Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2013, 08:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It does get tiresome when people do that year after year, doesn't it. I enjoy the posts from people who are genuinely planning to move, and actually do so. Don't enjoy posts from people who just want to play "let's pretend we're moving" year after year. Funny how they don't ever seem to contact realtors or get past the day-dreamy talk. I like the people who note in passing that they're still thinking about moving. That's cool--and believable. Sometimes it takes a long time to move, and it's interesting to hear that plans are still on the back burner. What I find annoying is those people who turn it into their yearly drama. They like to spin their wheels with plenty of angst-ridden "should I move or shouldn't I move, I need you to convince me what to do and where to go" dramas every year. The first year or two it's mildly amusing, then it gets old.
People who literally want to move but are afraid to move have typically stayed where they were for most of their lives.

Others that have moved talk about the various other places they have lived over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 08:48 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
It does get tiresome when people do that year after year, doesn't it. I enjoy the posts from people who are genuinely planning to move, and actually do so. Don't enjoy posts from people who just want to play "let's pretend we're moving" year after year. Funny how they don't ever seem to contact realtors or get past the day-dreamy talk. I like the people who note in passing that they're still thinking about moving. That's cool--and believable. Sometimes it takes a long time to move, and it's interesting to hear that plans are still on the back burner. What I find annoying is those people who turn it into their yearly drama. They like to spin their wheels with plenty of angst-ridden "should I move or shouldn't I move, I need you to convince me what to do and where to go" dramas every year. The first year or two it's mildly amusing, then it gets old.
When I moved to a markedly different situation three years ago I took a lot of risks. For some the risks are more complex than they are for others. Finances, family, health and so on. For most of us it is not intentionally a game to talk about moving especially moving far away. Where there is desire there is a reason, usually a compelling reason. Many, like myself, made repeated on-the-ground trips out of state. All part of earnest research. Others, like my sister, complain about where they are but do not do anything concrete like contact a realtor or even put their house up for sale. Yes it is annoying to me and my other sister, but who are we to know the complexities of her situation? We only see it from our own simplistic perspective, so easy to do.

Old 09-26-2013, 08:54 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
In these parts it's considered a less desirable time as we approach winter—in general—to list a house, as bargain hunters may be putting in lower offers. Anyone have their house up for sale right now, before winter, and how's it going?
Anyone planning on listing at the crack of spring?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
In these parts it's considered a less desirable time as we approach winter—in general—to list a house, as bargain hunters may be putting in lower offers. Anyone have their house up for sale right now, before winter, and how's it going?
Anyone planning on listing at the crack of spring?
It's all about location. In some areas fall/winter is the better time to list because it's not 100 degrees outside

Families with kids tend to look in the spring regardless of location due to school issues.

I bought my current home during the winter and sold my previous home during the winter.
Both were December closings.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
For most of us it is not intentionally a game to talk about moving especially moving far away.
I agree that most people on this forum don't play games like that. But a few do, and it gets old.

Last edited by Caladium; 09-26-2013 at 09:43 AM..

Old 09-26-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

I bought my current home during the winter and sold my previous home during the winter.
Both were December closings.
Funny you should say that. We had planned on selling the Nova house next spring, on the theory that winter is a slow time to sell (plus we have the extra complication of the possible government shutdown freaking out a lot of potential buyers). But my realtor has been showing it, anyway, and she now has a couple who just moved from the west coast and have looked at our house a couple of times. So who knows, we may be just like you. (Wouldn't that be great? I'll be happy when the house sells, that's for sure.)

Old 09-26-2013, 09:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
We are pretty happy here in Sarasota, FL. I don't care about "seasons" and I despise cold weather. Hubby will retire in about 6 years, and see no need to move anywhere. We love the weather here most of the year, but it would be nice to take an extended vacay for about a month somewhere cooler in the summer.

I am always amazed how many people want to move somewhere else when they retire or get older. It seems like the worst time to move to me, harder to adapt to a new place, leaving family, friends, etc. Although I guess if I didn't love where I lived it might be different. Glad we all like different things or it could get crowded in one place!

Old 09-26-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Funny you should say that. We had planned on selling the Nova house next spring, on the theory that winter is a slow time to sell (plus we have the extra complication of the possible government shutdown freaking out a lot of potential buyers). But my realtor has been showing it, anyway, and she now has a couple who just moved from the west coast and have looked at our house a couple of times. So who knows, we may be just like you. (Wouldn't that be great? I'll be happy when the house sells, that's for sure.)
Best of luck to you on that.

When there are no kids involved that opens the entire year to looking/buying.

By now people shouldn't be freaking out about a USG shutdown. That's the boy crying wolf for what..the third time now ? We all know it won't shut down and the debt ceiling will get raised. This seems to be the new ploy for not doing a budget

Old 09-26-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post

I am always amazed how many people want to move somewhere else when they retire or get older. It seems like the worst time to move to me, harder to adapt to a new place, leaving family, friends, etc. Although I guess if I didn't love where I lived it might be different. Glad we all like different things or it could get crowded in one place!
Good points, and lots of truth to this. For us it was hard to leave our neighborhood. We really loved living there. But Nova is an expensive place to live. Great during your career years (and a great place to raise kids) but for retirement we thought it was smart to move to a less expensive area. Besides, we don't need the big house anymore (or want to maintain it). Real estate is pricey there, so selling it will give us a good chunk of money for our retirement. Had a great time there, though. I'll miss it a lot.

Old 09-26-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
We are pretty happy here in Sarasota, FL. I don't care about "seasons" and I despise cold weather. Hubby will retire in about 6 years, and see no need to move anywhere. We love the weather here most of the year, but it would be nice to take an extended vacay for about a month somewhere cooler in the summer.

To escape the Texas heat we vacationed one year at a NM ski resort (Red River).
Prices were really cheap and the ski lifts were open to go up to the top and eat lunch and take in the view.
Great for being outdoors as there's plenty of trails to walk and/or bicycle around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement