Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:17 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,410,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post

The Catholic Bible is actually very much like the mainstream Protestant Bible. They make call one of their books "Apocalypse", but it's the same book as Revelations in the Protestant Bible. I think God cares more about us reading and obeying him then which name we call that book. Also, the Catholic Bible has books in it that are not in the Protestant Bible, but they are basically stories that happened years ago. They contain no commandments. or prophecies, or other things that I personally consider to be important. As far as the Bibles in Egypt, I'm not familiar with them. Could you give us info on them?

Sorry, I tried to use a different color, but it didn't work. Some of my responses are actually in your post.
Fair enough. I was referring specifically to the fact that the Catholic Bible contains books not found in the Protestant Bible. If one believes that the Bible is LITERALLY true (i.e. every single thing within the Bible is true) then how can one denomination's Bible have things that another's doesn't have. Unless those that believe such things believe that their version of the Bible is the truth and the other is essentially a false Bible. Just trying to see how they square that circle.

As far as the Coptic Bible, I think it has additional Gospels that are not found in the Western Bibles. Same things with the Ethiopian Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 11:21 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,616,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
Yap, I don't know what you mean by "religious spam". But this thread is regarding religion, you state the Christians are riddling the board with this stuff, what does that mean? Do you not think people have a right to start certain topics they want to discuss. People don't have to read them if they find them tiring.

And you yourself have made quite a few disparaging remarks labeling Christians-lets be fair. You obviously have some deep-seated disdain for the Christian conservatives, do you not? I think we can all work on respecting the other side. But I think it is very easy for people to take pot-shots at the Christian conservatives and refer to them as sheep, dumb, followers, irrational etc.

Respect is a two way street.
You sound so hot when you're being defiant, lol.

Howzabout a pic there spunky?

Seriously, yes, I take pot-shots at religious conservatives as a group. I will continue to do so until people learn to disconnect religion from politics. The two just don't belong together.

At any rate, what I meant was, we don't usually talk about all the negative things with the church. If we keep seeing post after post of people "preaching", then that can and will change.

Who wants that? I don't.

~T

Old 04-07-2007, 11:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 3,236,134 times
If the non-believers don't like the title of the thread, why do they bother reading the posts? No one is forcing anyone to do so. I by-pass many threads that don't appeal to me such as:

Nancy Pelosi's Trip To Syria

Why Are Gays So Hated?

What's Up With Blacks and Latinos

Bill versus Geraldo

Just ignore the threads not liked and in doing so, avoid all the "spam."

I know when He was on the cross, I was on His mind, and I'm thankful every day for that.

Old 04-08-2007, 03:54 AM

642 posts, read 3,076,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
We agree on something.

I'll dispute your actions, and dispute your beliefs.

Of course, I'm happy to split a pitcher of beer with ya when we're done, lol.

Personal attacks, it's a waste of time. It takes credibility away from the argument, and gets deleted anyway at some point.

I think Guide was being harsh, but personal attack? Maybe I missed it.

NorthSouth - No, I'm not going down that rabbit hole, lol. Let's just agree to disagree on religion. All I ask is that religious folks don't post gratuitous, spammy threads. Sorry, but I have to call it spam. It might be spam you LIKE, but it's still spam by definition. It's an unsolicited advertisement.

~T
I guess one could say that about any political or controversial thread. Your comment could have easily been "All I ask is that political folks don't post gratuitious spammy threads." or "All I ask it that postive folks don't post gratuitious spammy threads." or you name it.

You may not realize this but much in this day and age is a religion, above and beyond the traditional religions. Environmentalism, Meism, PCism, The hating of the rich ism, Atheism, Science (for some), intellectualism, legalism it goes on and on. Spread the word my friend, spread the word. And they do. Will you tell these people essentially to quick posting? Then we should all quit posting then. Are you familiar with your own religion?

Watch for these other religions. Listen. It is everywhere. So I guess since everyone else can speak, then heck, why squelch just us Christians/Religious folks? Last time I looked no one forced anyone to come on a thread and honestly threads are best when people are all sharing something and something real and passionate to them. We can all ignore those that we think are off the mark or comment as I have. Whenever one argues their point they are presenting an advertisement--is it unsolicited? I guess that is in the eye of the beholder, probably not to the poster and yes to the person who doesn't want to read it. Just like beauty. Some we look at. Some we skip over. But to ask those that we don't find attractive to ask them to leave or not to talk. No that is not a forum to me at all.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewGee View Post
If the non-believers don't like the title of the thread, why do they bother reading the posts? No one is forcing anyone to do so. I by-pass many threads that don't appeal to me such as:

Nancy Pelosi's Trip To Syria

Why Are Gays So Hated?

What's Up With Blacks and Latinos

Bill versus Geraldo

Just ignore the threads not liked and in doing so, avoid all the "spam."

I know when He was on the cross, I was on His mind, and I'm thankful every day for that.
Hey! That Bill versus Geraldo thread was kinda fun!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
I agree HAPPY Resurrection Sunday!

HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 07:55 AM

2,639 posts, read 3,236,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairweathergolfer View Post
Hey! That Bill versus Geraldo thread was kinda fun!!!
Well, I didn't even look at it but I do not like Geraldo and have no desire to read anything about him. The other guy I'm not all that familiar with as I don't watch much of that stuff on the media. I'm glad it was fun for those who did participate.

Old 04-08-2007, 10:49 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,266,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guide View Post
I would never go so far as to say you are smart, if you were you would be curious as to the pagan origins of Christianity, I figured you were a guy because you are rude and angry.
The rudest angriest poster on these boards use to be greatbasingude, now it appears it's his evil twin guide.

Buy maybe guide got banned too.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:36 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,090,701 times
So does that mean you take the Bible literally?

When God says "...though shalt worship no other gods before me," do you take that as "the" word? I mean because that is literally saying there are other gods out there. That's the Hebrew God acknowledging the existance of other gods.

Oh no, wait...that's one we are supposed to interpret rather than take literally. But just that one...right? We're supposed to day, "Well, the original scripture had a spit mark on it and where it said 'gods' it actually said 'idols'."

And the Adam and Eve thing. God created just those two. Yet when Cain is sent out of Eden, he meets up with a whole lot of, well, other people.

Wait, wait. That's supposed to be interpreted too. The Bible didn't literally mean God only made those two people. The supposition was left in there without God realizing that when the word said two people were created out of no other people already existing, people would think, well, that it meant two people were created out of no other people already existing. Honest mistake! Just those two then.

So, I mean...those two examples, and many others, are the ONLY things in the Bible that should be interpreted rather than taken literally. Really! I promise! Seriously.

Wait now, HoosierGuy, what was that somebody was saying about how wrong it is to pick and choose "word of God" as one sees fit? I sure hope that wasn't anybody Christian........

ETA: I have nothing against Christianity. I DO have something about anyone who repetitively posts to the world at large about how wrong we are for not having his own beliefs and how our choices are bad-bad-bad. That's just...silly.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:50 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,149,524 times
And who is repetively posting to the world telling you you are wrong and your choices are bad? All I see is someone (many in fact) sharing their beliefs with others of the same faith and those who want to hear it. No one forces anyone to read these posts. You know it seems like people who don't have an axe to grind just ignore posts they're not interested in but those who do go into ones purposefully to spew their venom. People can talk about what they want to. That's one of the wonderful freedoms in this country. Many things in this world offend me, but do I go around making a big stink about them? No I just stay away. Everyone is entitled to live the way they choose and share what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality