Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2024, 04:54 PM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
Do you honestly think that liberal mainline churches are somehow more integrated?

Mainline churches are a lot more focused on liberal issues, as opposed to the social issues that Jesus spoke about.
Sorry, but your anecdote doesn't trump real data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 06:03 PM

172 posts, read 33,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The churches I'm somewhat familiar with here where I live? Yes, the liberal mainline churches welcome anybody to come and worship with them

The social issues Jesus spoke are ARE liberal issues. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, take in the homeless, and, generally, help those who happen to be less fortunate than yourself.
I would only disagree on your defining those as liberal.

Old 04-22-2024, 06:08 PM

What I mean is that those churches are not very accepting of the poor and needy inside their buildings. In spite of what they may preach from the pulpit.
There is often a disparity between what is preached versus what is done in actual practice.

Old 04-22-2024, 07:24 PM

16,680 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
What I mean is that those churches are not very accepting of the poor and needy inside their buildings. In spite of what they may preach from the pulpit.
There is often a disparity between what is preached versus what is done in actual practice.
No, the churches I'm talking about actually do stuff to help people. One has a free dinner weekly. Another houses a food bank and a program that feeds people 2 meals a day. Another has a shelter with showers and laundry. Want some more examples?

Old 04-22-2024, 09:06 PM

I'll believe you, even though it does contradict the norm.

Old 04-23-2024, 08:07 PM

23,176 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Believers are always the worse sinners, but there is some good folks feeding the poor, housing them, and all have good intentions. I used to donate to a food bank shelter and I hit hard times, stranded and had to use the shelter, but I was so damned offended I left the next morning feeling ashamed I had supported them, they gave the good ones a bad name.

Old 04-24-2024, 05:24 AM

16,680 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
I don't think you know what the norm is.

Old Yesterday, 09:08 AM

29,552 posts, read 9,737,716 times
Quote:
"Often a disparity..."

Gotta love it. I have a little trouble agreeing with many a post of yours, but this one is all too true all too often.

Old Today, 08:01 AM

17,815 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
I would only disagree on your defining those as liberal.
First of all... Haven't you ever heard of "liberals' labeled as "bleeding hearts" or "do gooders"? Why do you think they get called those things?

You don't want to give so called "liberal" churches credit for the work they do with the poor because they don't let them into the church apparently.

Well, I'd suggest you go down to the church of your choice on the good side of town where you live there in Texas and see how many poors are attending services there?

If you want to see poor people in church you need to go to the poor side of town.

All of the churches of means keep the poor and downtrodden at arms length.

Old Today, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
First of all... Haven't you ever heard of "liberals' labeled as "bleeding hearts" or "do gooders"? Why do you think they get called those things?

You don't want to give so called "liberal" churches credit for the work they do with the poor because they don't let them into the church apparently.

Well, I'd suggest you go down to the church of your choice on the good side of town where you live there in Texas and see how many poors are attending services there?

If you want to see poor people in church you need to go to the poor side of town.

All of the churches of means keep the poor and downtrodden at arms length.
Churches on the poor side of town. You mean CONSERVATIVE churches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality