Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 05:14 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,867,276 times

Advertisements

Mark Twain reckoned man was the lowest animal. I am not sure I disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 05:36 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,254,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TropicalAussie View Post
Mark Twain reckoned man was the lowest animal. I am not sure I disagree.
a completely ignorant man-i would probly agree-no 2 people are the same so man fits into alot of catagories

Old 04-11-2010, 05:41 AM

19 posts, read 35,065 times
"Are we "above" other animals?"
No, I don't think so. I don't agree. I think everything has the same worth because whole the Universe has the same beginning. If there are differences between animals (humans are animals as well, of course) it's because an only reason: Evolution.

Old 04-11-2010, 07:07 AM

1,301 posts, read 2,115,014 times
We're smarter (although I wonder sometimes about that). That's it. You could say we've used our brains for lots of good things. We're the only species with laws against rape and murder. Some of us believe in standing up for the weak and defenseless, even though that goes against the laws of natural selection. We don't have to live by the same rules other animals do.

Of course we're also the only ones who've wanted to nuke each other into oblivion, so these bigger brains of ours are a double-edged sword.

Our made up religions can also cause us to see things in a harmful way. God wouldn't make the planet without enough room and resources for everyone. His creation is perfect, so there's no way things such as overpopulation can ever be a problem. Why even worry about it?

We'd be a pretty pathetic species without our guns out in the wild. Almost anything has a chance of killing and eating us.

I'd say with our bigger brains comes greater responsibility. It's our job to figure out how to co-exist with nature without destroying it. I don't think we're above anything.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,056,220 times
On this day of the remembrance of the Holocaust or Yom HaShoa, I do wonder about man and the evil he seems to be able to commit. In history the evil man is capable of is mind boggling.

Is man better then the animal? I would think with the ability to think, reason and choose he would be but on this day I wonder.

Just my thoughts.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:19 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,239,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Animals are just way, way awesome, in my opinion. I often find myself thinking that I wish God had quit when He finished creating the rest of the animal kingdom. One other thought: When the Bible says we as humans are to have dominion over the animals, I think what it's really doing is giving us a charge to be their guardians. Just as parents have dominion over their children, this comes with a great responsibility and those who abuse that responsibility because of some perceived right they associate with the word "dominion," will be held accountable for their behavior.
I agree totally with what you said here.

"To tend and Keep the garden" and having "dominion" over all life, and MULTIPLY IT OUT...means taking care of the whole...Thus Genesis 9:3 states "I Give You everything"...Now we humans are polluting it, waring over it, and in a nut shell defiling it....To what end?...or begining?

Yes we will be held accountable...So we should start doing the right things now, because we can see that if we continue to pollute, and war, and defile this world with our bent lifestyles....it will eventually affect all life...and when all life dies off...and we destroy the ozone...and all the plants burn up, and all that is left is the last remaining remnants of the human race....Ketchup will be in great demand!...if you get my meaning?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:16 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,946,552 times
Sadly, our glaring historical failures at even managing our own societal problems means we should not try our hand at managing the other animals on this planet. Too many make the assumption that we are inherently "smarter'. Yes, we have science and historical documentation and the easy ability to consider our future needs, which is not so prevalent in most animals. As well, we're easily corrupted, with individuals predictably making decisions that serve their bank accounts.

Altruism is a missing gene, apparently. "Lesser" animals indeed! That'd be us, in fact.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:19 AM

61,286 posts, read 87,613,229 times
the gap between animal behavior and human gets hard to measure of late.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:47 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,592,509 times
Based on the way we as homo sapiens treat others of our own species, absolutely not. No other species kills for pleasure, no other species expresses hatred and bigotry based on appearance or color of skin/fur.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,874,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
No other species kills for pleasure, no other species expresses hatred and bigotry based on appearance or color of skin/fur.
Wrong. Every farmboy knows a fox or coyote will kill far more than it can realistically eat if given the opportunity. The proverbial "fox in the henhouse" scenario is not just made up.

Bigotry and hatred are human concepts so we can't expect animals to feel them, but plenty of them don't like "other colors" either. Put red and black ants together and see what I mean, or look into what happens when a new male lion takes over a pride.

But that is what is so special about human potential. We have a bigger perspective and should be able to suppress negative animalistic tendencies like that. But sadly, humans to be true to their nature more often than not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality