Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 10:28 AM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times

Advertisements

There's room for improvements on both sides. With religion, people often move too quickly to accept and assume. And with science - especially on spiritual matters - there's a desire to quickly deny possibilities and not look any further.

Avoiding the knee-jerk, glass-full approach of needing everything solved and completed leaves room for possible input / review / new understanding. Spiritual seekers and scientists both should be leaving the "windows" fully open, and not afraid of anything to review (to either reinforce or refute), and then continue in that mode. Beliefs and theories can and should be refined, but the process should never stop. Everything in life is about discovery. The journey can count more than the destination, and we might even find sometimes that there is no destination. But we continue to move, just as the universe is dynamic and continuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 10:59 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
There’s many so called Biblical Christians who say everything in the Bible must be true, even if it defies science and any supporting evidence.
The creation stories, the great flood, do not add up.
Lots wife turning into a pillar of salt (for a fairly innocuous transgression) is another one.
Many ancient and indigenous peoples invented stories about how certain rock and geological formations etc came about, which are just fables and folklore.
Many OT stories have to be looked at in a similar way.
Science and religion can coexist, and not be totally incompatible.
But if one wants to take the whole Bible as a literal reference book, then it may prove difficult.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:05 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
I think science has basically killed religion.

Science has proven that religion is wrong about most things it says are supposedly true, especially about the supernatural.

At this point, only the final nail in the coffin remains to be hammered in.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:11 AM

3,797 posts, read 2,992,667 times
I’ve got a problem when guys like this try to invalidate science and evolution.
Ray Comfort’s famous banana video;

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BXLqDG...ature=emb_logo

And then these guys are also giving “seminars” debunking biological evolution at their church.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:29 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There's room for improvements on both sides. With religion, people often move too quickly to accept and assume. And with science - especially on spiritual matters - there's a desire to quickly deny possibilities and not look any further.

Avoiding the knee-jerk, glass-full approach of needing everything solved and completed leaves room for possible input / review / new understanding. Spiritual seekers and scientists both should be leaving the "windows" fully open, and not afraid of anything to review (to either reinforce or refute), and then continue in that mode. Beliefs and theories can and should be refined, but the process should never stop. Everything in life is about discovery. The journey can count more than the destination, and we might even find sometimes that there is no destination. But we continue to move, just as the universe is dynamic and continuous.
I'm not sure I agree.

I see science as having a check on religion. And after all, it's not usually the body of science that is trying to stick its nose into the world of religion, it's usually religious people trying to manipulate science to prove what cannot be proven.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:30 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

Science has proven that religion is wrong about most things it says are supposedly true, especially about the supernatural.

I might not go quite that far...but I think you're heading in the right direction.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:36 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Science it tangible.
Religion in intangible.

You can't prove the intangible and you can't convince people who don't believe in the intangible so why bother ?
Good point. Science does not have the means to measure or analyze the God-mind. Many scientists are also religious, so there is no problem. Some scientists are not and THEY may have a conflict-or not. It is a problem only if one sees it as such.

Old 04-15-2024, 11:57 AM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'm not sure I agree.

I see science as having a check on religion. And after all, it's not usually the body of science that is trying to stick its nose into the world of religion, it's usually religious people trying to manipulate science to prove what cannot be proven.
Really? It must depend on what they seek from religion.
Most people I know who can be described as religious have no such need. Many of them are scientists themselves and are devoted and ardent worshippers. They have no conflict. Some religions believe there is only God, and science is within God. So no conflict.

Old 04-15-2024, 03:31 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
... you can't convince people who don't believe in the intangible so why bother ?
Do you view it as your job to convince others?

Old 04-15-2024, 04:00 PM

1,475 posts, read 478,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post

I'm hoping that another and more deadly virus will not be released from a science lab.

I also hope that those nuclear bombs that scientists created and placed in many unstable hands, don't start being sent to cities across the globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality