Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 07:39 AM

861 posts, read 1,148,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Go Portland Maine! My favorite small city and not far north of there is where we'd like to live, if only.... O course, it does not solve winter, but winters are not so bad along the coast. Plus you have the beautiful ocean and Kennebec River with easy access year-round. Are you moving into the city, or in a town around it?
We would like to be outside Portland but within a 30-minute drive. The "dream" is to have a waterfront home (lake or river), but that may not be doable given current prices. So the next option is a house with a couple acres so I can get my exercise walking with the dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
We have a jacuzzi tub in our master bathroom. In the winter we close up the bedroom doors, open the door to the bathroom, and then a half hour before bed we fill the tub with hot water and lavender bath salt. By bedtime the water has cooled down enough that we can enjoy sitting in the tub, and the whole bedroom smells great. It warms us up just in the way you described, and the lavender smell helps us sleep deeply, no matter how cold it may be outside.
I'm a sauna fan. Pour water on the hot rocks and sit back and enjoy. I've also found that at the first sign of a cold or flu, a long session in the sauna, followed by a cold shower (or a jump in a snow bank), and then a good night's sleep and I'm ready to go.

Old 09-25-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Today I rode horseback on a Vermont trail where the leaves have mostly fallen, and the smell was wonderful. Can't describe it, but I look forward to it every year. The sun was shining, the sky a deep blue and the air pristine. I'm 62 and I hope I can live this way until I too am in my 90's!
That is most memorable thing about fall and winter and the hardest to describe to some one that has not lived in the north. Your nose tells you when summer has ended and fall has begun. I miss that experience and next year I'll be able to experience it again. I can't wait.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:11 AM

505 posts, read 717,312 times
My answer is the same as it was for the 10 other times this subject comes up. I live in the north and I LOOK FORWARD TO WINTER, so no it isn't one more year for me(unless of course I am gone from this earth.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:24 AM

3,577 posts, read 4,515,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDactyls View Post
I too am leaving Texas for retirement far north (Portland Maine). I grew up in Minnesota and I miss the winter. And as Katie and Augie have mentioned, if you don't have to go out every day to work, winter can be quite pleasant. If the weather is bad, put another log on the fire, pour yourself another Bloody Mary, and curl up with a book. To me, that sounds like retirement.
I agree you don't have to go out, but how sore can one's butt get?
I do like looking at the snow, but I need to be active or I'll
freeze in position.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
By January I'm sick of winter. I'd like to go somewhere (don't know where, probably a different country) for a month or so. I don't do Florida anymore but I used to like it back when it was much less crowded.

Otherwise, New England is gorgeous and you can still go out for walks as long as you have good boots and a beautiful new down filled jacket. You get to wear cashmere gloves and hat too. It's not all bad.
Yes NE is gorgeous, but the older I get the colder I get.
I walk outside, too, but wind chill can be a serious factor. Also ice covering the ground
and or snow.
This year the almanacS predict a bad winter.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:33 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,111,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
My answer is the same as it was for the 10 other times this subject comes up.
LOL, you've only seen it ten times? Lucky you, I've sat through it at least a few dozen times by now. When I first saw the thread title, I thought it said "Is any senior here spending one more thread talking about winter"

Old 09-25-2013, 08:35 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,232,733 times
Seldom is the weather so bad you wouldn't go out for so long that you'd turn into a statue.
When you are used to winter, a windless,sunny day with 'only' 35/40 degrees is a beautiful one.
Unfortunately, for us, now, a windy 70 degree day is cold! LOL
Husband was out the other day ....breezy and about 60 and he said his oxygen froze his nose

Old 09-25-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Seldom is the weather so bad you wouldn't go out for so long that you'd turn into a statue.
When you are used to winter, a windless,sunny day with 'only' 35/40 degrees is a beautiful one.
Ive been going to Florida in the winter for a long time. Only a few weeksat a time, but you can
freeze there, too. Only you'd thaw quicker.

Old 09-25-2013, 08:45 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,232,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Ive been going to Florida in the winter for a long time. Only a few weeksat a time, but you can
freeze there, too. Only you'd thaw quicker.
So true! You might have to wait until 10 AM sometimes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement