Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2021, 01:12 PM

107,325 posts, read 109,711,713 times

Advertisements

It is what it is , like everything else that our leaders institute ..poorly thought out out and terribly executed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2021, 01:27 PM

15,256 posts, read 13,068,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
This is exactly what I mean about a broken system. You are relatively young and healthy and have already had Covid. I have friends in their 80s with poor health who have been unable to schedule a vaccination. I also have friends in their 30s and 40s who have been fully vaccinated because they were friends and/or family members of people with access.
I wonder how much your 80-ish friends participate in the health care system. A lot of times that seems to make a difference. The health care entities want to do this for their senior patients. They get reimbursed by Medicare.

I was offered a same-day shot by Stanford Healthcare in California because I'm a patient. I was also offered a vaccination from our clinic in California. My spouse got an invitation from Albertsons. But it made more sense for us to get inoculated in Arizona.

Old 03-02-2021, 01:46 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,292,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I wonder how much your 80-ish friends participate in the health care system. A lot of times that seems to make a difference. The health care entities want to do this for their senior patients. They get reimbursed by Medicare.
A large medical center in my area where I go for mammograms e-mailed me and said that they'd let me know when vaccines were available. Nothing since then. I got mine at a medical center 75 miles away that I'd never heard of after seeing a link to it on NextDoor.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:06 PM

107,325 posts, read 109,711,713 times
I could not believe how lucky we were to have to go just 10 minutes away ...it is all part of the northwell facility which is huge .

One of the reasons we did not retire in the poconos where we once had a home is just because we are surrounded here by some of the finest medical facilities and hospitals around ....I could never see being relegated to so few places or having Scranton hospital as my primary facility

Old 03-02-2021, 02:21 PM

43,623 posts, read 18,687,146 times
SC is going to phase 1c next week...those 55 and older can sign up for shots.
I'm in that group so next week I can start hunting down where to get vaccinated.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:41 PM

8,531 posts, read 3,377,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I'm in that group so next week I can start hunting down where to get vaccinated.
SC is much "easier" than states further to the north. There's less demand in rural counties. My brother first found appointment(s) at pharmacies about a month out a couple of counties over from his high-demand town. Then others opened up that were sooner and closer to where he lives. He ended up having to drive about 20 miles to a town where there also happened to be a great barbecue joint. It all turned out fine. Others have done the same.

Here in a very high-demand state, few of the hospitals are yet pulling people off their patient lists. Most are partnering with the state or county to vaccinate specific groups, teachers / independent living communities. And in the process picking up their eligible in-hospital patients or the very elderly. Others are offering public clinics not prioritizing their community patients.

But it's slowly starting to get better. The county is approaching the end of the 75 & up who pre-registered. It will take many weeks though for the 65 to 74 age group to be completed since the county will simultaneously be vaccinating a number of occupational groups. About 25% of the 65 to 74 yo have managed to find their own appointments.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:40 PM

15,576 posts, read 10,588,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Yay, I'm so happy for you.

Old 03-02-2021, 05:32 PM

43,623 posts, read 18,687,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
Yay, I'm so happy for you.
SC lists who is giving vaccines and which one. So far none show the J&J vaccine but I'll check again next week when I become eligible.

Old 03-02-2021, 06:48 PM

11,421 posts, read 9,349,138 times
I finally got a call yesterday from my doctor's office and Thursday it will be my turn to get the vaccine. The vaccine office or whatever assigned me a time slot and the shot will take place in a hospital where my primary care doctor has an office.

The state I live in is a mess, very disorganized and not only when it comes to vaccine distribution. I left it up to my doctor's office to get me the shot and although it took longer than I expected they came through.
I'm super excited!

Old 03-02-2021, 07:33 PM

187 posts, read 115,329 times
My mother's state was only having the large vaccine events, and at 84, she wasn't prepared to do all of that waiting. She doesn't have a computer and would like to throw her smartphone into the ditch, so making online appointments were out. A couple of weeks ago, I was lucky to get her appointments online at her local Walgreens. She said her first shot was a breeze. There was only one other person there for the vaccine, and she was in and out before her official appointment time. A couple of weeks before my mother got her first shot, an older friend of hers went to one of those large events where even though she had an appointment, she waited hours then had a bad reaction that landed her in the hospital.

When I qualify for the vaccine, I'll try the local stores before the big events. My husband is old enough for it, but he wants to wait until I can get mine too. I'm trying to talk him into getting it now, but he can be a bit stubborn.

Last edited by FreshTomato; 03-02-2021 at 08:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement