Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 08:40 PM

7,000 posts, read 6,921,896 times

Advertisements

Lifetimes as movies makes perfect sense to me because there are people who enjoy horror movies, disaster movies, romantic movies, etc so any genre is possible when looking at different peoples lives. That is probably the reason why some people choose 'difficult' lives as well as for the soul/spirit educational aspect of it too.

Folks who do out-of-body (OBE) travel (and there are many of them) say that time is a 3D Earth construct and as you travel in other dimensions and realities, there is no time. Thought will manifest stuff more quickly from the surrounding energy matrix in other realities. What that means is that, in our Earth reality, thoughts are manifested into physical items at a much slower rate than in other places. In the dream worlds for example, you only have to think about something and it is there. In our world, it takes a lot of creative visualisation/praying/imagining/etc to actually get something to appear for you in your life. So if your prayers are not working for you, then put more effort and energy into them.

Really, you guys should read some literature about OBE's to get a different perspective on our world. Robert Monroe (Monroe Institute) wrote 3 books about it and since he was an engineer, wrote them from a skeptics perspective. He spontaneously started to have OBEs and documented his experiences.

oh, another thought - if lifetimes are like movies, complete and beyond time, then it would be easy to have a life review because you just have to load up the movie and play the relevant parts back and see what you did wrong or right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 09:11 PM

16,135 posts, read 7,119,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You started off pretty good, but how can you assume the bolded?
No matter how bad things get there are moments of peace and joy within all people. I take this as a given based on my own lived experience, of times when things looked bleak and hopeless, there are still moments of peace, hope, and happiness, a state we keep returning to. We experience this peace in deep sleep, a peace that belongs to everyone regardless of their state. When we wake and we are aware of that peace, how we were lost to the world. This is natural to all, why not to those who are disabled? Their disability is in their body, not to their being. There are people so disabled and yet enter the marathon, their spirit in tact, not despondent.
Inner peace is natural. We forget that when we believe what matters are all external to us, which in reality never brings lasting contentment. If you believe in karma as you say you do, the consequence is borne in the world our mind projects. That is the samsara.

Old 05-07-2024, 09:31 PM

51,076 posts, read 24,554,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
No matter how bad things get there are moments of peace and joy within all people. I take this as a given based on my own lived experience, of times when things looked bleak and hopeless, there are still moments of peace, hope, and happiness, a state we keep returning to. We experience this peace in deep sleep, a peace that belongs to everyone regardless of their state. When we wake and we are aware of that peace, how we were lost to the world. This is natural to all, why not to those who are disabled? Their disability is in their body, not to their being. There are people so disabled and yet enter the marathon, their spirit in tact, not despondent.
Inner peace is natural. We forget that when we believe what matters are all external to us, which in reality never brings lasting contentment. If you believe in karma as you say you do, the consequence is borne in the world our mind projects. That is the samsara.
Perhaps in working with special ed students (including those who cannot really operate at all in regular society), as well as the physically handicapped students (muscular dystrophy, severe burn victims [so bad it made teachers vomit], students who sit in a wheelchair and 24/7 drool flows out of their mouth)...well, I fail to see the joy in many of those students, particularly when they know that they will die before they even graduate from middle school.

Old 05-08-2024, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Perhaps in working with special ed students (including those who cannot really operate at all in regular society), as well as the physically handicapped students (muscular dystrophy, severe burn victims [so bad it made teachers vomit], students who sit in a wheelchair and 24/7 drool flows out of their mouth)...well, I fail to see the joy in many of those students, particularly when they know that they will die before they even graduate from middle school.
That is sad. To a large part it is due to how a community makes space for people with disabilities. When we look at them as just disabled bodies we do harm to ourselves. When we remember we share the same inner being our attitude will also change.
When i first came to US what struck me as extraordinary was the Americans with Disability Act, protection of their rights. The ramps built for wheelchairs, parking spaces, equipment rentals, i found so much compassion in this. Our town has a Commission on Disabilities and they are very alert in procuring and securing all that people with disabilities need, and protect their rights.
I relate a large part of this sensibility to Christian principles.
All religions are man made, endowed with some principles. They can have positive impact or negative impact based on our own impulses. The heart of Hinduism, for instance, is stoicism. It is self directed, that you bear what has been dealt to you without complaints, you create your own world by your own actions and thoughts, examine your own inner self with introspection and contemplation to find God within, observe ethical behavior towards the world and all beings.
Christianity is more other directed. All religions exhort compassion and service to community. How it gets translated in action depends on many variables.

Last edited by cb2008; 05-08-2024 at 06:41 AM..

Old 05-08-2024, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Reality just exists and we find ourselves in it and have to choose how to respond to it.

While it is true that one's attitude or sense of agency or lack thereof can influence the degree to which one can transcend environment/circumstances or is crushed or dominated by them, I categorically reject the notion that one's challenges or blessings are self-created or chosen. There's no basis for such a notion, and it sets up an an environment of unsavory judgment of people who observably suffer. Or on the other hand, it sets up an environment of unsavory self-aggrandizement of people who happen to have had some good luck.
May I ask, as atheist what is the basis for your thinking or blaming an external invisible being, which you don’t believe exists, is responsible for your challenges and blessings? If i have not understood your position, please explain.
Between thinking an external being is punishing or rewarding you, and the thinking that the difficulties you experience is what you are dealt with and it is upto you to face them and resolve them, which do you think demonstrates agency?

Old 05-08-2024, 06:42 AM

22,643 posts, read 19,347,780 times
Quote:
That is sad. To a lrage part it is due to how a community makes space for people with disabilities. When we look at them as just disabled bodies we do harm to ourselves. When we remember we share the same inner being our attitude will also change.
When i first came to US what struck me as extraordinary was the Americans with Disability Act, protection of their rights. The ramps built for wheelchairs, parking spaces, equipment rentals, i found so much compassion in this. Our town has a Commission on Disabilities and they are very alert in procuring and securing all that people with disabilities need, and protect their rights.
I relate a large part of this sensibility to Christian principles.
All religions are man made, endowed with some principles. They can have positive impact or negative impact based on our own impulses. The heart of Hinduism, for instance, is stoicism. It is self directed, that you bear what has been dealt to you without complaints, you create your own world by your own actions and thoughts, examine your own inner self with introspection and contemplation to find God within, observe ethical behavior towards the world and all beings.
Christianity is more other directed. All religions exhort compassion and service to community. How it gets translated in action depends on many variables.
i don't see principles as being associated with any specific religion by name.
and I have never ever thought of the social services in the USA, of helping others, as stemming from a religion.

personally, i don't trust any religion that proselytizes, either individually or collectively. because there is an ulterior motive back of it. the religions which proselytize have built into their very fabric, the strongest judgment and harshest criticism for "others", and carry built in a sense of superiority. By viewing others, looking down on others, who don't believe like them as________ (fill in the blank): sinners, going to hell, wrong, infidels, deserving of punishment, lost, ignorant, blind.

every single person along the way in my 65+ years of living, every "friend" that identified themself as "Christian" at some point started putting the pressure on of proselytizing. that is not conducive to friendship and that is where the friendship ended every time. because in no uncertain terms it sends the message "you're not OK the way you are, you need to change and become like me instead."

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 05-08-2024 at 07:35 AM..

Old 05-08-2024, 07:24 AM

10,123 posts, read 6,488,549 times
Quote:
May I ask, as atheist what is the basis for your thinking or blaming an external invisible being, which you don’t believe exists, is responsible for your challenges and blessings? If i have not understood your position, please explain.
Between thinking an external being is punishing or rewarding you, and the thinking that the difficulties you experience is what you are dealt with and it is upto you to face them and resolve them, which do you think demonstrates agency?
I'm not the poster you were addressing, but I'd like to answer your question anyway. Why would anyone think or believe that "an external invisible being" would be responsible for one's challenges and blessings at all? If a drunk driver crashes into me, it has nothing to do with a Deity. If a tornado destroys my house and kills my family, is that G-d's fault? Does G-d cause little children, or anyone, to get horrible diseases, suffer, and die? If a man tries to assault and rape me, as one did when I was 23, is that the will of the Almighty? Of course not; it was the will of that mentally ill, evil man.

I've never felt like I was being punished or rewarded by an external being. Bad things happen due to the frailties of the body, genetics, accidents, and the deeds of other people. Good things happen because of human goodness, medical science, and the innate nature of most people to want to help others. IOW, we are pretty much on our own as humans and have to work out our own solutions to difficulties in life.

Old 05-08-2024, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
and I have never ever thought of the social services in the USA, of helping others, as stemming from a religion.

personally, i don't trust any religion that proselytizes, either individually or collectively. because there is an ulterior motive back of it. the religions which proselytize have built into their very fabric, the strongest judgment and harshest criticism for "others", and carry built in a sense of superiority. By viewing others, looking down on others, who don't believe like them as________ (fill in the blank): sinners, going to hell, wrong, infidels, deserving of punishment, lost, ignorant, blind.

every single person along the way in my 65+ years of living, every "friend" that identified themself as "Christian" at some point started putting the pressure on of proselytizing. that is not conducive to friendship and that is where the friendship ended every time. because in no uncertain terms it sends the message "you're not OK the way you are, you need to change and become like me instead."
Our mind projects our world and endows it with the qualities that we superimpose on it. It is for this reason many spiritual paths, and also psychotherapy, emphasizes the quietening of the mind by silencing our thoughts. When the mind is quietened we are left with our spirit which is awareness, fullness, and peace.

Old 05-08-2024, 08:08 AM

22,643 posts, read 19,347,780 times
Quote:

also:
the concept of "religious superiority" is as abhorrent as the concept of "racial superiority"

and history (and current events) have shown that both lead to the same ugly outcomes when carried out in practice and in action. when people attempt to live by and apply that "principle" in daily life.

Old 05-08-2024, 09:12 AM

Quote:
also:
the concept of "religious superiority" is as abhorrent as the concept of "racial superiority"

and history (and current events) have shown that both lead to the same ugly outcomes when carried out in practice and in action. when people attempt to live by and apply that "principle" in daily life.
Absolutely. Some times religious superiority includes race, tribe, ethnicity, caste, nation, and all kinds of body and mind stuff, and leads to tragic outcomes of violence, both inflicted and suffered.
Principles on the other hand, when they arise from the right place and not mixed up with any ego of superiority, cannot inflict violence either to self or others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality