Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2021, 02:46 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,581,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
On the other hand my wife is on steroids and rendesimer.....I was never on redesimer ...she has a touch of pneumonia, I don’t ...

I don’t try to question the most experienced medical teams with this stuff in our ny top tier hospitals...they have this down to military precision after a year
They're monitoring the levels of bacteria in your blood. Tests determine what to do. I had two relatives in for sepsis and I administered IV antibiotics at home. The doctors gave general antibiotics at the hospital before the culture came back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2021, 03:01 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,400,832 times
I have a mid 50s acquaintance who got it several months ago who had fairly mild symptoms. Now, she is having some odd symptoms show up when she thought she was over it - more taste/smell problems, arrhythmia and chunks of hair falling out. Such an odd array of symptoms this virus can have.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:08 PM

10,571 posts, read 7,776,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're monitoring the levels of bacteria in your blood. Tests determine what to do. I had two relatives in for sepsis and I administered IV antibiotics at home. The doctors gave general antibiotics at the hospital before the culture came back.
They went in because of sepsis diagnosis or they developed it while hospitalized?
Sepsis one of the risks in hospitals, and also apparently to blame for many severe COVID cases.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:24 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
I don't think they should complicate the matter with priority groups, if that is what is holding vaccine distribution. They should just publish who the priority groups are, ask people to wait if they are not in these groups (ie, leave it up to honor system), and vaccinate people in the order in which they register online for the vaccine. Of course some non-priority people will try to sneak in earlier, but I think vaccination would still proceed much faster for everyone than with all this complexity of determining who gets it first on individual basis.
It is highly unrealistic to expect a tech to police who may or may not fall within priority categories. Have someone show up with a worker ID badge for the tech to interpret? Have the tech access medical records looking for a high-risk medical diagnosis? That scenario multiplied by millions is not functional. There's no way for it to work well at a mass vaccination site. With it not yet efficient to distribute the vaccine piecemeal among provider offices.

If there was to be any lining up based on difficult-to-establish categories that system should have been developed and implemented before the vaccines were being shipped - with online appointments. If it failed then to be it - better earlier than now with great uncertainty.

For sure, first vaccinate those within key institutions - hospitals, LTC, emergency responders etc - by (as now) taking the vaccines to those institutions. Even teachers at schools should that be considered important. But if it's not physically possible to pull that off then move on - and quickly.

The simplest appears to be online registration by age once the key institutions were covered. At mass vaccination sites. Without (like some Florida counties) having individuals line up for hours outdoors. It's freezing in most of the country for heaven's sakes.

With the second shot required within (perhaps) some time window, folks have to get recorded into a management information system. Why not start the information flow at the appointment stage instead of having to somehow record key information depending on who makes it to the front of the physical line.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:30 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,085,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post

Vitamin D.

About 8 years ago my doctor told me I needed to take Vitamin D and I take two tablets every day......

New Study: Vitamin D reduces risk of ICU admission 97%
Date: September 3, 2020

New Study Found 80% of COVID-19 Patients Were Vitamin D Deficient

I am not a vitamin health nut but maybe I just got lucky? Vitamin D is cheap....

Today I am going to go check the mail.... not the post office (I wouldn't go there right now) but I just feel like doing something. If it keeps going as it has I feel I should be about back to normal in two or three more days.

Doctor told me to quarantine until January 7th which I will do.
I agree with you! Studies are showing Vitamin D to be very effective at preventing COVID.

Warning: Studies are also showing high sugar intake, especially High Fructose Corn Syrup to lower your Vitamin D by deactivating it.

So, if you drink soda, and eat prepared foods - you might not be doing anything by supplementing Vitamin D.

You are in a high risk group, which Im sure you already know - your age, your weight, and your diabetes make you more susceptible to the virus. Also, a lot of people think activity level plays a role. If you are relatively sedentary, or dont move around all that much, that also increases your susceptibility.

Vitamin D is not just a run-of-the-mill vitamin. It's also a hormone. Our bodies produce it from sun exposure and eating certain foods. I take 5000 to 10000 iu a day. I also eat a very healthy diet that most people I know dont bother with. But, the way I look at it is, if I am going to scrimp on the quality of something - its not going to be on something I put in my body.

A cheap car, and cheap clothes, and cheap furniture, and even a cheap address wont kill me, but cheap processed foods just might!

If I drink a soda, its one from Mexico because they only sweeten with cane sugar, or a ginger ale that I buy thats sweetened with agave.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:32 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,201,046 times
Exclamation Thank you for sharing this!

Wow, this post is a bit scary and sad! Thank you for your contribution, Orngkat!

I also do not understand how our Dear MathJak107 who leads a very healthy lifestyle, exercises everyday (he called himself a gym rat) & eats healthy. And now he is in the hospital I wonder if he caught it in the gym?

And the OP maybe caught it in the grocery store? In any case, may they both recover ASAP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orngkat View Post
I have a mid 50s acquaintance who got it several months ago who had fairly mild symptoms. Now, she is having some odd symptoms show up when she thought she was over it - more taste/smell problems, arrhythmia and chunks of hair falling out. Such an odd array of symptoms this virus can have.

Old 01-01-2021, 03:46 PM

7,242 posts, read 4,556,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
I also do not understand how our Dear MathJak107 who leads a very healthy lifestyle, exercises everyday (he called himself a gym rat) & eats healthy. And now he is in the hospital I wonder if he caught it in the gym?
I could have sworn a few months ago thy admitted the virus was airborne. You could catch it almost anyplace if you leave the house. Not to mention they are finding that new highly contagious strain... (and typically that is how viruses act they get more and more contagious and less deadly).

I was watching a doctor today saying that viruses do not want to kill the host, they want to spread. So as they go along they get better at changing in ways that will lead to their ultimate goal... spread.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:35 PM

18,735 posts, read 33,410,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
Wow, this post is a bit scary and sad! Thank you for your contribution, Orngkat!

And the OP maybe caught it in the grocery store? In any case, may they both recover ASAP!

I know people in many times of stress want to find out why this person got a bad situation and why *I* might not... Yes, Mathjak has said he goes to the gym, runs, and so forth. That's great but not a guarantee of not getting COVID or anything else. It's really not our/my business, what every possible encounter in Mathjak's or his wife's life might be. Also, people do not necessarily lead perfect pristine isolated lives in these times over time, and that's their business.

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking or projection often as to who is getting COVID or not. We can all look at the statistics and graphs and see who is *more likely* or more vulnerable to getting sick or severely sick, but come on, it's a novel illness and virus, people who are not old or debilitated or or or are getting it and some getting it severely and all along the spectrum. No magic bullets before or during, apparently.

Old 01-01-2021, 04:53 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,760,739 times
Our Florida county opened up online appointments to get the vaccine on 12/29. A downloaded and filled out form, ID and and the registration ticket need to be presented at the appointment time. So far the appointments are filled within minutes. They are scheduling only time slots available with the amount of vaccine they have, which hasn’t been a lot so far. There is no scheduling for a specific time or date, other than the slots the county has open for the next day.

Snowbirds are also eligible as long as they will be here for the 28 days needed for the second vaccination. Our state allotment more than likely does not take into account our swollen winter season population here. Even without the usual influx of Canadians here in the winter, the roads and beaches are packed with snowbird/tourists escaping winter weather. The pandemic hadn’t slowed many of them down much, if at all.

Last edited by jean_ji; 01-01-2021 at 05:07 PM..

Old 01-01-2021, 05:10 PM

13,080 posts, read 7,527,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
I could have sworn a few months ago thy admitted the virus was airborne. You could catch it almost anyplace if you leave the house. Not to mention they are finding that new highly contagious strain... (and typically that is how viruses act they get more and more contagious and less deadly).

I was watching a doctor today saying that viruses do not want to kill the host, they want to spread. So as they go along they get better at changing in ways that will lead to their ultimate goal... spread.
Our famous P. has admitted to this in an interview with Bob Woodard, early 2020.

If you want to see how long CoVid can linger in the air, follow a person who is smoking. For a really bad awakening to nCoVid-watch the vapor trail of a vapor.

Happy 2021
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement