Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 08:09 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,683 times

Advertisements

I really don't understand very well what being "saved" actually means but I think I understand the jist of it. So what about children who are too young to understand what it means to be saved? What is going to happen to them? I've heard some people say that only those who are saved are going to Heaven. So then would you condemn your 3 or 5 or 6 year old to hell because they are too young?
Also if there are any Catholics out there; I'm curious as to know why the Catholic church believes that little children need baptism to be saved? I've heard that if kids are not baptized they go to Limbo or Purgatory?? Can someone who is familiar with this explain it to me. Thankyou.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 08:29 PM

23,024 posts, read 34,412,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I really don't understand very well what being "saved" actually means but I think I understand the jist of it. So what about children who are too young to understand what it means to be saved? What is going to happen to them? I've heard some people say that only those who are saved are going to Heaven. So then would you condemn your 3 or 5 or 6 year old to hell because they are too young?
Also if there are any Catholics out there; I'm curious as to know why the Catholic church believes that little children need baptism to be saved? I've heard that if kids are not baptized they go to Limbo or Purgatory?? Can someone who is familiar with this explain it to me. Thankyou.
Children too young to understand this do NOT go to hell. The age of accountably is different for everyone, but anyone who is too YOUNG to understand does NOT go to hell.
I don't know why the Catholic's sprinkle or baptize their children. I am Baptist and we baptize after a person is saved, it is a symbol of Christ death, burial and resurrection, you are raised to walk a new life in Christ.
Being saved is when you ask Jesus into come into your heart, you realize you're a sinner and ask Him to forgive you, you repent, you give your heart to Him. It takes faith to do this.
I have to admit I'm kind of surprised that you asked this because I thought you are a Christian that is saved, based on your other post.

Last edited by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA; 04-27-2007 at 09:01 PM..

Old 04-27-2007, 08:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,145,683 times
I am a Christian and I do believe that I am "saved" but I think a lot of my thoughts and beliefs differ from others and I am curious to know what other peoples views on it are since there seems to be differing opinions on things.
Thankyou for your response.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:42 AM

1,233 posts, read 3,436,575 times
That is a tactic used to scare people and get them to be obedient, run down to the nearest church, give money and time, so that they and there family can go to heaven...been used against the masses since day one here.

Old 04-28-2007, 10:46 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,262,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghPaNative View Post
That is a tactic used to scare people and get them to be obedient, run down to the nearest church, give money and time, so that they and there family can go to heaven...been used against the masses since day one here.
What "tactic" are you speaking of?
Our loving God would never send a child who is under the age of accountablity to hell. Good grief. God is looking for ways to let more
people into Heaven not keeping people out.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:27 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,229,683 times
Quote:
It is obvious on this forum that people are not scared to be atheists or afraid of dying and spending eternity in Hell, so where that comment come from? Church attendance, obedience, and tithing are not how one gets to Heaven. By now, I'm sure you know the one and only way to live eternally in Heaven.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:31 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,229,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
If one is saved, he or she should know it. It's the rest of us in the world who don't know for sure if people are saved as only God knows their hearts and the names of the saved are already written in the Lamb's Book of Life. It's God place to know the hearts of others, not ours.

ILNC post is totally true about children and Heaven. If they haven't reached the age of accountability and pass from this Earth, they will live with Jesus in Heaven.

Jesus said, “Let the little children come unto me... for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these... Then he took the children up in his arms and placed his hands on their heads and he blessed them. Mark 10:14-16

It is up to parents to guide their children spiritually.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:37 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,262,314 times
I believe "limbo" and "purgatory" are part of the Catholics beliefs. There is no place in the Bible that mentions either of these. It is not biblical.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:45 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,992,843 times
Being saved means that one has acknowledged that Jesus was fully God and fully man and His purpose on this planet was to live sinlessly and show that religions of merit and works do no good. Human sin, even the least of it, doesn't qualify for Heaven where there is no sin. So recognizing this is our nature and accepting nothing we ourselves can do is the beginning of believing in Jesus. If you're a person who says: "As long as I try to live well, treat others well, be a good person - I should go to Heaven". It doesn't work that way. The problem of sin isn't resolved. Jesus resolved it for us by taking our sin and allowing Himself to take our just punishment. His death on the cross and taking the stripes for us was He sacrificing Himself and taking the sins of the world onto Himself...even though He NEVER sinned! His death and subsequent resurrection proved He defeated sin and death.
Being saved is understanding the above and then believing that Jesus took our deserved punishment. Every other human being has sinned. He stepped and offered to substitute Himself in our stead. A free gift of eternal Heaven as God the Father would look upon us as He does Jesus if we believe he died to take the place of the eternal price we should have paid for our sins.
When you stop and think about it, knowing that God Himself came to earth and allowed Himself to be sacrificed after allowing all the sinful temptations of the world to try and trip Him up, He never sinned. When you pray and wonder if God understand the temptations you face, be assured He does. He was tempted by all the things you and I are. He never succumbed. He was perfect. Therefore He had no stain of sin and was the only answer to saving mankind from the penalty of sin.
He offers it to us without cost. You can't work for it, you don't deserve it, you can't do rituals perfectly and expect anything you do yourself to get salvation. It's by grace and faith in Jesus having already taken our place.
As for children, ILOVENC has it right. There is an age of accountability and God knows who has reached it and who hasn't if they die young. Young children cannot be held accountable and they go to Heaven.
P.S. Baptism is not required for salvation.
And, the Catholic Church just officially jettisoned the "Limbo" crap about two weeks ago. I'm sure "Purgatory" is next.

Last edited by MoMark; 04-28-2007 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-28-2007, 01:11 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,758,098 times
Quote:
There is not one example in the Bible of infant Baptism. And Baptism, by the way, does not cost anything. Anyone can come to my church, accept Jesus Christ and be Baptized whether or not they give their money or time

You have it backwards (no disrespect). It's when one accepts Christ as his or her saviour that one happily serves Him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality