+ posts here.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/camp...situation.html.

A $5000-$10000 class C or B (campervan) would get you going. Register it in MT (no state tax or inspections required). Buy something easy to resell.

Head out.

Old 09-10-2023, 02:42 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
There's a poster over on the Camping and RVing subforum named meo92953, who has an epic thread (204 pages long), chronicling her journey of living on the road over the last 3+ years.

She used to live in a Nissan Cube, but I think earlier this year she went off the road into a rain filled ditch and totaled the vehicle, then got a larger minivan to live in.

It seems she goes back and forth between Minnesota and Arizona and stays with family members while in Minnesota, when not on the road.

Last edited by cjseliga; 09-10-2023 at 03:49 PM..

Old 09-10-2023, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
There are 2000+ posts here.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/camp...situation.html.

A $5000-$10000 class C or B (campervan) would get you going. Register it in MT (no state tax or inspections required). Buy something easy to resell.

Head out.
Have the prices come back down? I know in the last few years there was nothing worth buying in that range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement