Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to live in a world without evil
Yes 17 73.91%
No 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 08:33 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuakerBaker View Post
Yes....

Now, would this perfect world also include me not being cold all the time, my husband lowering the thermostat and then claiming its my fault for eating a "calorie deficit diet" by being a vegetarian somehow causing me to be cold....then when I give him a look he compliments me for being "classy by staying fit".....its torturous.

In all seriousness...it would be nice for "temperature" to not exist...
My wife is always feeling colder than I am and/or I am always feeling warmer than most people around me. My wife is also a vegetarian and also "classy" as you describe. I appreciate that too.

Fortunately where we live is never too hot or too cold, which is really good for me because just a little too warm and I start to feel sticky. My wife and I both don't care for the cold much. If it gets below 60 here we start to complain. As for no temperature to exist, however, that'd be something like going without the seasons. Sometimes the extremes help us better appreciate what we otherwise tend to take for granted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 11:19 AM

15,965 posts, read 7,027,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Your conclusion relies on your premise being true. What if it is not? What if evil and good exists outside of your mind?
It was rhetorical. Evil and good are judgements that exist in the mind. Scientists who examine the world do not speak in terms of evil and good because there is no evidence of such. Why would atheists?

Old 04-23-2024, 11:20 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
It was rhetorical. Evil and good are judgements that exist in the mind. Scientists who examine the world do not speak in terms of evil and good because there is no evidence of such. Why would atheists?
First of all, notice the drastic difference in the two terms: good versus evil.

Second, depends on how one is defining one or both terms.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
First of all, notice the drastic difference in the two terms: good versus evil.

Second, depends on how one is defining one or both terms.
I notice the difference but don’t get the implication other than they are opposites. They are not entities that have an existence, there is no evidence of such. The judgement is in the mind alone.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I notice the difference but don’t get the implication other than they are opposites. They are not entities that have an existence, there is no evidence of such. The judgement is in the mind alone.
I'll give you two examples.

Let's say you're coming out of the grocery store and an older patron's grocery bag had split open. You walk buy and have two choices:

a. stop and help
b. continue on because you're going to be late to an appointment

Is stopping and helping "good". I assume you would say yes.
Is continuing on with what you're doing evil? Not nice. But evil?

I don't see them as antonyms.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I'll give you two examples.

Let's say you're coming out of the grocery store and an older patron's grocery bag had split open. You walk buy and have two choices:

a. stop and help
b. continue on because you're going to be late to an appointment

Is stopping and helping "good". I assume you would say yes.
Is continuing on with what you're doing evil? Not nice. But evil?

I don't see them as antonyms.
Ok. That is not the point of my post. Are you making a point regarding existence of good and evil as entities? There is no evidence of such.

Old 04-23-2024, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Ok. That is not the point of my post. Are you making a point regarding existence of good and evil as entities? There is no evidence of such.
No, I am not. I am using descriptive terms with no mention of god or the devil or any such being.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:32 PM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
Because 'evil' and 'good' describe actions that occur outside of the mind. So if you could eradicate the concept from your mind, all you would be doing is burying your head in the sand, not resolving (or running from) the actual problem.

This appears to be a common theme with your posts, where your spiritual journey to find your true self, a perfect other you that probably does not exist, ignores the reality of the world. It is an ironically egotistical desire that ignores that people are social animals, with different goals, abilities and needs.

It is ironic that a spiritual journey to kill the ego and remove desire is an egotistical desire.

Old Yesterday, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because 'evil' and 'good' describe actions that occur outside of the mind. So if you could eradicate the concept from your mind, all you would be doing is burying your head in the sand, not resolving (or running from) the actual problem.

This appears to be a common theme with your posts, where your spiritual journey to find your true self, a perfect other you that probably does not exist, ignores the reality of the world. It is an ironically egotistical desire that ignores that people are social animals, with different goals, abilities and needs.

It is ironic that a spiritual journey to kill the ego and remove desire is an egotistical desire.
describing an act as evil or good is judgement. judgement is in the mind. the mind is not always a reliable judge, it is limited by its own sickness, bias, ignorance. some of your statements above are good examples.

Old Yesterday, 05:03 AM

16,779 posts, read 4,982,520 times
Quote:
describing an act as evil or good is judgement. judgement is in the mind. the mind is not always a reliable judge, it is limited by its own sickness, bias, ignorance.
The fact that people getting hurt is usually a bad thing, and being made happy is good, are big clues. Perhaps to stop your sickness, bias and ignorance (as if you do not suffer the problems you assign to others ), you could try adding some logic to your spiritual path.

Quote:
some of your statements above are good examples.
Yet you have not explained why. Is it because I am in the metaphorical gold. <-- No question symbol, it is a rhetorical question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality