Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:15 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solutions View Post
IF YOU GET ONLY ONE THING OUT OF THIS PLEASE TAKE THIS ONE BIT OF INFORMATION TO HEART...
GOD is our Father whom lives up in Heaven... Let that sink in for a minute...Would a kind loving daddy want to be mean to his child? NO never he would want only the best for that child. BUT know this he must find ways to correct you same as if you get grounded when you were caught doing something wrong as a teenager. DAD PUNISHED YOU, with the hopes that you would never again do that bad thing again. It will hurt you or someone else sooner or later.
There is one problem with this scenario, however. We, as humans, do not punish our children eternally. We punish, or discipline, for corrective measures, in order to teach them. Thus, there is a reason for our actions. What possible lesson is learned hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,150,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
There is one problem with this scenario, however. We, as humans, do not punish our children eternally. We punish, or discipline, for corrective measures, in order to teach them. Thus, there is a reason for our actions. What possible lesson is learned hell?
I think what she is saying is that God loves us and does not want to punish us eternally. He does however correct us on earth and may even chastise us for our behavior but I believe He only punishes "eternally" very few. So to our parents correct and may even chastise their children for their behavior but would not intentionally be mean.

Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
I think what she is saying is that God loves us and does not want to punish us eternally. He does however correct us on earth and may even chastise us for our behavior but I believe He only punishes "eternally" very few. So to our parents correct and may even chastise their children for their behavior but would not intentionally be mean.
Since you believe that God punishes "eternally" very few, is it possible that you believe in universalism? Basically, the belief that Jesus will save all, eventually? There are some differences in the universalist camp. Some of them believe that most people will be saved, (as opposed to traditional Christianity, that preaches that very few will be saved), other than possibly the most heinous, including Satan. Others believe that even those most evil of sinners, including Satan, will be saved, in God's own time. Christian universalists do not believe that there are other ways to God. They believe that Jesus is the only way, but they don't believe that death is the dividing line. I was just curious, as I have read and studied some about universalism.

On a personal level, I don't believe in hell, (in the traditional sense), although I think punishment/discipline is certainly a realistic possibility. Just not eternally, because I don't think there is any remedial value, or purpose, to it. I think that, if indeed, the Bible is God's word, (though I'm not entirely convinced of that), that it has been wrongly interpreted, and has placed God in a very harsh light. Frankly, I think that to believe in an eternal hell, is to believe in the failure of God.

Last edited by CelticLady1; 04-29-2007 at 10:07 AM..

Old 04-29-2007, 10:43 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,237,999 times
An eternal Hell is not a failure of God, it is a place for people that fail to acknowledge His Son. God doesn't send anyone to Hell. You send yourself there. God has done everything He possibly can to keep you out of Hell and still leave you as a person with free will and not just a robot. That's the way He made us, after His image, after His likeness, the power to say "yes" or the power to say "no," the power to reject our own Creator, and of course to take the consequences.

Across from Hell He has placed the cross of Christ. There are also the prayers of parents, pastors and Sunday school teachers, and all the other things that God brings into our lives to stop us on our selfish way and to bring us to the Savior. We have to go wandering on past it all and put ourselves in Hell.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:35 AM

23,030 posts, read 34,452,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
An eternal Hell is not a failure of God, it is a place for people that fail to acknowledge His Son. God doesn't send anyone to Hell. You send yourself there. God has done everything He possibly can to keep you out of Hell and still leave you as a person with free will and not just a robot. That's the way He made us, after His image, after His likeness, the power to say "yes" or the power to say "no," the power to reject our own Creator, and of course to take the consequences.

Across from Hell He has placed the cross of Christ. There are also the prayers of parents, pastors and Sunday school teachers, and all the other things that God brings into our lives to stop us on our selfish way and to bring us to the Savior. We have to go wandering on past it all and put ourselves in Hell.
I agree 100%! God does NOT send people their. The only way to escape hell is through the blood of Jesus. It's our choice.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:33 PM

If it is true that God is love, how do we explain the doctrine of eternal torment, and/or separation from God?

If the Bible is true, when it says that God is love, does he only love us on this side of the grave? Would we only love our children on this side of the grave, even if they have strayed?

He commands us to "forgive seventy times seven", which, from what I can gather, means endlessly. Will he demand that we do what he will not?

If you believe in the doctrine of never-ending punishment, can you admit that there will come a time when God can no longer love?

We are told it is free choice, then we are told that we are helpless. If that is the case, how does a helpless person help himself? Romans 3:11 says that no one is seeking out God. So, now what? Some are lucky enough, or smart enough to figure it out, somehow, in time, but too bad for everyone else?

You say that hell is a choice, (and yes, I was taught the same), yet Christians describe God as a heavenly father. What sort of father would abandon a child just because that child threw a tantrum, and said that he didn't want, and didn't love his father? Yes, the father may allow a certain distance, but if the child ran into the street, during the tantrum, would that father continue to allow that child to have his "choice" or "free will"? I seriously doubt it, and if he did, he surely wouldn't be considered much of a father, by anyone's standards.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:01 PM

99 posts, read 505,284 times
Hello, I know this can all be confusing to many .Being Saved or Borned Again is a confession of your sins and knowing that Jesus Christ is the Son of the Living God and that he shed his Blood and died for you and all man kind taking your sin my sin and the worlds sin upon himself .So that we can walk in that forgiveness and be free from it .I do beleive that it is not about what church you belong to or how many Good Deeds you have done as it is Do You Know Him ? Do you have a Intimate Realtionship with Him. Do you walk with HIM and hear His Voice ? There is a HUDGE diff. in Knowing Him and being Religous.Jesus himself called the Religous Leaders A Brood of Vipors,and Hyporcites .Because they were Bound my the Laws and didn't know him . I think childern are inconcent to about 12 or so when they can really grasp what there doing is sin and is greiving the heart of God .Does God wack us over the Head and throw us aside because we fail him, and fall down alot .I beleive not He see's and Loves us just the way we are but like a Loving Father he wants Great Things for us and his desire is to see us walk in our God Given Destiny what he created us for and why we are here on earth to have fellowship with him :O) to be all that he perdestined us for before we were borned .You see he knew us before we were borned .He knew everything about us and so he knows the end to are life as well here on Earth .I have had incounter's with Him and I know that I know he is Reallllllllllllllll!! I hate Religon and all it's Poltics but I Love My Master Jesus .

Old 04-29-2007, 01:12 PM

23,030 posts, read 34,452,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CelticLady1 View Post
If it is true that God is love, how do we explain the doctrine of eternal torment, and/or separation from God?

If the Bible is true, when it says that God is love, does he only love us on this side of the grave? Would we only love our children on this side of the grave, even if they have strayed?

He commands us to "forgive seventy times seven", which, from what I can gather, means endlessly. Will he demand that we do what he will not?

If you believe in the doctrine of never-ending punishment, can you admit that there will come a time when God can no longer love?

We are told it is free choice, then we are told that we are helpless. If that is the case, how does a helpless person help himself? Romans 3:11 says that no one is seeking out God. So, now what? Some are lucky enough, or smart enough to figure it out, somehow, in time, but too bad for everyone else?

You say that hell is a choice, (and yes, I was taught the same), yet Christians describe God as a heavenly father. What sort of father would abandon a child just because that child threw a tantrum, and said that he didn't want, and didn't love his father? Yes, the father may allow a certain distance, but if the child ran into the street, during the tantrum, would that father continue to allow that child to have his "choice" or "free will"? I seriously doubt it, and if he did, he surely wouldn't be considered much of a father, by anyone's standards.
I goes back to same thing that was said earlier, it's a choice people make. Everyone is given the opportunity to accept Jesus as their savior. The Bible teaches this is the ONLY way to Heaven, through Jesus. If people could go to Heaven just by being good, that would make God a liar. John 3 17-18:" God did not send his son into the world to condemn it but to save it. There is no judgment awaiting those who trust Him. But those who do not trust Him have already been judged for not believing in the only Son of God".
I'm not sure but I think the verse you are referring to in Romans is about people who have turned their back on God and are no longer seeking Him.
I do believe God is a loving God, that's why He sent Jesus to die on the cross for us, He is faithful, true and fair.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:13 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,394,077 times
"Being saved" is a creation of man. In my opinion it is absolute rubbish and it is only intended to make people feel better about themselves and to show others solidarity. Also to gain acceptance in their circle of either friends, communities and the like.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:31 PM

99 posts, read 505,284 times
He Loves you anyway and you were created in his likeness :O)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality