Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,455,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Of course I believe it....It's a well known proven fact that every reasonable person can find........What happened, did your calculator break? You will find one on your computer. Simply calculate the info I gave you from mph to miles per second, then you'll know.
I have a confession to make. I don't do numbers. I don't like numbers. I find numbers abhorrent, and I try to avoid them at all cost.
My husband does numbers. He likes numbers. He plays with numbers. I don't understand his fascination with them at all -esp when it concerns the checkbook and something he calls "balancing".
I do like words. I like the science God gave for words in the root etymons of the one mother tongue [mingled up at Babel into the 70, which spread -and are spreading- out likes trees branching into the thousands, since Babel; and I like discovering the work of God in that science.
Merry Christ-mas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Laughable, you say. So I take it you find the notion of "gravity" to be amusing as well. If this here satellite wasn't rotating at a high rate of speed while hurtling around the sun, we wouldn't be sitting here posting on C-D. We'd be floating around (quite dead, I assure you) in airless, lifeless space. And I didn't need either Jasher or Enoch to glean that information.
You can use the word "gravity" to explain a certain "force", but you do not really know what that force is nor how or why it "works" and why it can be -and has been- overcome by what is labeled as "anti-gravity".
You also have no idea what the other forces of creation are, nor how they work to keep the fixed earth in its place -levitating, so to speak, in the midst of the heavens.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post

Hmmm.. I don't see anything in the bible...or ...other life-forms.

Say... were they also on the Ark?
There is this in the Bible about "space travel" and about those souls who dwell in "cells/rooms" among the stars":
Oba 1:4 Though thou exalt [thyself] as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest/cells/rooms among the stars, thence will I bring thee down, saith the LORD.

No they were not on the ark; the fallen angels who took on and kept the form of men got chained in Sheol below, before the flood, and their offspring and the monsters made by mixing kinds were not on the ark, as they were the corrupted flesh which got the earth destroyed so as to cleanse it of the "alien -not of earth- invasion.

Other life forms in God's creation, from His Word, include but are not limited to: spirit horses of fire; Cherubim with four faces [man, bull, eagle, lion], four wings, feet like calf's, and hands like man; Cherubim with two faces [man and lion] and two wings; seraphs -flaming holy angels who are called "serpents" with six wings; creatures who are called "ophannim" in the Bible but were wrongly translated as "wheels" [Ezekiel 1, also in Enoch], who have eyes round about; Watchers/angels who can appear as men; angels who are flames of fire.
Also, in the Word; lightnings are forces which answer to Him, just as the waters and winds are.

And there are those four "terrible" beasts who are before His throne, and who have to do with judgment, who are described in 1 Enoch and mentioned in Revelation. They are the ones who will supervise all the wrath of God poured out on the earth in the judgment of the great tribulation.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:33 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,618,076 times
Surely you can't be serious? EVERYTHING you have mentioned in EVERY one of of your posts questioning the validity of "forces" or how to measure them has been done. Go back to elementry school science class.

You're questioning how we know what gravity is and how it works and then get mad when people point and laugh at you for ignoring what is not just common knowledge but PROVEN common knowledge. Then you probably wonder why people reject what you have to say and your only come back is "Haha well you're going to be burning in hell."

That's not informative or a debate. Also if you put an idea out there prepare to defend it with facts (like science does) and not just cry and take your ball home. I will give you the basis of getting your info from the bible but you claim that god uses science to "show himself" so where is your scientific evidence that your stopped sun happened?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTO Luv View Post
Surely you can't be serious? EVERYTHING you have mentioned in EVERY one of of your posts questioning the validity of "forces" or how to measure them has been done. Go back to elementry school science class.

You're questioning how we know what gravity is and how it works and then get mad when people point and laugh at you for ignoring what is not just common knowledge but PROVEN common knowledge. Then you probably wonder why people reject what you have to say and your only come back is "Haha well you're going to be burning in hell."

That's not informative or a debate. Also if you put an idea out there prepare to defend it with facts (like science does) and not just cry and take your ball home. I will give you the basis of getting your info from the bible but you claim that god uses science to "show himself" so where is your scientific evidence that your stopped sun happened?
I am not mad at anyone, and I "said" not one thing about anyone "burning in hell", and I ask you to retract those slanderous lies.

"science" is not an entity and defends nothing. Men pretending to know what they do not know, whose theories are disproved faster than you can keep up with, by others who make other claims, are not scientists, but pretenders.
And so who "proved" what gravity was, and when? Why is it overcome so easily by electromagnetic "forces"?
gravity? -look at this demo: the magnet does not "obey" your "law" of "gravity" when dropped through a copper tube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3uos...eature=related
Boyd Bushman does not agree with you, either -and I don't think Tesla did, either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eckSEyeIuRk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dj88...eature=related -anti-gravity

David Sereda with Boyd Bushman - Anti-Gravity / UFO Disclosure

Last edited by yeshuasavedme; 12-24-2009 at 01:26 PM..

Old 07-06-2010, 07:12 PM

697 posts, read 1,071,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleatis View Post
Anyone ever notice that these strange and miraculous events have never happened again since about 2000 bce? Just an observation...
I remember asking my mom about this when I was a kid and she said "That was the age of miracles." I guess that meant this is not the age of miracles. I pondered that answer for literally years!

Now that I'm a mom myself I imagine she just answered the question the way I answer the gazillion questions that my kids ask me that I don't know the answer to - with something plausible enough to shut me up for a while. That's all!

Old 07-07-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmalltownKSgirl View Post
I remember asking my mom about this when I was a kid and she said "That was the age of miracles." I guess that meant this is not the age of miracles. I pondered that answer for literally years!

Now that I'm a mom myself I imagine she just answered the question the way I answer the gazillion questions that my kids ask me that I don't know the answer to - with something plausible enough to shut me up for a while. That's all!
This is still the age of "miracles" done in the name of the LORD, or by the LORD through his servants -whether his angelic forces or men. or both, working together. It never ceases. You just aren't reading the accounts written down and seeing them. They have never ceased, To catalogue them there would not be enough time in one life.
God has used his "forces" -"angels" of nature to aid men who call on Him, to win many wars against enemies who want to destroy them. Histories of the nations are filled with such accounts.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:57 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
According to a Haida story, in the beginning the world was in total darkness.

The Raven, who had existed from the beginning of time, was tired of groping about and bumping into things in the dark.

Eventually the Raven came upon the home of an old man who lived alone with his daughter. Through his slyness, the Raven learned that the old man had a great treasure. This was all the light in the universe, contained in a tiny box concealed within many boxes. At once the Raven vowed to steal the light.

He thought and thought, and finally came up with a plan. He waited until the old man's daughter came to the river to gather water. Then the Raven changed himself into a single hemlock needle and dropped himself into the river, just as the girl was dipping her water-basket into the river.

As she drank from the basket, she swallowed the needle. It slipped and slithered down into her warm belly, where the Raven transformed himself again, this time into a tiny human. After sleeping and growing there for a very long time, at last the Raven emerged into the world once more, this time as a human infant.

Even though he had a rather strange appearance, the Raven's grandfather loved him. But the old man threatened dire punishment if he ever touched the precious treasure box. Nonetheless the Ravenchild begged and begged to be allowed to hold the light just for a moment.

In time the old man yielded, and lifted from the box a warm and glowing sphere, which he threw to his grandson.

As the light was moving toward him, the human child transformed into a gigantic black shadowy bird-form, wings spread ready for flight, and beak open in anticipation. As the beautiful ball of light reached him, the Raven captured it in his beak!

Moving his powerful wings, he burst through the smoke-hole in the roof of the house, and escaped into the darkness with his stolen treasure.

And that is how light came into the universe.

Do you believe this story?
Well........makes more sense than the biblical version.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:23 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,622,386 times
I find it odd that someone would take the word of nomadic goat herders who lived 2000 years ago over scientists today.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:50 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,914,585 times
Wink Pure silliness on it's face. Again.

All these miraculous events claimed, and yet not a shred of any modern evidence. You know, the real, observable, even videotaped type. Not couched in endless ambiguities: "And the Lord said it would be as a bird's singing in the darkening evening skies..."

Meaning, variously and situation-dependent:

That birds will forecast an impending darkening, or (i) volcano, obviously (or (ii) big sandstorm, or (iii) heavy rain clouds, or (iv) a plague of locusts, or or... or...

In essence, whatever the poster wants it to be. Despite all the rational explanations for whatever has just happened.

To be clear, all of YSM's desperate stories rely completely on such speculative, imaginative story-telling, fables and metaphors. Her source book is far beyond the bible per se, (The Book of Jasher, a religious cultist offshoot if ever there was one...) and is coincidentally absent any documentation. Not even as the FSM has been, now seen first-hand by hundreds in New York City, BTW....

The Lost Books - The Book of Jasher - Chapters 1-2

Given the total absence of even the barest hints at rational, organized questioning and methods of inquiry (i.e.: science...) back then, all of it driven by fear-soaked mythologies, people cringing at volcanoes, lightning, heavy rains, wolves howling in the night, solar eclipses (an impossibility in YSM's world of an equal-sized moon and sun, trying [crunch...] to occupy the same space and time without colliding... sigh...). Well, you get the picture.

Then, she denies intermolecular forces (and thus gravity; since it's likely the same thing...), the sort that we can see in our kitchen when we sprinkle a little, say, nutmeg onto the surface of some water in a glass, and the particles gloom onto each other. then spray a bit of dishwashing soap which changes the interaction forces, and bingo, they separate. God's hand no doubt. He has nothing else to do but play in your kitchen. Or mind.

As well, absent these now-proven facts or sub-atomic nuclear physics, none of our nuclear reactors or Hydrogen bombs would work. We'd have dropped it on Hiroshima and THUD; it'd still be there, stuck in the ground, rusting.

She also admits that she's not a "numbers person" and yet chooses to argue numbers, statistics and observations with those of us who are quite fluent with such means of questioning and analysis. What would science be without numbers I wonder. And could they have built those energy-creating stone pyramid/spaceships of hers without a single calculation? I doubt it, but not she. Nope. All of it was apparently done by aliens off the top of their heads.... "Back of the papyrus" napkin calculations, one would imagine....

Including their work, in the time of Adam and Eve, with advanced gene splicing, I noted yesterday. Wow! I'm in total awe of these early types!

So what if we don't yet fully understand it? We sure understand a lot more than we did even 10 years go. Imagine what we'll know in, say, 20 more years... if the religious zealots on both sides here (Bush/Limbaugh-think versus Ahmadinejhad versus Khadafi versus the wronged Palestinians versus India versus Pakistan versus the Taliban....versus our almighty thermo-nuclear event-ending capabilities.) Which, if used even once, will bring on China and then north Korea.

All because of theistic zealousness... Yeah: atheism and science is just so darned evil, huh?

Oh well then; let's all run about like chickens when a hungry hawk flies over, screaming "God Save Me!"

Well, on a personal note, I'd like to thank you, YSM: you're off my "Ignore List" because, well, you're just too darned amusing!

Last edited by rifleman; 07-07-2010 at 02:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality