Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 12:46 AM

7,709 posts, read 5,490,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I don't think anyone here has gotten it yet. In our area, only medical workers and first responders have received it, and damned few of them. This week they will start on nursing home workers and residents....
If "here" means Tennessee, there's definitely a young guy from Tennessee who posted in the Retirement thread (yes, we don't know why he posts there, either) that he got the vaccine, and he is only an IT guy who works nowhere near patients. So, did he turn it down so someone more in need of it than he could get it ? Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 03:46 AM

35,169 posts, read 31,490,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
If "here" means Tennessee, there's definitely a young guy from Tennessee who posted in the Retirement thread (yes, we don't know why he posts there, either) that he got the vaccine, and he is only an IT guy who works nowhere near patients. So, did he turn it down so someone more in need of it than he could get it ? Nope.
I really don't understand your complaint here.

Yes, I did receive the vaccine. No, I don't work anywhere near patients. With that said, management sent an email out stating that there was plenty of vaccine available to any employee who wanted it.

It isn't like I cut in the line and took a vaccine reserved for someone else. They said they had plenty. It's not like I could say "go give this to my grandmother" when it was for employees only.

The fact is that I took it when my employer said it was freely available. If I didn't get it then, who knows when the next chance might come by. They might restrict it to certain groups of people in the future. There could be issues in the supply chain down the line. Anything could happen that could impact my ability to get it in the future.

To the topic at hand, all I received was an "immunization report" with an MRN, my name, date, administering nurse, and that I received the Pfizer vaccine. My guess is that any "vaccine card" will come after I receive the second dose next Friday.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:40 AM

15,253 posts, read 13,029,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You could have quietly gone and gotten the vaccine and not said one single word about it here, in a group full of high-risk seniors.

Instead, you chose to boast. IMO, you deserve any and all blowback you get.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:26 AM

529 posts, read 497,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You could have quietly gone and gotten the vaccine and not said one single word about it here, in a group full of high-risk seniors.

I think his intention was more of providing information, but was not said in a fruitful way. But then again, with the bragging about the lifestyle he likes and misses added in, maybe it was.

I am 59 and have been retired for four years, and I thought I was the youngster here.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:32 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post

Yes, I did receive the vaccine. No, I don't work anywhere near patients. With that said, management sent an email out stating that there was plenty of vaccine available to any employee who wanted it.

It isn't like I cut in the line and took a vaccine reserved for someone else. They said they had plenty. It's not like I could say "go give this to my grandmother" when it was for employees only.

The fact is that I took it when my employer said it was freely available. If I didn't get it then, who knows when the next chance might come by. They might restrict it to certain groups of people in the future. There could be issues in the supply chain down the line. Anything could happen that could impact my ability to get it in the future.

To the topic at hand, all I received was an "immunization report" with an MRN, my name, date, administering nurse, and that I received the Pfizer vaccine. My guess is that any "vaccine card" will come after I receive the second dose next Friday.
Ignore the haters.

Of course, anyone who wanted the vaccine would have done the same thing if their employer offered it to them. No rational person who wanted it would have made a martyr of themselves and called news stations or whatever it is they wanted you to do.

Ugh.

People.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:38 AM

11,104 posts, read 6,704,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
The perpetual advice in the Retirement forum is to start planning your retirement from birth, or at least your first job.

So being in one's 30s is not late to that game.

Wish I'd given it any thought at SC's age.

Now he can tell us about the vaccine experience, if he wants to share.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:34 PM

35,169 posts, read 31,490,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

Getting back to any semblance of normal is going to require vaccinating as many people as possible as quickly as possible.

I'm simply giving information here. I'm relatively anonymous on this forum. It's not like I took a selfie while getting vaccinated, then put it oy my personal Facebook and Instagram for hundreds of people to see. Outside of this forum, coworkers, family, and a few friends, people don't know I've had the vaccine. Sure, I want to get back to my previous lifestyle. I'm tired of being told to "stay at home" and "flatten the curve" when most states have been under various restrictions since March, and now the situation is worse than it ever was.

Once more vaccines get rolled out, I have no doubt we'll be showing vaccination cards or similar on a smartphone for things like air travel, perhaps admission to large events, etc.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:50 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,602,904 times
Serious Conversation, now you know you write things at times here in the Retirement forum just to cause controversy or to foster interesting conversation!

And a couple years ago, you said you sometimes embellish within your posts or write fictitious posts that might have partial truths.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:51 PM

6,807 posts, read 4,500,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Thanks for posting that, now I can print my own!
LOL. Exactly.

I don't think the CDC has worked these details out yet. The rush was/is to vaccinate the masses. Devising a method of absolute government proof of vaccination got lost until now. Now it's like, "Gee, what do we do for proof?" Some recipients were given proof, others weren't. Our government will have to work this out.

Old 12-29-2020, 12:56 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,602,904 times
Last night, an experienced public health official who is also a doctor and was head of Maryland's state public health office, now a CNN analyst, said that at the rate Covid vaccinations are currently being given in the U.S., it will take TEN YEARS for the proper amount of Covid vaccinations to be administered.

She likened it to the way the current President said everyone who wants one will be able to get a test for Covid......and she said in no way has that occurred.

In other words, it is going way too slowly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement