Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 08:43 AM

93 posts, read 54,641 times

Advertisements

Last week our local newspaper posted online asking business owners to post and let the public know who was staying open and who was closing, or reducing services. I was really surprised at how many were going to be doing "business as usual". Now, a week later, more and more are closing down. Our touristy 'downtown' is like a ghost town and I'm glad of that. Even if it meant me losing my part time job. I won't be doing any drive through at restaurants, but I don't eat out anyway, and I'd be worried that someone working with food might pass the virus on without knowing it. I have a lot of friends who work at Walmart and they are scared and worried but they go to work every day.

As for me...I am staying put. I have enough health issues that I really worry about getting sick. And I'm at an age that I wouldn't be considered a "priority".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 10:38 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
If you don't mind my asking..why would you keep junk mail ?
i wonder also

Ours gets tossed the same day it gets here. Not important - in the trash

Old 03-24-2020, 10:43 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Only asked because my junk mail goes from the mailbox right into the garbage can.
mine too. Throw some used cat litter on top and its good to go.

Who wants to dig around that for some credit card offer.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:43 AM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
i wonder also

Ours gets tossed the same day it gets here. Not important - in the trash
Most of the time I don't even open the envelope.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:18 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
I have an elderly neighbor whose hobby is quilting. They have bundles of various fabric pieces and scraps. This morning I overheard them complaining about having no toilet paper by next week, and they didn’t know what to use for a substitute. Are we really that lost in this country? Have our brains turned to jello?

Old 03-24-2020, 11:39 AM

7,036 posts, read 6,287,208 times
I was talking about that with a fellow while we were waiting in line at the grocery store. We both noticed that everyone in line, including us, had toilet paper. I mentioned that you can cut up rags and use them. He seemed astounded.

But, I only remembered it because someone else had said it.

We don't think of these things because we've never had to. For my lifetime, there has always been toilet paper. The only time I ever really thought about it was while camping; that it went in a plastic bag, not a bucket.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:02 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
The news from my friend in Italy, comfortably hunkered down in retirement in his country property, is cautiously positive, that the infamous "curve" might be stabilizing. While my friend is financially absolutely comfortable, he has a distant history of collapsed lungs and is 67, so I don't think he is given to wishful thinking.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:09 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
I agree with the advice in this thread, but with the exception that I need to put whatever I wore to the grocery store in the washing machine, even if it was clean clothes that I just put on after I took my afternoon shower. Other than that, I'm taking all the same precautions. We've had less than 5 cases in my county in Central Il., and it is business as usual at my employer.

Same hours, nothing has changed. Yet. If someone carries the virus into work I expect some folks will get sick, and some will go on disability to avoid getting sick.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:37 PM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
We're losing this

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/p...ronavirus.html

I wish the prognosis was better.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:46 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I agree with the advice in this thread, but with the exception that I need to put whatever I wore to the grocery store in the washing machine, even if it was clean clothes that I just put on after I took my afternoon shower. Other than that, I'm taking all the same precautions. We've had less than 5 cases in my county in Central Il., and it is business as usual at my employer.

Same hours, nothing has changed. Yet. If someone carries the virus into work I expect some folks will get sick, and some will go on disability to avoid getting sick.
We had a local guy in a rural county test positive last week. He worked in an auto parts factory, got back from Africa in the National Guard last fall, and went on a cruise and was back in late December.

He remains asymptomatic and said he feels completely fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement