Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 05:34 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times

Advertisements

Hey robyn: Since we've live in very hot, in between and very cold we found out something. There's no perfect climate, especially if you have allergies. Northern climates are nice in summer but not so good in winter. The south is just the opposite. In between is either too humid, mold, lots of allergy stuff in the air, or very windy which kicks up the dust; allegies again. So I guess we'll do cold. Northern Wis. has a relatively low cost of living, and lots of recreational opportunities. Plus it is some of the best air in the country for those with allergies. We might be able to escape winter for a month to get a break. My brother does this in Florida. We'll see. But the bottom line is, there is no perfect climate. Some would say Calif. but that's out of our reach price wise and not desirable for a whole lot more reasons.

I don't know if it makes a difference in Fl, but the sun in the summer here is intense, especially in the middle of the day. Shade makes a big difference until its over 100, then its head of the AC or the pool. But I've learned something from the snow birds. When April ends, they clear out fast. Wish we could afford two homes, but that's not in the cards either.

For my money Someplace like NC or Tenn. would probably give the best balance of climate for many. Summer and Winters tend to not be real long, winters not real cold although they can get snow, and summer's not near as long as Fl or TX. Someplace in the Appalachians might be fantastic, just watch the allergies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 05:52 PM

129 posts, read 237,449 times
Since DH is still working, we are making FL the primary residence this year instead of NY. DH is still working, so spending more time in the state with no income tax is a no brainer. We were in NY for four months, but DH was actually gone 5 days out of 7, working, so NY is not going to be happy about that and the documentation DH has to show for it. This year to get a STAR home tax exemption in NY, it has to be applied for, so we didn't and are picking up the FL Homestead exemption for next year.

We've lived 30 years in IN, 29 in NY, so we aren't attached to a location. After years of snow, I don't miss it surprisingly, I thought I would and had mixed feelings about not seeing the seasons change so dramatically. I realized I've been doing all the leaf clean up and snow removal for probably the last 10 years while DH has been traveling more and more for work. I realized I don't need to load up 40 leaf bags or to strategically blow the snow into reasonable piles around the house to mark the seasons.

I disagree about no seasons in FL though. They are subtle in FL, but are there for those who are tuned into nature to see. I don't need leaves falling everywhere or snow on the ground to see the seasons. I'm very aware of light and the length of days. I get an hour more of daylight in the morning in the spring/summer in NY and an hour more in the evening in FL during the fall/winter. Works for me.

And you know what? I could be happy in either place, because I make the best on where ever I am. The only time people focus on the negative, is when they want to bring someone else down and make themselves feel superior.

The arguments that warm/hot is better, cold/change of seasons is better is getting really old... and I'm fairly new to C-D. It's only better if you think it is. Why everyone has to be so polarized about where to live amazes me. You would think people were getting a commission to tout their home states by reading some of these posts.

Old 09-24-2013, 06:19 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,751,062 times
regarding Florida...............my son and family came back to the farm in Minnesota to visit one June. He was in the Navy and his family was living in Pensacola.

On a beautifull, perfect Jun e day in Minnesota he sat out on the front lawn and said..........( why can't we get this nice of a Jun e in Pensacola"

I told him................" you do. It is called March in Florida "

Old 09-24-2013, 07:59 PM

26,658 posts, read 28,724,063 times
By January I'm sick of winter. I'd like to go somewhere (don't know where, probably a different country) for a month or so. I don't do Florida anymore but I used to like it back when it was much less crowded.

Otherwise, New England is gorgeous and you can still go out for walks as long as you have good boots and a beautiful new down filled jacket. You get to wear cashmere gloves and hat too. It's not all bad.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:56 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,929,527 times
In newengland. I know this may go against your inclinations, but Az and Texas can be very nice changes from the cold. Houston, Austin, Corpus Christi or San Antonio are all nice alternatives in January. Rarely do they get snow, and what I think really helps is the longer days in January. Plus, it tends to be sunny most days, and seeing the sun and feeling its warmth really makes it nice in the winter. Even as far north as Lubbock, we will get snow several times in January, but it rarely stays more than a few days, and the January high averages about 50.

Old 09-24-2013, 10:30 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,720,478 times
I will maintain two residences for a while. Its a little bit expensive but not that bad. I bought a house in Tucson at the bottom of the market and have a modest hose in Washington State. Its a snowbird lifestyle but its not quite as expensive as one would think. Our cost is about $4600 per year which Is a little bit more than a lot of mobile home parks but the advantage is that our house is bigger plus we own it and the property.

Old 09-25-2013, 04:04 AM

371 posts, read 537,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I will maintain two residences for a while.
I am doing that now, but not by choice. I moved back to NYC last year to take care of my mom. That left the house in Vermont empty and so I rented to a friend for a year. My mom passed last Christmas and now I I have the rent-controlled apartment in NYC, which of course I would be insane to give up. But after seeing some of the problems my neighbors had in renting their homes, I have decided I just can't be a landlord and rent to a stranger, especially living so far away.

So now I am a snowbird, in a sense. I spent the summer and will spend the fall in Vermont, and the winter and spring in NYC. I will list the house next year if it looks like a better market. I wish I could keep both but that's a big expense, even with the very generous property tax rebate I get in Vermont. I even had to buy an old Subaru to leave up in Vermont so I have transportation when I go there. Ha and I was so happy to be car-free again in NYC!

Old 09-25-2013, 05:26 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,985,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
I am doing that now, but not by choice. I moved back to NYC last year to take care of my mom. That left the house in Vermont empty and so I rented to a friend for a year. My mom passed last Christmas and now I I have the rent-controlled apartment in NYC, which of course I would be insane to give up. But after seeing some of the problems my neighbors had in renting their homes, I have decided I just can't be a landlord and rent to a stranger, especially living so far away.

So now I am a snowbird, in a sense. I spent the summer and will spend the fall in Vermont, and the winter and spring in NYC. I will list the house next year if it looks like a better market. I wish I could keep both but that's a big expense, even with the very generous property tax rebate I get in Vermont. I even had to buy an old Subaru to leave up in Vermont so I have transportation when I go there. Ha and I was so happy to be car-free again in NYC!
I'll do a time share with you on your NYC apartment —

Old 09-25-2013, 07:27 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,012,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Way north is central Wisconsin. Hunting, fishing, scenery. Our talk is not cheap. We have no family roots to hold us here, and we're on address number 14 since we've been married. We've lived in Wis, Ill., Ind., NC and four different addresses in Texas. We've owned 6 different houses. We know the ropes of picking up and moving pretty good.

Wisconsin is a fantastic place to live/retire. Best of luck!

Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM

371 posts, read 537,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I'll do a time share with you on your NYC apartment —
Yes, everyone wants that! But rent-control prohibits me from subletting for much more than the rent I pay now, otherwise I would have a fantastic income stream :-) This was a terrible neighborhood when I grew up, but now it's much improved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement