Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2020, 02:51 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,108,628 times

Advertisements

We have lots of healthcare workers who are stepping up, dealing with the dead, dying and doing their best. Then there are those who want to moan and whine and call attention to themselves. They typically just get in the way, cannot adapt, and don't belong trying to deal with anything out of the ordinary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 03:02 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,377,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Is Nebraska shutting down/stay in place? I was reading that Lincoln has the Biolevel 4 lab and treated some of the first COVID people in the country. I'd think that people would be aware of what needs to be done.
No shutdown. UNMC in Omaha treated some of the passengers on one of the cruise ships. Some of the evacuees from Wuhan were housed at Camp Ashland.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:04 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We have lots of healthcare workers who are stepping up, dealing with the dead, dying and doing their best. Then there are those who want to moan and whine and call attention to themselves. They typically just get in the way, cannot adapt, and don't belong trying to deal with anything out of the ordinary.

Don't know about complainers. As someone who worked in healthcare, and Army Medical Reserves when an RN, I'd say that people expect to be in harm's way but do not want to be sent there for cynical or mismanagement reasons. I'll say that for me, when I thought I was going to be deployed to Gulf 1. Of course you know there are dangerous issues in these settings but they shouldn't be because of callous and careless mismanagement.

Old 03-31-2020, 03:06 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I have 5 family members working in the front line, all doctors, 2 are in ER, one in pulmonary. Last I’ve heard they are still alright. But I get the latest news on what not to take, no ibuprofen/Advil for this virus, I have this in my cupboard. Tylenol is ok which I don’t really have. I’m not sure I’m going to get a Tylenol jar just in case I get CV.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:58 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I have 5 family members working in the front line, all doctors, 2 are in ER, one in pulmonary. Last I’ve heard they are still alright. But I get the latest news on what not to take, no ibuprofen/Advil for this virus, I have this in my cupboard. Tylenol is ok which I don’t really have. I’m not sure I’m going to get a Tylenol jar just in case I get CV.
That's probably what I have in the medicine cabinet too. I've read about just using cold compresses. I've also read that if you get a fever you shouldn't try to bring it down because the fever is your body's means of fighting things off.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:54 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
"As many as 25 percent of people infected with the new coronavirus may not show symptoms, the director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention warns — a startlingly high number that complicates efforts to predict the pandemic’s course and strategies to mitigate its spread.

In particular, the high level of symptom-free cases is leading the C.D.C. to consider broadening its guidelines on who should wear masks.

“This helps explain how rapidly this virus continues to spread across the country,” the director, Dr. Robert Redfield, told National Public Radio in an interview broadcast on Tuesday."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/31/h...gtype=Homepage

That explains a lot. Realize that the employee in your grocery store or food take out prep might have the virus and not know it.

Wear a mask.

Old 04-01-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
That explains a lot. Realize that the employee in your grocery store or food take out prep might have the virus and not know it.

Wear a mask.
And so might anyone who you are in person-to-person contact, including family and friends.
I wear a mask in my brief outings to buy groceries or go to the p.o. or get takeout. I don't worry about the actual products but the less-than-six feet near people or workers in the narrow aisles.

It's gonna be a very rough ride for all. Take care.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:07 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,750,608 times
I can’t believe that I read from yahoo news this morning, that a guy was infected with CV and he hid it from everybody and visited his wife at a New York hospital maternity ward. He did infect his wife and maybe young baby.

Old 04-01-2020, 10:19 AM

It's gonna happen.

I'm reminded of the early HIV/AIDS days, when people denied their vulnerability to that virus and often continued their normal life activities in denial and spread it that way. I am wondering about people now who go to sex workers or have anonymous meetings with others or or. I doubt they are self-isolating or being truthful to themselves or others about their lack of self-isolating. I'm sure there are some people in any area who have contacts that they don't think are risky or don't want to halt or be upfront about.

There are always gonna be some people who will mess up the safety of others, either in denial or "you can't tell me what to do" as you hear these days from some *some* people, online and elsewhere. And consider the 20 percent of the American population not currently under stay-in-place orders. If anything, they concern themselves with counts of confirmed cases to see how safe they are. All of those people are absolutely at risk to self and others.

Friend has friends in rural Wisconsin- family of four, "live a simple rural life" except their kids were in school until a couple of weeks ago. Now the whole family is home sick.

Old 04-01-2020, 11:20 AM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post

Friend has friends in rural Wisconsin- family of four, "live a simple rural life" except their kids were in school until a couple of weeks ago. Now the whole family is home sick.

I think families may be the next big wave of the sick.

This is one time that being old and alone is a plus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement