Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

2,435 posts, read 1,452,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Apparently you are missing the point. The Bible expresses the mistaken view of the cosmos that was held by ancient peoples and presents it as being true. They were wrong and the Bible is wrong.

The people aren't wrong concerning the history as presented in the scriptures. (And they weren't "wrong" concerning the sky either) I believe it is scientists who are wrong concerning the history of the cosmos. Their analysis is based on observation from this earth, even observation coming from light so far away that seemingly takes billions of years to reach our eyes. If the premise of our understanding is wrong, then just about every reasoning we have will be wrong after it, especially concerning origins.

There was a time when cosmologists of the past thought our universe always existed as it was in a way. Then observation reversed this due to the expansion of the universe. We say if the universe is expanding, everything had to have been closer together, even a single point. Yet if we accept the universe will continue to expand, there will be a day where the light from distant galaxies will no longer reach the observer. For the observer of that day, his science will tell him the universe has always been. Because his galaxy will be the only one around. This is the limitations of science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavenese View Post
The people aren't wrong concerning the history as presented in the scriptures. (And they weren't "wrong" concerning the sky either) I believe it is scientists who are wrong concerning the history of the cosmos. Their analysis is based on observation from this earth, even observation coming from light so far away that seemingly takes billions of years to reach our eyes. If the premise of our understanding is wrong, then just about every reasoning we have will be wrong after it, especially concerning origins.

There was a time when cosmologists of the past thought our universe always existed as it was in a way. Then observation reversed this due to the expansion of the universe. We say if the universe is expanding, everything had to have been closer together, even a single point. Yet if we accept the universe will continue to expand, there will be a day where the light from distant galaxies will no longer reach the observer. For the observer of that day, his science will tell him the universe has always been. Because his galaxy will be the only one around. This is the limitations of science.
Did you go to high school? Did you take basic earth science, probably in the 9th grade. What levels of science courses did you take in college?

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Did you go to high school? Did you take basic earth science, probably in the 9th grade. What levels of science courses did you take in college?
I did go to school. Compared to the general population, my knowledge of science is pretty decent.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

33,266 posts, read 26,477,412 times
Quote:

The ancient Hebrews, as well as the other ancient Near Eastern peoples were absolutely wrong about their concept of the cosmos. The sun, moon, and stars do NOT reside in a solid dome that covers the earth and which rests upon pillars (mountains) at the edge of the world. If a person believes something which is not true then their belief is wrong. Yours is a silly attempt to defend the inerrancy of the Bible. There is no solid dome covering the earth. Just ask any astronaut who has gone out into space.

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM

50,860 posts, read 24,371,727 times
Quote:
I did go to school. Compared to the general population, my knowledge of science is pretty decent.
As a former science teacher...no. Just no.

Old Yesterday, 04:07 PM

63,840 posts, read 40,128,566 times
Quote:
I feel sorry for the scientists who truly believe the scientific method as being our best way of knowing the truth of all reality. They will always be learning, but never come to the knowledge of the truth.

But Scripture teaches these things will be revealed to the humble and the children of Yahweh. It states God has hidden these things from the wise, but revealed them to babes. If I don't fully comprehend the scientific method, that's alright because that method will never come to the complete answers behind the questions of our universe and world.
Oh please, limitations are the human condition. But you believe the musings of our primitive ancient ancestors are our best source of knowledge about Reality???? I know our Reality itself is consciousness. I can believe their musings were the result of inspirations they tried to interpret and explain as best they could given their lack of valid knowledge of Reality. But come on! You are sadly mistaken if you think we have not evolved our capability to understand Reality in two millennia and counting.

Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM

22,233 posts, read 19,245,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
The ancient Hebrews, as well as the other ancient Near Eastern peoples were absolutely wrong about their concept of the cosmos. The sun, moon, and stars do NOT reside in a solid dome that covers the earth and which rests upon pillars (mountains) at the edge of the world. If a person believes something which is not true then their belief is wrong. Yours is a silly attempt to defend the inerrancy of the Bible. There is no solid dome covering the earth. Just ask any astronaut who has gone out into space.
people today, probably including yourself, use the phrases "sunrise" and "sunset."
the words sunrise and sunset are widely published in books and newspapers and encyclopedias. charts are published showing the geometry angle and position of the sun showing it as low in the sky or high in the sky. This information is propagated and used by sailors to navigate, and farmers and gardeners for planting.

therefore people today, yourself included believe that the sun moves and the earth does not. this is widely documented.

see how that logic is flawed?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Yesterday at 04:38 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
As a former science teacher...no. Just no.

Would you say my teachers failed me? Backing up to something you mentioned earlier concerning medicine, I won't stop using those things because of science. I acknowledge the limitations of science, not that I despise it. Viewing science in terms of medicine, there is also a devious side as well. Its possible a lot of cancer cases that come up in this day and age could be the result of the chemically engineered food we consume in the US. Perhaps for some of the things science has produced, it would be considered wisdom to stay away from.

All that said, when King Jesus comes back to the earth, in that day people will be living well pass 500 years old. Jesus will rule over the earth and the people will follow His laws. In that day, Jesus won't be operating according to science, but He will be operating according to omniscience! You will have to go back to school and get a degree from Zion University to become an omniscience teacher.

Last edited by Heavenese; Yesterday at 04:28 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Oh please, limitations are the human condition. But you believe the musings of our primitive ancient ancestors are our best source of knowledge about Reality???? I know our Reality itself is consciousness. I can believe their musings were the result of inspirations they tried to interpret and explain as best they could given their lack of valid knowledge of Reality. But come on! You are sadly mistaken if you think we have not evolved our capability to understand Reality in two millennia and counting.

The writers of the scriptures wrote by the leading of the Spirit of God. There is a human touch to it, as they wrote from their understanding. Overall in terms of science, it is almost a given that we will never find the absolute truth behind reality using it. In Quantum Mechanics, if you try to observe the smallest things in existence, the very observation causes it to change its nature. Its like reality itself is purposefully hiding its secrets.

Then you have the question of Dark Energy and Dark Matter. Stuff that makes up over 95% of the universe. According to science it passes through us and has no real interaction with matter as we know it. (Except it's gravitational effects) So how, HOW are we to know what reality is using such a limited method? I would argue the one real way to ever know everything, is if God exists and He tells us. Outside of that, everything falls short. Infinitely short. (Of course for you Mystic, I know you believe in a higher being, so you may agree with me in some of these points.)

Old Yesterday, 04:33 PM

16,678 posts, read 15,688,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
people today, probably including yourself, use the phrases "sunrise" and "sunset."
the words sunrise and sunset are widely published in books and newspapers and encyclopedias.
therefore people today, yourself included believe that the sun moves and the earth does not. this is widely documented.

see how that logic is flawed?

I don't think there is a single person on the face of the earth (with the possible exception of Heavenese) that believes the sun moves and the earth doesn't. Using the term "sunrise" doesn't imply that the user thinks the sun is actually rising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality