Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 01:30 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,150,608 times

Advertisements

Thankyou to all who have responded. So does anyone believe there is a "set" age of accountability or does God determine that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2007, 01:33 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,267,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
Thankyou to all who have responded. So does anyone believe there is a "set" age of accountability or does God determine that?
There is no "set" age of accountability.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:22 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,734,240 times
Age of accountibility IMO is set by God. It's a matter of the heart. It's when a person truly knows right from wrong. I say person instead of child because there are many adults who still have the mind of a child (such as mentally challenged people). Because these people, and children do not have a true understanding of good and evil, right and wrong, they are not held accountable. It's the same way when babies die while in the womb, in childbirth or as a baby...they have no understanding of right and wrong. Ultimately it is God's decision.

Old 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,452,392 times
spunky and Hoosier are correct, there is no "set" age, it's different for everyone.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:44 PM

291 posts, read 832,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post

Also if there are any Catholics out there; I'm curious as to know why the Catholic church believes that little children need baptism to be saved? I've heard that if kids are not baptized they go to Limbo or Purgatory?? Can someone who is familiar with this explain it to me. Thankyou.
A few days ago, April 20, the Pope reviewed the traditional understanding of limbo we Catholics had – so, yes, we believe babies who die go to Heaven, even unbaptized ones.

Here’s the text about it:
http://www.catholic.org/internationa...y.php?id=23885

Having been raised as a Catholic, I must say that the concept of limbo has always been taken with certain reservations.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:21 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,300 times
Ahh, that old bugaboo, "the age of accountability". Playing the devil's advocate, again, (sorry, Hoosier_guy, I just can't resist), I would like to pose a scenario: Twins, let us say in their teens, both of reasonable intelligence, (i.e. capable of understanding good from evil), both are good kids. Both are church goers, all their life. One Sunday, one walks up the aisle, and publicly accepts Christ; the other does not. In fact, other than going to church, he doesn't show a particular interest in spiritual matters. On this Sunday, after church, the parents are rejoicing that one of their children has become saved, but they continue to worry over the other. A wreck occurs, both children are killed. During the funeral the preacher can offer much comfort to the grieving parents concerning the one child, but the best he can do with the other, is to tell the parents that perhaps the child, in the last moment before death, accepted Jesus, or that perhaps he, (the child), had not yet reached his own age of accountability, and this is what the parents must hold on to, for comfort and hope, for the rest of their lives. Problem? And, how would any of you address it? By the way, I'm not trying to be facetious. This age of accountability thing has always been a problem for me, amongst many others.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:28 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,267,850 times
Since you clarified they were in their teens, understood good from evil, are intelligent, and have been given the opportunity and exposed to Christ then I would say they were both of the age of accountability.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
Ahh, that old bugaboo, "the age of accountability". Playing the devil's advocate, again, (sorry, Hoosier_guy, I just can't resist), I would like to pose a scenario: Twins, let us say in their teens, both of reasonable intelligence, (i.e. capable of understanding good from evil), both are good kids. Both are church goers, all their life. One Sunday, one walks up the aisle, and publicly accepts Christ; the other does not. In fact, other than going to church, he doesn't show a particular interest in spiritual matters. On this Sunday, after church, the parents are rejoicing that one of their children has become saved, but they continue to worry over the other. A wreck occurs, both children are killed. During the funeral the preacher can offer much comfort to the grieving parents concerning the one child, but the best he can do with the other, is to tell the parents that perhaps the child, in the last moment before death, accepted Jesus, or that perhaps he, (the child), had not yet reached his own age of accountability, and this is what the parents must hold on to, for comfort and hope, for the rest of their lives. Problem? And, how would any of you address it? By the way, I'm not trying to be facetious. This age of accountability thing has always been a problem for me, amongst many others.

You pose a difficult question...and quite good at being the devil's advocate. Seems like you've had lots of experience in that department.

Seriously though, if I was the father I would just have to hold on to the hope that my one son did make a decision for Christ. I'm not sure that I personally would buy into the age of accountability comment unless I knew my son had certain issues. People, especially parents can usually tell when a child really understands right from wrong. But truly it is only God that has the final answer in it all.

No doubt my heart would be breaking for both of my sons. Thinking I would see one, and not the other would be even more heart-wrenching.

In some ways I am going through a similar situation you posed. My mother who is in her mid 60s is being tested for possible cancer. She is a breast cancer survivor, but now they've found something on her lungs. So in my belief system I am dealing with the fact that my mom could possibly die...and I don't believe she has accepted Christ into her life. But I also have to remind myself that again, only God knows her heart. It's not my place to judge or make decisions...it's only my place to share my love for her as a son, and also hope my love for Christ also shows through to her.

Celticlady you do pose a good question as always! Keep playing the devil's advocate! You've got a knack for it.

Old 04-28-2007, 04:51 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
You pose a difficult question...and quite good at being the devil's advocate. Seems like you've had lots of experience in that department.

Seriously though, if I was the father I would just have to hold on to the hope that my one son did make a decision for Christ. I'm not sure that I personally would buy into the age of accountability comment unless I knew my son had certain issues. People, especially parents can usually tell when a child really understands right from wrong. But truly it is only God that has the final answer in it all.

No doubt my heart would be breaking for both of my sons. Thinking I would see one, and not the other would be even more heart-wrenching.

In some ways I am going through a similar situation you posed. My mother who is in her mid 60s is being tested for possible cancer. She is a breast cancer survivor, but now they've found something on her lungs. So in my belief system I am dealing with the fact that my mom could possibly die...and I don't believe she has accepted Christ into her life. But I also have to remind myself that again, only God knows her heart. It's not my place to judge or make decisions...it's only my place to share my love for her as a son, and also hope my love for Christ also shows through to her.

Celticlady you do pose a good question as always! Keep playing the devil's advocate! You've got a knack for it.
You have my most sincere sympathies, Hoosier_guy. I've had family members who had cancer; some survived, some did not. I truly hope your mother will be okay.

I would like to ask you, though, whether through my imaginary scenario, or one of our own personal experiences, how is one supposed to be comforted with "perhaps" or "maybe", or "only God knows their heart", etc.? In the realm of most Christian belief, there is heaven, and there is hell. Based on Christian belief, there are only two possibilities, and if a loved one, to the best of our knowledge, is not a Christian, personally, I don't believe there much comfort or hope, in such a situation. We are, after all, speaking of eternity. How then, is this "Good News"? In the case of my imaginary scenario, the good news may only apply to the one child, and not to the other. What possible comfort could the parents get from this? And, how is this good news for them? Am I making sense? I don't really expect a satisfactory answer to such a large question, (theologians and lay people, both, have wrestled with this for centuries), but I am curious as to your thoughts on it.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
You have my most sincere sympathies, Hoosier_guy. I've had family members who had cancer; some survived, some did not. I truly hope your mother will be okay.

I would like to ask you, though, whether through my imaginary scenario, or one of our own personal experiences, how is one supposed to be comforted with "perhaps" or "maybe", or "only God knows their heart", etc.? In the realm of most Christian belief, there is heaven, and there is hell. Based on Christian belief, there are only two possibilities, and if a loved one, to the best of our knowledge, is not a Christian, personally, I don't believe there much comfort or hope, in such a situation. We are, after all, speaking of eternity. How then, is this "Good News"? In the case of my imaginary scenario, the good news may only apply to the one child, and not to the other. What possible comfort could the parents get from this? And, how is this good news for them? Am I making sense? I don't really expect a satisfactory answer to such a large question, (theologians and lay people, both, have wrestled with this for centuries), but I am curious as to your thoughts on it.
Thank you for your kind words regarding my mom. We have to wait 'til next week to find out the news.

Now down to business. I honestly don't know how one is supposed to be comforted with a perhaps or maybe. I know that when loved ones have passed on I just really have to put my faith in God's hands that they are in heaven. When you don't know, I think it really comes down to your own faith.

Some may say your faith is shaken during a time like this, however I disagree with that statement. During times like this faith is shaped, molded and strengthened. It's in the tough times that who we really are comes through.

Since I've never lost a child it is so difficult for me to know how it would feel. I can imagine but I haven't experienced it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality