Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 02:54 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times

Advertisements

I didn't see where the OP actually said they got a positive test (or do they just think they got it?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 03:01 PM

46 posts, read 29,881 times
Please be careful with mega-doses of Vitamin D - unless you are prescribed them by a doctor. More than 4000 units a day can be dangerous:
Taking too much vitamin D can cloud its benefits and create health risks

Old 12-31-2020, 03:09 PM

3,100 posts, read 2,224,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquildove View Post
Please be careful with mega-doses of Vitamin D - unless you are prescribed them by a doctor. More than 4000 units a day can be dangerous:
Taking too much vitamin D can cloud its benefits and create health risks
Agree. Too many here are suggesting mega doses that should not be taken without consulting a doctor. Unlike vitamin C, vitamin D is not water soluble and body cannot get rid of it if you consume too much. We take 2000 units per day. Definitely anything above 4000 units per day requires some testing and medical supervision.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:18 PM

18,727 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I do think most people who do not take supplements are Vit. D deficient. Doesn't mean it's a vulnerability for COVID. Or not.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:26 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
The OP said in the original post s/he had been tested.

Quote:
Also yesterday the doctor called to confirm the test came back positive for COVID.

Old 12-31-2020, 03:32 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I can all depend too where the persons levels are when tested, really low end or in the normal or low normal range, and just how much they have taken to get levels up...it can take a long time to get levels up and extra body weight does have a factor on that too. That is why the K2 is the latest research to take with D3 to get levels up better...

I'm convinced many older folks would be alive if their D levels were optimal....shame on the doctors..and many older folks are forever going to the doctors, not this older gal but most I'd say....I trust Dr. Google..

Old 12-31-2020, 03:47 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Thumbs up Thank you for your kindness, J.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
CountryLV22, thank you for the kind words...my pleasure totally.

Thank you for your kindness, Jaminhealth! HAPPY NEW YEARS EVE!!

May the New Year Bless you with continued good HEALTH & WISDOM!

Old 12-31-2020, 03:55 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,809,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I am hospitalized right now with it ..it tuned in to a monster days 12-14
Ugh. Hope you have a speedy recovery. A few months ago, almost nobody I know had gotten Covid or knew anyone who did. That’s certainly changed. I’ve lost count of how many I know who got it over Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:01 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,728,289 times
Our house has done the covid rumble as well. DH (62) is in extremely good health - bodybuilding, lots of walking since lockdown, very healthy diet, takes all the vits etc. His big issue was that 4 years ago he was hit with Guillain-Barre syndrome. He was totally paralyzed for 3 months, intubated twice, then trached, had a heart attack during one intubation, 3-4 bouts with pneumonia. BUT because he was so healthy prior to getting the virus he was able to walk out of the hospital after 102 days. He couldn't get himself out of bed or a chair, but he could walk.

Anyway we were terrified that because of his past lung issues covid would kill him. He has been working from home since March, we have been extremely careful....except we have a 17 who goes to a fully open school. She is careful, but none the less brought it home. After a friend tested positive, we all got tested. She was completely asymptomatic, he just got a minor cough and extreme fatigue. I had headaches and weird heart palpations, but none of us had a fever at all. We stayed home literally for 30 days. Had food delivered etc. Nothing like celebrating your 18 birthday at home with your old parents!

Anyway, we both took vitamin d regularly prior and also melatonin which is being recommended as well. I don't recommend taking too much Vit D, but get the highest dose sold OTC and take as noted on the bottle.

Good luck to anyone that does get it...we have lost three elderly friends/relatives to this. They all went very very quickly, which was a blessing.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:07 PM

760 posts, read 768,950 times
Most people get plenty of vitamin D, it only takes drinking milk or dairy, some cheese, people are more more likely to be deficient in ZINC which is something that the immune system needs. I know Ive had the classic "getting a cold" sore throat/tongue over the years and if I took zinc or a multi vitamin with 100% or more of the RDA for it ASAP, and again at bed time, the sore throat goes away and never develops into the cold.
But if several hours go by, I still got the cold but mild one, so I learned many years ago to take the zinc right when that sore throat/sore spot under the tongue starts like when I get out of bed,and another dose later in the afternoon and one more at bedtime- midnight, the cold never develops.

It's no coincidence, it's happened many many times, and I lost count of how many times I'd get that sore throat a number of hours after shopping at the supermarket, the cashers are THE biggest source of illness there is in the store, because they have contact with EVERYONE, their cash and change, coupons, and tough everyones groceries and bags. I dont know how many times Ive seen cashiers coughing in their hand and then touching groceries on the conveyor!

Quote:
I have no idea how I got it because I practice social distancing, do not have anything to do with crowds and wear a mask. On Christmas day it was just the wife and I... no visiting other people not even the grandkids.
Like many of you I do have to pick up groceries now and then but I have a list, am in and out fast and schedule so I can do the shopping when I believe the store will be less crowded.
The problem there is;

1) masks usually dont fit well, gaps

2) anything you TOUCH in public could be contaminated, that includes door handles, shopping cart handles, cash/change, the pen at the checkout if writing a check, the touch screen if you used a debit card and PIN.

Once you contaminate your hands at the grocery what's the next thing you do?
You reach for your CAR KEYS, now you cross- contaminated the keys which includes your front door key, the car door handle, the steering wheel.
Some of your packaging from the supermarket and the plastic bags can also be contaminated and you brought all this inside and put them on the kitchen counter.

Now putting groceries away you contaminate the fridge handle and cabinet door handles, you could wash your hands NOW but the minute you go to open the fridge or cabinet afterwards- you cross contaminate your hands from them.

If you dont believe it possible, I remember there being something like a colored wash off thing you can apply to your hands to visually see how much you leave behind on everything you touch. I suppose one could apply some hand cream or something and walk around and touch things and you'll see how much if left on everything.

I suspect this is how you caught it.

When I shop I do what you do BUT I wear disposable nitrile gloves in the store, at the PIN machine, and take the gloves off. At home I put on another pair, get the bags out, thorow them away, wash glass jars and plastic containers etc and throw the gloves away.

I have hand sanitizer too.

You really have to be aware of cross-contamination in the way a surgeon or doctor does, you cant put on rubber gloves, touch a patient, and then with those gloves go and touch the door handle or faucet handle and expect you havent contamined those with the gloves, or that after removing the gloves that door handle or faucet are mysteriously clean!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement