Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2022, 07:45 PM

7,205 posts, read 4,605,718 times

Advertisements

Ms chrief, that’s sad but do what you have to keep sane. Maybe a muzzle is in order).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2022, 08:11 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,595,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

You're an alcoholic. Please start a recovery program or you may not make it to retirement. I lost both of my siblings to booze, they were 49 and 55 when they died. Have you ever tried AA? Complete sobriety should be your goal. You're a danger to yourself and others.
My brother died from alcoholism at age 61. Alcohol can destroy one's heart and it destroyed his.

He also suddenly quit drinking for a few days with no medical help and without being hospitalized which is crucial when suddenly stopping alcohol after years of heavy drinking......one's body goes into shock and death....and his did. Pretty sure he knew the consequences of how his body would go into shock.... and he chose it. Because his doctor had told him only a week or two earlier that his heart was very damaged and would malfunction.....so he apparently decided to stop drinking for a few days as a possible way out.

Old 12-29-2022, 08:48 PM

17,717 posts, read 29,894,397 times
I resolved, many years ago, not to make any.

Old 12-30-2022, 05:31 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,063,459 times
Though it is hardly now a new year's resolution, on alcohol, that ended for me in an almost screeching stop when my doctor walked in and said I was a diabetic. I was already in a 2 week cessation to avoid being put on meds, didn't make it, and her telling me that stopped it forever. A, B, and C.

A: I was a heavy drinker but for years, I was looking for a way to cut down and it looks like all I needed was the right reason.......so to speak.

B: To the issue, I have absolute steel will even in a house still loaded with wine racks and a full bar. On the latter, it is rather curious because the bar is in an active cat run way....that has been blocked off by their antics of tipping things over. Since I no longer have an interest there, I have not bothered to clean it up. To the former, well now those are for gifts or maybe a bottle to take to a party. I don't even cook with the stuff anymore.

C: But for the steel will on this side of the shot glass....."Oh, come on! One little drink isn't going to hurt you!" YES, IT WILL. For with one drink, I am then bargaining, compensating, promising myself to do better tomorrow.......and hating myself in the morning (and now, I am feeling pretty good each morning). I know how bad it is for me, doesn't work with my meds, take me apart piece by piece, blind me, kill me.

It is no way, no how for I have no doubts about my weakness.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-30-2022 at 05:56 AM..

Old 12-30-2022, 11:10 AM

5,606 posts, read 6,535,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
My brother died from alcoholism at age 61. Alcohol can destroy one's heart and it destroyed his.

He also suddenly quit drinking for a few days with no medical help and without being hospitalized which is crucial when suddenly stopping alcohol after years of heavy drinking......one's body goes into shock and death....and his did. Pretty sure he knew the consequences of how his body would go into shock.... and he chose it. Because his doctor had told him only a week or two earlier that his heart was very damaged and would malfunction.....so he apparently decided to stop drinking for a few days as a possible way out.
My husband chose to intentionally get Covid and refuse the treatment as his way out. It worked, and he is now out of his misery.

Old 12-30-2022, 11:44 AM

7,205 posts, read 4,605,718 times
Tamara, wow you do have an iron will as most people have to remove all the alcohol from their house. Congrats!!

Old 12-30-2022, 04:56 PM

24,696 posts, read 11,044,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I don't know.

I've switched from mostly alcohol to mostly marijuana over the last couple of months. I feel lots better. I don't have as much stomach upset. I dropped twelve pounds in under two weeks, with no other appreciable changes to my diet. I'm now routinely down under 245 - I gained around 20 lbs. at one point this year due to excessive beer consumption. I hit 270 over the summer.

I've had two DUIs. The first was basically a big fine - the second sucks. You really don't want a third in the same state. If I do too much weed, I don't make an ass of myself like I do when I'm drunk. I don't go out for weed, so there's that. On too much weed, I basically just green out in the bed or chair and go to sleep. For some reason, alcohol pumps me up and I'm just like an Energizer bunny on beer. I no longer go out to bars here unless I am being taken out. In NC, I know enough people/Uber Drivers to get me back to my girlfriend's house, or she'll get me. At this point, I'm just dropped off like a kid and picked up later.

For about ten years, I've gone out, ate dinner with a couple of beers, because "it's what you do after work." Since 2020, when I've been working from home, "work time" and "off time" has become a blur. I might be working at 11 PM, but day drinking at 2 PM on a Thursday because nothing is going on, then decide to go out to eat after drinking at the house all afternoon because I'm bored and alone. I live alone, so I have no human contact during the day, and go out to the bars to get some sort of social life like I had before remote work.

I shouldn't blame remote work - ultimately, I'm to blame for my own shortcomings, but this kind of lifestyle - an outgoing guy with a good amount of disposable income living alone, who already was a heavy drinker, working mostly by himself, with a girlfriend out of town and no one to help police me, and who could easily go for a week without seeing a human being, is just a recipe for disaster. I'm lucky things aren't worse than they are.

My advice is that if you find that you need an escape - stick to marijuana. Do not start drinking heavily. Far, far worse outcomes come from heavy drinking vs. heavy marijuana use.
Do I understand the gist? Heavy drinker, marijuana user, DUIs, PI is OK, noone helped policing an adult - and you recommend shifting to heavy grass use? How is the 400 pound teenager of your girlfrined being affected by this? You need help and not a girlfriend who will dump you in town when you are drunk or stoned.

Old 12-30-2022, 04:58 PM

24,696 posts, read 11,044,214 times
One day at a time. We have a lot going on and I am the temper side of the house:>)

Old 12-30-2022, 07:10 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,007,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
That's a resolution for me - no more driving while completely wasted.
When are you going to get into rehab and find out what's behind your addictions?

Old 12-31-2022, 09:23 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,773,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Do I understand the gist? Heavy drinker, marijuana user, DUIs, PI is OK, noone helped policing an adult - and you recommend shifting to heavy grass use? How is the 400 pound teenager of your girlfrined being affected by this? You need help and not a girlfriend who will dump you in town when you are drunk or stoned.
You forgot to mention the junk food addictions and the compulsion to secretly cheat on his troubled girlfriends with other men. This person has some self-control issues that go far beyond a new years resolution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement