Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2020, 03:16 PM

997 posts, read 711,981 times

Advertisements

I got the Pfizer vaccine today as I am a front line RN. I have the CDC card with the same number in the corner as others mentioned. I get my next dose Jan 19. Surprisingly, a lot of HC workers don't want it and my facility had like 400 extra spots available today. Its painless and just had a brief injection soreness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 03:52 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,130,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Last night, an experienced public health official who is also a doctor and was head of Maryland's state public health office, now a CNN analyst, said that at the rate Covid vaccinations are currently being given in the U.S., it will take TEN YEARS for the proper amount of Covid vaccinations to be administered.

She likened it to the way the current President said everyone who wants one will be able to get a test for Covid......and she said in no way has that occurred.

In other words, it is going way too slowly.
Where I live, in heavily populated South Florida, anyone can get tested as many times as they want for free just about whenever they want.

Old 12-29-2020, 05:20 PM

7 posts, read 7,788 times
I am a nurse and got the vaccine a week ago in the hospital that I work in. Like others got the white card . Also my hospital has a online portal app that employees needed to download that has information about receiving the vaccine.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:11 PM

19,448 posts, read 27,889,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
You could have quietly gone and gotten the vaccine and not said one single word about it here, in a group full of high-risk seniors.

Instead, you chose to boast. IMO, you deserve any and all blowback you get.
ASSUMING that this is a true story, I understand why SeriousConversation accepted the vaccine.

The blowback and blame belong with the employer and/or the government department that gave the supply to that employer.

Whoever arranged/ paid for / made a mistake / ignored the mistake - whatever allowed this to happen. . . Should rot in hell. Sorry

I'm only 64 and not eligible until phase 4.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:21 PM

35,109 posts, read 31,388,112 times
Quote:
Serious Conversation, now you know you write things at times here in the Retirement forum just to cause controversy or to foster interesting conversation!

And a couple years ago, you said you sometimes embellish within your posts or write fictitious posts that might have partial truths.
Here you go. I have no reason to lie about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
ASSUMING that this is a true story, I understand why SeriousConversation accepted the vaccine.

The blowback and blame belong with the employer and/or the government department that gave the supply to that employer.

Whoever arranged/ paid for / made a mistake / ignored the mistake - whatever allowed this to happen. . . Should rot in hell. Sorry

I'm only 64 and not eligible until phase 4.
It's stupid that I was eligible when older, sicker people, or those who are truly in essential jobs facing the public, are not yet eligible. Should my employer have given those excess doses that the frontliners didn't want to a nursing home, crowded manufacturing facility, grocery store, etc., to distribute to their own staff before issuing "come on, come all, free vaccines!" to a bunch of work from home IT nerds? Sure, but I don't make those decisions, and it's not my problem. There are going to be inefficiencies and poor decision making in any big bureaucratic rollout like this.

I just checked our daily company newsletter. All employees, contractors, and volunteers are eligible for free vaccines, regardless of their role or patient exposure. When I was there last week, there were several very elderly men, likely in their 80s, with volunteer badges receiving vaccines.

The statement in today's newsletter reads like this. What am I supposed to interpret that as?

"<Company> has received enough doses of the vaccine to provide it for all team members – so you won’t be taking away a dose from a hospital-based or frontline healthcare worker."

There were press releases in local media about this. It wasn't exactly headline news, but anyone interested could easily find it. It's public information at this point.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:36 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,257,539 times
Smile On the way in South Florida to those 65 plus

Article from The Sun-Sentinel newspaper today:

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...kla-story.html

**We will get it done when it's our time**

Old 12-30-2020, 12:22 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,226,269 times
Quote:
Last night, an experienced public health official who is also a doctor and was head of Maryland's state public health office, now a CNN analyst, said that at the rate Covid vaccinations are currently being given in the U.S., it will take TEN YEARS for the proper amount of Covid vaccinations to be administered.

She likened it to the way the current President said everyone who wants one will be able to get a test for Covid......and she said in no way has that occurred.

In other words, it is going way too slowly.
I don’t know of anyone who didn’t get tested if they wanted to. I know of more than 10 people that got tested several times. All negative. CNN analyst are not without bias.

Old 12-30-2020, 12:34 AM

8,238 posts, read 6,591,685 times
People were not able to get tested early enough in the U.S. before the Covid virus spread significantly - because there were delays in addressing the Covid pandemic and in recognizing the virulent spread early enough, and in organizing and creating testing availability earlier at the beginning of the pandemic - and 100's (or 1000's) of people died unnecessarily because of the delays. Testing early before rampant spread with contact tracing is one way to prevent heavier spread of the virus.

As for posts #22 and #27, anecdotes from one's very small life are not worthwhile.

But I do not want to argue against people who use anecdotes from their very small life as some sort of evidence of what occurred and occurs thruout the entire United States, in every state and city and town.....and the timetable as to when testing first occurred and was first organized and when it became available is an important part of the pandemic.

But my point is in the first paragraph above - that there were delays in doing testing which allowed the Covid virus to spread.

Old 12-30-2020, 03:26 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,082,417 times
Quote:
People were not able to get tested early enough in the U.S. before the Covid virus spread significantly - because there were delays in addressing the Covid pandemic and in recognizing the virulent spread early enough, and in organizing and creating testing availability earlier at the beginning of the pandemic - and 100's (or 1000's) of people died unnecessarily because of the delays. Testing early before rampant spread with contact tracing is one way to prevent heavier spread of the virus.

As for posts #22 and #27, anecdotes from one's very small life are not worthwhile.

But I do not want to argue against people who use anecdotes from their very small life as some sort of evidence of what occurred and occurs thruout the entire United States, in every state and city and town.....and the timetable as to when testing first occurred and was first organized and when it became available is an important part of the pandemic.

But my point is in the first paragraph above - that there were delays in doing testing which allowed the Covid virus to spread.

As an R.N. who has worked on and off the front line in this pandemic since it reared it's ugly head, I too took a significant interest in learning as much as I could about Covid. My research took me down many rabbit holes, and what I discovered down one of those rabbit holes may be of interest to you and give you some additional food for thought with regards to when early quarantining and testing should have taken place.

In October of 2019 the World Military Games were held in Wuhan, China. Those military that participated in these games represented many countries across the globe which included the US. Those US military that participated came from 20+ military bases across the US and all were transported to China on private chartered planes which left from and returned to Seattle. While these military were participating in these games, although you will find it hard to uncover, cases of Covid were presenting in the Chinese population in and around Wuhan. This information was obviously suppressed because had it not been all those military participants from across the globe who were in Wuhan and exposed to Covid from contact with those Chinese already infected would not have been allowed to return to their respective countries until after they were quarantined and following tested negative making it safe for them to return back to their respective countries. So not surprisingly the 1st major outbreak in the US was in a Seattle nursing home which Seattle being the first stop point of those US participants returning from the Wuhan games. And from there those participants likely many infected with Covid but probably having mild symptoms or no symptoms at all boarded other planes to take them back to their respective 21+ military bases all across the US bringing Covid with them. And those participants from other countries did the same.

Whether this was a plandemic created in some Frankenstein lab in Wuhan or elsewhere, or a random act of nature that evolved in some wet market, there was enough leaked info which included info from Chinese doctors relaying that the Chinese population in an around Wuhan were infected with and dying of Covid during the time period those Wuhan games were taking place. And had that info been made known to the rest of the world immediately by the Chinese Government, the practices that could have better contained the virus could have been implemented sooner rather than later which would have significantly reduced global transmission and the deaths that resulted.

Old 12-30-2020, 05:30 AM

23,890 posts, read 33,625,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I really don't understand your complaint here.

Yes, I did receive the vaccine. No, I don't work anywhere near patients. With that said, management sent an email out stating that there was plenty of vaccine available to any employee who wanted it.

It isn't like I cut in the line and took a vaccine reserved for someone else. They said they had plenty. It's not like I could say "go give this to my grandmother" when it was for employees only.

The fact is that I took it when my employer said it was freely available. If I didn't get it then, who knows when the next chance might come by. They might restrict it to certain groups of people in the future. There could be issues in the supply chain down the line. Anything could happen that could impact my ability to get it in the future.

To the topic at hand, all I received was an "immunization report" with an MRN, my name, date, administering nurse, and that I received the Pfizer vaccine. My guess is that any "vaccine card" will come after I receive the second dose next Friday.
I guess you didn't see my reply about you getting the vaccine in 2 threads, you actually would qualify as 1B because you said you're over weight.

I was one that said you should go for it, you can get back to work, it will also allow you to be around your elderly parents and 85 year old grandmother. As you said, a lot of front line workers didn't want it, so they had a lot to give other employees. The doses were given to that hospital for employees which you are one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement