Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 02:35 PM

20,041 posts, read 13,507,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
It was the professor himself in the video that stated that the best performing program, "tit for tat," was NOT Christian "turn the other cheek," but rather "eye for an eye."

If you think I am misinterpreting the video, I will gladly stand corrected if you can provide specifics from it.
I don't usually watch videos for lack of time and because most videos aren't very efficient at delivering information in a reasonable time frame. But I found this one so information dense and well made that I got all the way through it. It's actually quite engaging.

You are correct, the "eye for an eye" strategy called "tit for tat" was far and away the most effective strategy OVERALL when the relations between the two interacting parties was NOT fleeting but ongoing. The equivalent game simulation to "turn the other cheek" lost because it was too much of a pushover. There needs to be consequences for being a bad actor, and they need to be clear and immediate.

There was, however, a Christian-like component even to the Tit for Tat strategy, which is one of forgiveness. When the opponent cooperated, Tit for Tat immediately let go of the past aggressions and acted as if they had never happened. It retaliated quickly and decisively in response to an aggression, but did not "hold it against" the opponent either. In fact, by making the Tit for Tat strategy about 10% "more forgiving", it was even more effective, particularly in simulations with real-word "noise".

While my personal view is that human nature is overall immutable and not likely to improve over time, game theory is a way of understanding human nature and dynamics and developing ways to foster as much cooperation as possible, and reinforcing the benefits of that in a way that tends to make other actors more cooperative. This is a way forward despite the limitations of human nature, and gives us hope that a better, safer, more peaceful world is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2024, 02:38 PM

15,995 posts, read 7,048,534 times
Watching the video i was a bit thrown off when the professor (?) who was explaining game theory suddenly threw in Christianity and “older” something. It seemed incongruent to me.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:07 PM

22,256 posts, read 19,253,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Watching the video i was a bit thrown off when the professor (?) who was explaining game theory suddenly threw in Christianity and “older” something. It seemed incongruent to me.
it is at the 15:01 minute marker. The most successful strategy is identified as having four elements as consistently best performing. They are being:
1. nice
2. forgiving
3. retaliatory (provokable)
4. clear

The video states, "What is mind-blowing about this is that these four principles (being nice, forgiving, provokable and clear) is a lot like the morality that has evolved around the world that is often summarized as an eye for an eye. It is not Christianity by the way. It is not turn the other cheek philosophy. It is some older philosophy" that is the consistently highest performing most successful.

that is what the video says

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 04-27-2024 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-27-2024, 03:22 PM

"cooperation pays. even among rivals."
from the video

Old 04-27-2024, 06:33 PM

1,757 posts, read 758,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
"cooperation pays. even among rivals."
from the video
I think that is a great bit of wisdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I don't usually watch videos for lack of time and because most videos aren't very efficient at delivering information in a reasonable time frame. But I found this one so information dense and well made that I got all the way through it. It's actually quite engaging.

You are correct, the "eye for an eye" strategy called "tit for tat" was far and away the most effective strategy OVERALL when the relations between the two interacting parties was NOT fleeting but ongoing. The equivalent game simulation to "turn the other cheek" lost because it was too much of a pushover. There needs to be consequences for being a bad actor, and they need to be clear and immediate.

There was, however, a Christian-like component even to the Tit for Tat strategy, which is one of forgiveness. When the opponent cooperated, Tit for Tat immediately let go of the past aggressions and acted as if they had never happened. It retaliated quickly and decisively in response to an aggression, but did not "hold it against" the opponent either. In fact, by making the Tit for Tat strategy about 10% "more forgiving", it was even more effective, particularly in simulations with real-word "noise".

While my personal view is that human nature is overall immutable and not likely to improve over time, game theory is a way of understanding human nature and dynamics and developing ways to foster as much cooperation as possible, and reinforcing the benefits of that in a way that tends to make other actors more cooperative. This is a way forward despite the limitations of human nature, and gives us hope that a better, safer, more peaceful world is possible.
Yes, I also found the video as fascinating.

You make a great point about the "forgiveness" aspect of Christianity in the "tit for tat" strategy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Looking forward to following the thread.
Awesome! I thought it was an interesting topic.

Oh, and I can't believe, I forgot to mention that I have a 4th messy boy who keeps me busy.... ....he is 34 years and 7 months old.....

Old 04-27-2024, 06:37 PM

forgiveness is not unique to Christianity.
it is an aspect of many (if not most) paths of religion and spirituality.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:41 PM

Quote:
forgiveness is not unique to Christianity.
it is an aspect of many (if not most) paths of religion and spirituality.
This is correct. It is also not unique to religion and spirituality.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
This is correct. It is also not unique to religion and spirituality.
that is correct also.
however this is the religion and spirituality forum, so topics (forgiveness in this instance) are discussed in that framework.

Old 04-27-2024, 10:23 PM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
that is correct also.
however this is the religion and spirituality forum, so topics (forgiveness in this instance) are discussed in that framework.
And for many of us part of our spirituality includes the concept of forgiveness inside of or outside of formal religion. Principle of morality not necessarily based on formal religion.

Old 04-28-2024, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And for many of us part of our spirituality includes the concept of forgiveness inside of or outside of formal religion. Principle of morality not necessarily based on formal religion.
Forgiveness and morality are borrowed by religion, not created or sustained by it. They like you to think they are indispensable to both, though. But religions are just part of society, not its wellspring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality