Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2024, 06:00 AM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times

Advertisements

5,000 congregations have joined the UK's Evangelical Alliance in the past year alone.

https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct...er-secula.html

They admit that much of that growth has come from congregations that were already theologically aligned with the organization, that it is the result of a membership drive. But the closing quote in this article tells me that the UK is about to have more of what we already have here in the US: meddling in the larger culture.
Quote:
We must hold our nerve theologically. Do not compromise on the things that matter in the Word of God, no matter what the price tag within your culture, and then go for it wholeheartedly in sharing the gospel.
Two interesting differences from evangelicals in the US. One, this organization, which goes back to the middle 19th century, has always been explicitly about political influence. Two, it is more diverse. For example, a lot more people of color.

Still ... "no matter what the price tag within your culture"? I suppose he means no matter what it costs Christians, but what it ends up meaning is no matter what it imposes outside your in-group.

All I can say to our friends in the UK is, good luck with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 06:07 AM

169 posts, read 30,728 times
Most evangelicals in US are people of color.

Old 04-18-2024, 03:09 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Sounds like the church where I go has many new people coming, and the seating is full every meeting with people of many races and all getting along Just the way Jesus like it ...... See all the races all equal loving God as one with no differences..........

Old 04-18-2024, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
Most evangelicals in US are people of color.
Sources?

I make a distinction between fundamentalists and evangelicals, although there's overlap.

It is true that evangelicalism broadly is more racially diverse in the US that it is generally thought to be but as I posted in another thread, those evangelicals are rather frustrated being saddled with the more white nationalist image to the point where one pastor being interviewed said he is getting away from the evangelical label altogether. Although what he was using in its place he didn't say.

Old 04-18-2024, 03:44 PM

50,804 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Sounds like the church where I go has many new people coming, and the seating is full every meeting with people of many races and all getting along Just the way Jesus like it ...... See all the races all equal loving God as one with no differences..........
Sounds so unique as to be nonexistent.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:14 PM

169 posts, read 30,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Sources?

I make a distinction between fundamentalists and evangelicals, although there's overlap.

It is true that evangelicalism broadly is more racially diverse in the US that it is generally thought to be but as I posted in another thread, those evangelicals are rather frustrated being saddled with the more white nationalist image to the point where one pastor being interviewed said he is getting away from the evangelical label altogether. Although what he was using in its place he didn't say.
Most evangelicals seem to share the same beliefs regardless of color. So I don't understand about so-called white national evangelicals. Where would these people even exist in the US?

Old 04-18-2024, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
Most evangelicals seem to share the same beliefs regardless of color. So I don't understand about so-called white national evangelicals. Where would these people even exist in the US?
Again, despite overlap, I'm talking fundamentalists, not evangelicals.

They exist in the Bible Belt primarily. I can't really discuss the evidence because it spills into politics, but if you live in the US you'd have to live under a rock not to be aware of their influence on public policy.

To be clear I don't mean (just) people espousing white supremacy, but nationalists who happen to be white. And by nationalists I mean fascistic leaning if not outright fascist. Usually with a theocratic flavor and a confusion of other notions tossed in, such as that the US is, or ever was, a "Christian nation" to which we need to return. And if you're a nationalist your bogeyman needn't be persons of color, but immigrants, the "woke", or any "outsider" really.

I remember this really weird interview with such a person in Texas near the border, and he was practically weeping when talking about projects he's involved in to provide school lunches in a school full of poor immigrants ... and then he went on to say he's in favor of closed borders and keeping them ruffians out of the country. So I don't think they necessarily feel hatred to outsiders, or they don't connect outsiders with actual people, or ... something.

Old 04-19-2024, 03:59 AM

3,801 posts, read 2,996,947 times
I’m not sure if the UK Evangelical Alliance is growing that fast or not, it’s been around a long time:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Eva...an%20nature%3B

The UK is obviously very secular now, with the mainline Protestant group of the Church of England (or high church Anglican) being the main and state church.
Whether Evangelicals start becoming the more prominent religion is a long way off.

Old 04-19-2024, 08:10 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Sounds so unique as to be nonexistent.
Sounds like my church, too. Hardly nonexistent.

Old 04-19-2024, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
I’m not sure if the UK Evangelical Alliance is growing that fast or not, it’s been around a long time:

https://www.britannica.com/topic/Eva...an%20nature%3B

The UK is obviously very secular now, with the mainline Protestant group of the Church of England (or high church Anglican) being the main and state church.
Whether Evangelicals start becoming the more prominent religion is a long way off.
Yeah they've been around since the middle 19th century but unlike US fundamentalists until about 40 or 50 years ago, their actual charter is to garner political influence. I think their current leader is just doing a better job of promoting the association and/or conditions are favorable as UK society devolves in various ways. He admits many of those are, if I understand him correctly, long-lapsed memberships renewing.

But he also brags about being in and out of 10 Downing St. and other halls of power, which UK secularists should find concerning. All the UK needs on top of all its other problems is a fundamentalist lobby pulling strings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality