Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2024, 04:54 PM

3,805 posts, read 3,002,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
UK is kinda weird when it comes Christian's arent they? I sure watched them put street preachers in jail like the government is totally against Christianity, I mean, it would appear that they need some kind of Christian Revolution in the UK
Christian Revolution?
The UK is a secular state, not a theocracy- despite the Church of England being the national religion, with many millions of baptised members. (many of these are also inactive and just cultural Christians)
Freedom of Religion is what it’s all about, and anyone should be free to practice what they want, or to have no religious affiliation or theist beliefs.
On the original topic, Evangelical Christianity is not going to take over the UK in a hurry, as the figures don’t tell us the full story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2024, 05:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 10,468,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Christian Revolution?
The UK is a secular state, not a theocracy- despite the Church of England being the national religion, with many millions of baptised members. (many of these are also inactive and just cultural Christians)
Freedom of Religion is what it’s all about, and anyone should be free to practice what they want, or to have no religious affiliation or theist beliefs.
On the original topic, Evangelical Christianity is not going to take over the UK in a hurry, as the figures don’t tell us the full story.
If anyone is free to practice their own beliefs then why do they put street preachers in jail?

Well, I an not the most educated person, you might know more on the subject

Old 04-20-2024, 07:30 PM

20,029 posts, read 13,501,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
If anyone is free to practice their own beliefs then why do they put street preachers in jail?
Street preachers go to jail for the same reason anyone does -- breaking the law. Since there are no laws against preaching the gospel, they must be breaking some other law. I wonder what that could be? Something to do with public nuisance / disturbing the peace most likely. The vast majority of preachers ply their trade all the time without the slightest problem. It may have something to do with following the law while doing so.

You might as well say that the Catholic Church isn't free to practice their own beliefs when our local diocese here was bankrupted by lawsuits coming from former altar boys.

Old 04-20-2024, 08:47 PM

172 posts, read 33,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek41 View Post
Christian Revolution?
This will probably go against the popular myths and legends about fundamentalist churches, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Church of England lacks the diversity that is more commonly found in evangelical churches. As it is in the US, where the more liberal mainline churches are not as diverse.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:37 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I'm afraid I missed what he was doing there, leading with "churches, organizations" and then "individuals" ... implying more significance (a LOT more) than is warranted ... it is actually mostly individuals, even though he listed them last. And of course ... he's trying to puff the significance to gain more influence in government circles. Perhaps it ends up being "more" in a "twice nothing is still nothing" sort of way. Which I am happy that it's the case. The UK has enough problems without some fundamentalist juggernaut coming out of left field to mess things up yet more.
It is a misleading title and wording.
Kinda making a mountain out of a molehill as they say. Though as Mystic said its a big leap within the organisation but proportionally to the UK it's still tiny.

Old 04-20-2024, 10:41 PM

10,535 posts, read 6,172,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaveOnn View Post
This will probably go against the popular myths and legends about fundamentalist churches, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Church of England lacks the diversity that is more commonly found in evangelical churches. As it is in the US, where the more liberal mainline churches are not as diverse.
Of course. The US is a more diverse nation than the UK.

Old 04-21-2024, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Not trying to be pedantic but evangelical <> fundamentalist. You are battling what you regard as myths about one by pointing out the less strident aspects of the other.

I grew up in fundamentalism. I never even MET a person of color until I left home and got out into the Real World. And to this day I don't think you'll find un-closeted LGBTQ persons in even evangelical churches as they are for the most part not welcoming places for that kind of diversity. For that you have to get into more liberal precincts of Christianity. Even this leader of UK evangelicals quoted in the article was using opposition to trans persons as some sort of shibboleth.

Old 04-21-2024, 08:13 AM

Some myths are so unbelievable and absurd.

Old 04-21-2024, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Some myths are so unbelievable and absurd.
You keep saying that but failing to substantiate it in any way. You seem to be claiming that evangelicals = fundamentalists and both are wonderfully diverse and never fall short in this regard. In the US, no less.

I have pointed out the fact (not the myth) of my own 60 years in and out of Christian fundamentalism. It was so homogeneously white that I grew up basically thinking that black folks lived strictly in urban ghettoes, where they rioted for some reason that was never clear to me. That was the full extent of the diversity in my in-group -- what I saw on the nightly news, curated almost entirely by white men.

Yes there are black churches who are fairly conservative theologically and might fairly be described as "evangelical". How this is any different from your stereotypical white person protesting that some of his best friends are black as somehow proof that he isn't racist or exclusionary, I don't pretend to know.

Old 04-21-2024, 03:14 PM

I don't need to substantiate anything that is common knowledge.

People don't have to believe if they don't want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality