Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 02:51 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,147,629 times

Advertisements

Timothy 3:16 (KJV)

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

It appears that the inspiration of the bible is quoted in this passage. I am using the King James as it is the translation I am most familiar with.

Is the basis upon which people refer when they speak of the Bible being inspired by God or God's word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 02:58 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,075,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreameyes View Post
All I see is someone (many in fact) sharing their beliefs with others of the same faith and those who want to hear it.
You do? Then what was all that finger-pointing-around-the-room "YOU all TOOK MY CRECHE AWAY and forced me to no longer believe in the Easter bunny!" stuff?

Oh, wait. That was just an "honest and open sharing of beliefs". Sorry. My error.

Old 04-09-2007, 03:06 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,148,312 times
No that was what society has done. He was not pointing a finger at anyone. He was addressing a sad situation today. Oh and that was in the other thread.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:06 PM

23,026 posts, read 34,433,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.

It appears that the inspiration of the bible is quoted in this passage. I am using the King James as it is the translation I am most familiar with.

Is the basis upon which people refer when they speak of the Bible being inspired by God or God's word?
For me the answer is yes. There are more verses I can look up for you, if you want me to.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:36 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,729,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
ETA: I have nothing against Christianity. I DO have something about anyone who repetitively posts to the world at large about how wrong we are for not having his own beliefs and how our choices are bad-bad-bad. That's just...silly.
So should I take this as a personal attack? Where in any of my posts or threads have I ever forced my beliefs on you or anyone else on this board? I'm not asking anyone to agree with me on anything I post. If you choose to disagree that is completely fine with me. But get off your high and mighty horse telling me that I'm saying you're bad, bad, bad or that you're wrong. If you're reading between the lines then you're not getting what the thread is about. And if you don't like the threads or posts, as I told another poster, put me on your ignore list or simply ignore my threads.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:25 PM

Yes, please, if it isn't too much trouble. And to keep it simple, perhaps just the references. I can easily look up the verses on line. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
For me the answer is yes. There are more verses I can look up for you, if you want me to.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:04 PM

23,026 posts, read 34,433,113 times
Quote:
Yes, please, if it isn't too much trouble. And to keep it simple, perhaps just the references. I can easily look up the verses on line. Thanks.
Here are a few, I'm sure there are more: 2 Peter 1:20-21, John 1:1-5, Prov 30-5 and Romans 15:3-4. I read these in the New Living Translation. Let me know if you have any questions

Old 04-09-2007, 07:05 PM

Thanks, I'll check these out in NLT and KJV and if I do have questions (probably will) I'll post on the secular et al. thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Here are a few, I'm sure there are more: 2 Peter 1:20-21, John 1:1-5, Prov 30-5 and Romans 15:3-4. I read these in the New Living Translation. Let me know if you have any questions

Old 04-09-2007, 09:01 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,192,274 times
Quote:

I read this Thanks for finding it. Also, reading further 2 Timothy 4:1-5 explains why Christians need to PREACH the word.
So, sorry if this is offensive to some but God does tell us to spread the word and all every one does is get mad!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality