Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 03:37 PM

20,028 posts, read 13,501,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
I don't need to substantiate anything that is common knowledge.

People don't have to believe if they don't want to.
Common knowledge in whose universe? But whatevs, that's fine. You can reject someone else's experience, cited evidence, etc in the service of belief if you're a True Believer. Needn't even admit the POSSIBILITY that there could be ANY truth to it. It's one way to roll, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 07:44 AM

17,815 posts, read 13,713,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Not trying to be pedantic but evangelical <> fundamentalist. You are battling what you regard as myths about one by pointing out the less strident aspects of the other.

I grew up in fundamentalism. I never even MET a person of color until I left home and got out into the Real World. And to this day I don't think you'll find un-closeted LGBTQ persons in even evangelical churches as they are for the most part not welcoming places for that kind of diversity. For that you have to get into more liberal precincts of Christianity. Even this leader of UK evangelicals quoted in the article was using opposition to trans persons as some sort of shibboleth.
Seems like fundamentalism is a component of a more broad based evangelical realm.

Both groups seem to believe in basically the same thing...

Fundamentalists just do more complaining about the world at large and how evil it is. They want you to be "saved".

Your typical evangelical doesn't get as worked up about the world....They seem to be more oriented toward being "born again"... and how Jesus can fulfill you with his joy and all that.

Unfortunately, I don't think you will find a lot of "diversity" in either camp.

Probably more than there used to be but like MLK said.... "Sunday morning is the most segregated day of the week".

Old 04-22-2024, 10:28 AM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Most evangelicals in US are people of color.
Where do you get that?

https://www.pewresearch.org/religiou...al-protestant/

Old 04-22-2024, 11:00 AM

172 posts, read 33,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are more Bible believing/ conservative churches in areas that are more integrated in my observation. Maybe the chart can't show that.

Old 04-22-2024, 11:39 AM

50,867 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
There are more Bible believing/ conservative churches in areas that are more integrated in my observation. Maybe the chart can't show that.
Sorry, but your anecdote doesn't trump real data.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:08 PM

172 posts, read 33,339 times
Do you honestly think that liberal mainline churches are somehow more integrated?

Mainline churches are a lot more focused on liberal issues, as opposed to the social issues that Jesus spoke about.

Old 04-22-2024, 02:57 PM

11,114 posts, read 7,174,871 times
Quote:
Most evangelicals in US are people of color.
Unlikely, with all the racism on the rise in churches. But if that helps you sleep at night...

Old 04-22-2024, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Mainline churches are a lot more focused on liberal issues, as opposed to the social issues that Jesus spoke about.
So Jesus didn't say to be kind and generous to the strangers among you? Did he ever say to think the worst of them, assume they are all criminals and terrorists and competitors for jobs you'd actually want, and turn them away in their hour of greatest need? Did he say to give people who are hungry food, or make them buy it? Did Jesus not say that to offer kindness and aid to the least among you is to do the same for him?

Really the difference between the liberal denominations and the illiberal ones is just what things Jesus commented on that each group wishes to pay attention to.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:18 PM

16,680 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Do you honestly think that liberal mainline churches are somehow more integrated?

The churches I'm somewhat familiar with here where I live? Yes, the liberal mainline churches welcome anybody to come and worship with them

The social issues Jesus spoke are ARE liberal issues. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, take in the homeless, and, generally, help those who happen to be less fortunate than yourself.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
The churches I'm somewhat familiar with here where I live? Yes, the liberal mainline churches welcome anybody to come and worship with them

The social issues Jesus spoke are ARE liberal issues. Feed the hungry, clothe the naked, take in the homeless, and, generally, help those who happen to be less fortunate than yourself.
I'm afraid to ask what he thinks the important "social issues" are. Probably mostly involves conformity in sexual and adjacent matters, I'd wager.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality