Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2023, 10:25 PM

346 posts, read 197,036 times

Advertisements

Keep on breathing till at least the next year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2023, 04:11 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,443,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Seems no matter how old we get, there's always room for improvement! Mine are already piling up high and deep. What about you?
I never make any :-). This is my 4th New Year since I retired at 60... the previous 3 have been peaceful and devoid of any particular momentum (due to Covid shutdown and the lingering post-shutdown), and this one is marked by sadness and a post-whirlwind of recent unexpected travel (two funerals, one quite significant in Connecticut, and one highly significant in Austria). I just hope there won't be another winter holiday season like this one; that's all . The only eventful event in my life is now travel, and I hope I won't need to travel in a winter holiday season ever again (having to fly to and from Europe around Christmas, as I just did, was fairly ... chaos is NOT among my favorite things, although it did somewhat take my mind away from mourning this past month).

Anyway, in 2024 I expect to be dealing with some unenjoyable things (sale of a property that I don't want to sell, but am being forced to by a new absurd type of property tax, and then another possible need for endless clarification with the IRS because I did something financial in 2023 that involves another country). I hope to finally make a (hopefully more enjoyable) long-desired trip to the French Riviera and French Alps. Since I avoid traveling in June, July and August, I have spent last two summers going through the list of library books that I wanted to read, and I hope to finish the list in the summer of 2024, spending long summer days in the lovely courtyard of Boston Public Library, reading certain old books that can't be taken out of the library due to their value. Those are the plans and expectations, not really resolutions.

Old 12-30-2023, 06:45 AM

88,775 posts, read 85,174,600 times
I make goals and plans, not necessarily resolutions. Actually, I do them with the phases of the moon, and the Solstices and Equinoxes , but we'll set that aside for now and go with the coming calendar year, so here's mine.

Per the discussion on the now-closed thread about second homes, I have signed a lease effective January 1 for a seven-month rental in a new city. I will bounce between that place and my condo in NJ, continuing to work part-time as available. There actually is a resolution of sorts in there. Some years ago, I started a novel, and I have resolved to finish it in that apartment. It might suck, it might never sell, I might print it out and burn it in the lovely brick fireplace in my temporary home, but I resolve to finish.

Of course, I will also explore that city as a potential Next Place To Live.

Old 12-30-2023, 01:41 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,443,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I make goals and plans, not necessarily resolutions. Actually, I do them with the phases of the moon, and the Solstices and Equinoxes , but we'll set that aside for now and go with the coming calendar year, so here's mine.

Per the discussion on the now-closed thread about second homes, I have signed a lease effective January 1 for a seven-month rental in a new city. I will bounce between that place and my condo in NJ, continuing to work part-time as available. There actually is a resolution of sorts in there. Some years ago, I started a novel, and I have resolved to finish it in that apartment. It might suck, it might never sell, I might print it out and burn it in the lovely brick fireplace in my temporary home, but I resolve to finish.

Of course, I will also explore that city as a potential Next Place To Live.
Great to hear you took the step! I am awaiting with interest to hear how the situation evolves!

Old 12-30-2023, 05:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,795 posts, read 58,282,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Seems no matter how old we get, there's always room for improvement! Mine are already piling up high and deep. What about you?
It's no secret. The changes I can, and need to make... lie within.

Contentment, is a good start. (A Work in process here, ...within)

Hopefully I can report some progress ... Maybe next year:.

Old 01-01-2024, 09:55 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,090,172 times
Do we take on resolutions as a competition, if informally?

A girl friend just posted how many books she read last year and it was like two a week. To me, WOW.....I need to read like that, so I am inspired. Further, I am just taking the number and tossing aside all the possible differences (she's married, did she read or use some other kind of book, etc, etc, etc).

.......and turn to the tasks of the New Year.

Old 01-03-2024, 08:44 AM

2,874 posts, read 2,072,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Do we take on resolutions as a competition, if informally?

A girl friend just posted how many books she read last year and it was like two a week. To me, WOW.....I need to read like that, so I am inspired. Further, I am just taking the number and tossing aside all the possible differences (she's married, did she read or use some other kind of book, etc, etc, etc).

.......and turn to the tasks of the New Year.
Motivation comes in all forms so, if it works for you, it’s all good!

Not big on New Year’s resolutions but I do like goals. We started body fit classes at the local gym and we’ve both added back muscle mass that was previously, slowly going away. If you aren’t familiar with body fit, essentially you lift weight a lot but you don’t lift a lot of weight. The focus is on repetitions so it’s fairly high in intensity which makes it good for cardio. Our goal is to continue that. I rowed a million meters in one month, February, a “short” month then, literally, none for the rest of the year. My goal is to add that back on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays and do body fit on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturday mornings. So far, so good.

I also purchased a small motorcycle last week. It’s a KTM Adventure 390. My goal is two-fold: don’t get hurt and explore the dirt road and trails around here. I’ve always been an ATGATT rider - all the gear all the time. As I’ve learned a few times, safety gear saves skin and prevents injury on most get-offs! This will be my fourth time into motorcycle going back to 14 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement