Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 03:59 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

I wonder how they came up with their stats. Interesting, however, for those looking to move in retirement.

America's senior health rankings: Mississippi last, what's first? - CBS News

I was surprised that the Northeast supposedly fares pretty well, given that many of us are not outdoors a lot in winter. Colorado scores in that regard. Minnesota came out on top—Umbria, you may want to reconsider leaving!

The article does point to boomer chronic illness, and that surprises.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I was surprised that the Northeast supposedly fares pretty well...
It's all about prompt access to good medical care and the income to afford it.
The same reasons why countries with some sort of nationalized medicine have healthier people.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The same reasons why countries with some sort of nationalized medicine have healthier people.
What about the "preventative" factor?

Old 05-30-2013, 05:16 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,834,115 times
The article also seemed to note that the areas with the most seniors, tended to have the most chronic senior healthcare problems (eg; Florida) ...and also that areas/seniors with less money, tended to have more healthcare problems eg; Mississippi) ..... Go figure!

Sometimes these inflammatory headlines are supported by less critical thought than one might otherwise tend to expect.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:17 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default There is more than one variable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
"All about" good medical care? Well, no. It's also about good life-long health habits. Smoking rates vary by state and region for one thing. They also vary dramatically by educational level. Good oral hygiene (brushing and flossing) affects the rest of the body, and it is something which is taught at home to children. If oral hygiene is not practiced at home, many people never get in the habit, much to their own detriment. The picture cannot be reduced to a single variable.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:49 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
North Carolina had residents with terrible health habits including smoking, large amounts of alcohol and fatty foods. It varies considerably by region available health services and employment benefits. The Raleigh area has some of the healthiest and best medical facilities around. The rural areas not do much. You can go into Walmarts and buy large tubs is lard and large tubs imported from Mexico. While traveling I have gone into McDonald's to use the restrooms and seen some very unhealthy looking older looking folks. Looked to be in their 60's or more could have been aged younger folk.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:06 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
OK OK I give!

You're right... I over stated.
Those personal habits absolutely play a large part too.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I wonder how they came up with their stats. Interesting, however, for those looking to move in retirement.

America's senior health rankings: Mississippi last, what's first? - CBS News

I was surprised that the Northeast supposedly fares pretty well, given that many of us are not outdoors a lot in winter. Colorado scores in that regard. Minnesota came out on top—Umbria, you may want to reconsider leaving!

The article does point to boomer chronic illness, and that surprises.
See - all you sissies out there! Ha! It pays to be frozen 1/2 of the year

Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
See - all you sissies out there! Ha! It pays to be frozen 1/2 of the year
Yeah. Yeah, Besides being frozen half the year I think y'all also get plenty of exercise dodging B52-sized mosquitos the other half of the year. All them 10,000 mud puddles you claim are the perfect breeding ground. Add lutefisk y'all eat and around which no self-respecting germ will permit itself to be found and yur bound to be healthy

Old 05-31-2013, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Yeah. Yeah, Besides being frozen half the year I think y'all also get plenty of exercise dodging B52-sized mosquitos the other half of the year. All them 10,000 mud puddles you claim are the perfect breeding ground. Add lutefisk y'all eat and around which no self-respecting germ will permit itself to be found and yur bound to be healthy
That's rather nasty of you, Curmudgeon. I'm sure that Minnesota has lots to boast about.... At least they are healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement